New propeller for 914UL MT-03 / MTO Sport ?

rcflier

Experienced Gyroplane Pilot
Aircraft
Auto-Gyro MTO Sport 914 (upgraded MT-03)
Total Flight Time
35 as PIC
Hi.
I just bought this machine and afterwards discovered, the propeller has sort-of delaminated.
The fiber (glass?) har separated from the foam on a good part of the flat side of one blade.
Repair or new? If new, then which one? Bolly Magnum?

TIA
Cheers
Erik

Absolutely new.
I wish this was the first or second time I heard of this delamination of HTC prop.
Duc or Kiev Prop, Sensenich Prop or Warp Drive are good solid candidates. Warp drive has a high MOI and it tends to cause pre-mature damage to the gearbox over the long term. We use Kiev Prop right now 3 blade
Best of luck and safe flying

Erik,

Original HTC propellers are real junk, that is. They won't last long and there were many failure reports on them.

I tried different props for gyros and found (well, to the moment) that the best for the money would be Luga Prop. It has good thrust at low speed (for efficient take-off and safer flying at low altitudes), good thrust distribution from low speed to Vmax, and it has good leading edge protection which is a must for pusher prop. The least trump is that it costs two times less than any "Western" prop. I tried DUC, Helix, AirPlast and others - some are very good but they just cost two times more. KievProp is same inexpensive as Luga but it has not that good leading edge protection and it apparently has worse thrust through speed distribution.

I'd recommend 3-blade Luga for a 100 hp R912 engine and a 4-blader for a R914.

Check them at http://www.lugaprop.kiev.ua/index_en.html

You should contact E-prop.

They supply excellent carbon-fiber propellers. I installed a six-blade E-prop on my ELA gyro (100 hp) and it's giving good thrust and far less noise than the DUC or Helix three-bladers that I had before...

Yes, we have one gyro with the six-bladed e-prop. But the price...Arrrgh...

One problem is.. I have to buy one of the few propellers certified for the MTO Sport.
Those are HTC 3-blade (oh no), maybe a Woodcomp and then the IVO with the electric pitch control.
One is said to be crap (well, I know) and the IVO is soft and wobbly and extemely expensive.

If I don't I have to test the noise and I'm afraid whatever I'll buy will be too loud....

I'd much rather buy a Bolly Brolga Magnum or a Luga.

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:
Twistair,
The HTC prop is of 172 cm (68") diameter, and I don't remember the clearance to the tail.
(I can't easily get to my gyro. It's in a state airport, not a local one. Fences, security etc.)
Maybe I should write them, as none of their props seem to fit my needs?

Hmm, Scott is suggesting an AeroProp... They have a picture of one on a MT-03 gyro..

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:
There is still enough clearance for a 175 cm prop, Erik. Most of German gyros here in Russia fly with these 175 cm Luga props. The thing is that you'll need another spacer to install such prop since it has 75 mm bolts pattern. I also use to make these spacers a bit longer than standard HTC spacer is. This adds some prop efficiency.

DSC_0064_002.jpg

My gyro has the two side mounted radiators, not the one in front of the propeller. That should help some.

But no one is showing any suggested prices...

Cheers
Erik

Yesterday I got some good news: New European regs favoring gyros have been passed.

I was told: Go get the prop you want - we'll figure out the Mickey Mouse afterwards.

So I have asked several east european suppliers for propeller suggestions for my 914 - and prices.

Cheers
Erik

So I have asked several east european suppliers for propeller suggestions for my 914 - and prices.

Just a small remark: there are some sellers there who offer same Luga props under various other names =) One example is here on the forum: https://www.rotaryforum.com/threads/selling-3-bladed-carbon-fiber-propeller-right-rotation.46108/ He even uses photos taken from Luga website painting out the Luga prop logo on these photos.:ROFLMAO:

Contacting manufacturer directly saves you some cash ;)

Last edited:
Twistair, he was not among them...:cool:

I sent to Luga, Aeroprop and Kool.

E-prop is nice, but I can't find enough info to choose between 3, 4 or six blades.
And they are pricey.

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:
Kool props are that same Luga under another name ;) A guy who offers them lives mostly in Canada.

Well, I see no reason to send the propeller to Canada and most of the way back again...;)
I'm looking forward to a reply from Lugaprop. And I better get my gyro home, so I have good access.
Twistair, thank you for helping out.

Cheers
Erik

While waiting on my propeller, which static max. Turbo RPM is best, as it will of course unload in flight?

I believe I've read the number 5500 static (full turbo), but is that too high?

What does experience say?

TIA

Cheers
Erik

In Australia the Bolly prop is very popular and widely used throughout the country in pretty tough conditions. The after sales service provided by them is also first class.

Hi everyone and thank you for answering - I'd better update this.

I ended up buying an Aeroprop cut off to 173 cm diameter.

And he wrote static RPM should be 5200.

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:
Dear Twistair probably inattentively studied the history of the creation of this propeller. Do not hesitate, go to the site, read it! Our saber-shaped blades were developed by my colleagues Pavel Dimitrov and Anatoly Vasiliev in the city of Kharkiv in 1995-97. Pavel Dimitrov burned down last year in a plane that touched high-voltage wires. Modern blades are the product of joint work of engineers from Kharkiv, Kiev, and Luhansk. All photos on my site are sent by my customers. All photos have the originals.
Best regards, Vladimir Meglinsky
My site: http://propeller.simplesite.com/

Attachments

• Rossip.jpg
    Rossip.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 3_214.jpg
    3_214.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Изображение 010-.jpg
    Изображение 010-.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 16
Il caro Twistair probabilmente ha studiato distrattamente la storia della creazione di questa elica. Non esitare, vai al sito, leggilo! Le nostre lame a forma di sciabola sono state sviluppate dai miei colleghi Pavel Dimitrov e Anatoly Vasiliev nella città di Kharkiv nel 1995-97. Pavel Dimitrov è bruciato l'anno scorso in un aereo che ha toccato i cavi dell'alta tensione. Le lame moderne sono il prodotto del lavoro congiunto di ingegneri di Kharkiv, Kiev e Luhansk. Tutte le foto sul mio sito sono inviate dai miei clienti. Tutte le foto hanno gli originali.
Cordiali saluti, Vladimir Meglinsky
Il mio sito: http://propeller.simplesite.com/
Sstrange story !! true?

Ciao.
Ho appena comprato questa macchina e poi ho scoperto che l'elica si è quasi delaminata.
La fibra (vetro?) si è separata dalla schiuma su buona parte del lato piatto di una lama.
Riparare o nuovo? Se nuovo, quale? Bolly Magnum?

TIA
Saluti
erik
lThe original HTC prop is rubbish !! If you want something great at fair prices NR-propeller or Luga prop great identical props both.

My instructor testflew my gyro today and the prop/engine combo is spot on.
It has great push when starting but runs not more than 5700/5800 at 180 km/h. (at least less than 6000).
4000/4200 when cruising. It is a great running engine.
But according to him, the propeller has some vibrations.

Twistair told me, NR is the new name for the Luga.

Edit : Maybe the builder wrote me himself.

Attachments

• Propeller.jpg
    Propeller.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: