New Prop blades and static test

Rotor-Head

Shawn Adams
Aircraft
Air Command Elite 503 DCDI Sport Rotors - Cesnna 152-172 - R44 - MD500D/E - QuickSilver MXLII Sport
Total Flight Time
220 Fixed Wing - 3000+ gyro 600+ Helicopter
I just replaced my GSC 2 blade wood prop with my 3 blade hub and 3 GSC wood blades.. Put them on and guessed the first pitch setting and hit 5900 max power, static. A small adjustment I got them to 6310 static. I believe 6250 is the number to shoot for but it's pretty close..

Other than a full power decent (which I never do), is 6310 engine RPM (static) okay, or is that slight difference to 6250 RPM something to really shoot for?

Thanks.

Without checking Shawn I believe you have a 503, and don't know what diameter you have, but seem to remember that on the static test the advice I was given was to try for 6300 static which would give around 6500 airborne which was a target to aim for. If it didn't get the 6300 there was a tad too much pitch or bite. What thrust were you getting?

With our 503 B box and 62' three blade Warp I once got 320lbs thrust but a faulty tiny tach started overeading, I started fiddling with pitch and have never managed that thrust again. So many variables inculding the question does one want the take off acceleration with the finer pitch or the cruise performance with the slightly coarser pitch.

I would say you are pretty close, but hopefully someone who knows more will fill us in.

As long as you reach your desired rpm in flight....I had my IVO 4 blade on the 582 pitched to 6200 on the ground, I could easily see 6800 rpm at full power level flight.
Go fly and see how it works. :)

I have about 100 hours in front of a 503. Watch out for full throttle static RPM that peaks around 6200-6250! That's right about the point where a 503 changes from being a sick pig, into a super-power.

6300 should get you well into that GOOD zone without overspeeding in the air. I agree with Scott. Test fly it to know for sure, but don't take off if it's not getting into the power band. You may not be able to climb.

Thanks guys. Yes. I am flying a 503 and my prop is 60". I'll go fly it. Sounds like I may be right on...