New Rotary Engine ????

Illini85

I just found the website for a UK company called Advanced Innovative Engineering that has been working on single rotor Wankel style engines for autonomous craft applications. Harking back to Norton Motorcycle's design for a rotary engine they seem to have focused their efforts on cooling the rotor and reducing oil consumption. I found interesting their largest engine reportedly is 120 hp (at 8,000 rpm) single rotor, water cooled, fuel injected, dual plug, FADEC controlled, design that has a core weight of 62 lbs. Don't know if any of these are running outside of the lab yet or not. They have named a distributor for the US market.

So for what it is worth here it is.

Last edited:

jm-urbani

Aircraft
home built mono seat
Total Flight Time
200ish
imho not a new engine, only a new web site , I hope to be wrong

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
Fuel consumption is listed as "0.51 - 0.57 lb/bhp/hr". So for 120 bhp that's about 65 lbs/hr, or nearly eleven US gallons per hour?? Have I got that right?
It seems to burn its own weight in fuel in just one hour.

Illini85

Fuel consumption is listed as "0.51 - 0.57 lb/bhp/hr". So for 120 bhp that's about 65 lbs/hr, or nearly eleven US gallons per hour?? Have I got that right?
It seems to burn its own weight in fuel in just one hour.
At full power I wouldn't doubt it. Fuel efficiency has never been the domain of rotary engines but one would think the injection and FADEC would help.

XXavier

Aircraft
FW Savannah XL + ELA R-100 and Magni M24 autogyros
Total Flight Time
1394 FW + 526 gyro (Oct. 2019)