New Spanish Tractor Autogiro

I am struck by the "no properly designed" statement

I am struck by the "no properly designed" statement

Does this mean that a properly designed aircraft will never fail in such a way that a parachute would save the day ? I want to find one of those devices for sure. In the meantime, I am willing to consider a parachute if it is demonstrated to work when it is supposed to.

Gus

I am willing to consider a parachute if it is demonstrated to work when it is supposed to.

Gus

And that's the problem. In an auto-gyro, your rotors ARE your parachute. Weight is a common problem, so adding one wouldn't benefit you. MY OPINION ONLY.

Damage caused by a parachute only complicates the problem.

Boeings, Airbuses and a lot of high tech aircraft are designed not to fail but still they crash. There´s so many factors involving an aviation accident that the design itself is not enough warranty for a fail safe operation. It happens everyday.
Regarding the gyro, yes, the rotor is your parachute IF you still have one turning properly. How many people have died in properly designed gyros who got into trouble with low G manouevers? Gyros are no exception to accidents. Yes they are safer but still they fall, like any other flying device. And the pilot in most ocassions is directly responsible. In some cases some bad luck intervenes but it´s a fatality at the end anyway. It´s just plain and cold stadistics.
Regarding weight, this is obviously a handicap but in our case, our machine weights 290 kilograms (empty) INCLUDING the parachute and this is with a Rotax 914 Turbo engine on it. I´m talking of aprox. 600 pounds. Are there many big side by side fully enclosed gyros with those figures?
Our integrated parachute system is for all of those who may get into trouble some day for whatever reason, hopefully decreasing and not increasing those nasty stadistics.

I hope it is a success for you.

Your also assuming the pilot will deploy the chute. By your own estimate, it won't happen.

Last edited:
@ masta roda: so apparently SC doesn't intend to compete to producers installing parachutes?
@ Carlos: Hi, nice to meet you here!

Hi Michael, I still have some time for visiting this forum while I finish the prototype!

@ masta roda: so apparently SC doesn't intend to compete to producers installing parachutes?
@ Carlos: Hi, nice to meet you here!

As stated on our website

"CAN I USE A BALLISTIC PARACHUTE?
We do not feel it is safe to attach a ballistic chute to a rotorcraft, because of the chance of an accidental deployment and the affect that would have on your spinning rotor system."

...properly designed gyrocopter

...properly designed gyrocopter

Like you said before, A properly designed gyro shouldn't need a parachute. I guess it's one of those preferred safety options I wouldn't choose, no big deal.

In any case, I wish you great success!!

A proper design cannot avoid pilot's mishaps, loss of control or mid-air collisions. I would think that more gyro crashes have happened due to loss of control of the pilot, than because of design-related issues. The parachute efficiently tackles this problem.

I am confident that the tractor-configuration and the parachute will bring a new dimension of safety into gyrocopter design and in the future we might consider the pusher props as a design-inherent threat and our grandchildren will shake their heads about their granddaddies' bravery to have flown pusher prop gyrocopters .:lol:

A proper design cannot avoid pilot's mishaps, loss of control or mid-air collisions. I would think that more gyro crashes have happened due to loss of control of the pilot, than because of design-related issues. The parachute efficiently tackles this problem.

I am confident that the tractor-configuration and the parachute will bring a new dimension of safety into gyrocopter design and in the future we might consider the pusher props as a design-inherent threat and our grandchildren will shake their heads about their granddaddies' bravery to have flown pusher prop gyrocopters .:lol:

I disagree. A proper design CAN lessen the chance of incident with a "pilot's mishap". Look at castering nose wheels and long travel suspensions.

Design inherit threat???

How is a pusher gyro dangerous compared to tractor? They are all dangerous to the same degree.

I'm with Jon - parachutes + rotorcraft aren't a good mix.

Build a safe design & maintain it properly & the odds of needing such a system are almost nil...

You would need foolproof way to safely jettison the entire rotor system that's also incapable of being accidentally used, a tall order - and even then there's no guarantee you'll be in a safe position to use it. There's a reason even high dollar military combat helicopters don't have such systems, the drawbacks outweigh the potential benefits.

Just a thought about parachutes...

Just a thought about parachutes...

exactly when WOULD you use one?, I mean for most of my flying I am around 500 to 1000ft agl, if and that's a big if the rotor was to become instantly inoperative, how much reaction time would I have to use the BRS before I reached minimum safe distance? Now, this enclosed two seat jobber is designed to fly more along the lines of a fixed wing up high and for transportation from A to B. So there I am flying along at 10,000 ft when my engine stops, I am still going to ride it down to look for a suitable landing site, which gets me back to the 1000 or so altitude and the critical time factor on deciding when to use the parachute. On top of all this I am left wondering how many times has a gyros rotor become completely unusable in flight? I have seen some video where a bunt caused the rotors to chop off the gyros tail at an airshow I think. Kinda suck if that happened as this rig has the BRS in the tail!
But I sure do like the look of the gyro. I just wouldn't opt for spending the extra money.
Ben S

just a note: the BRS is standard equipment, you don't pay extra for it. As a pilot by profession, I can't understand why you would not want it. I want as many backup safety systems as I can fit into the aircraft I am flying.

In any event, you should always keep the height/ velocity diagram in the back of your mind and fly such that is you have an emergency you have energy/options.