New pod idea?

JoelDuval

Has anybody other than I thought of seeing if a Sportcopter Vortex's full pod would work on a dominator?

My issue is.....will it work?
See... I like the Dom the best for its features and stability, but love the idea and the ideas of a full pod with roof.
Any feedback on the subject?

Have you seen the videos of Jim Vanek doing his loops and barrel rolls in a "hot" Sport Copter? out of this world, not for the average "Joe" to do. But, he flys that machine like no one else. As for buying parts from other machines and doing reto fits, it's not recomended. Just leave the design work to the air engineers and enjoy your bird as designed and built.

Has anybody other than I thought of seeing if a Sportcopter Vortex's full pod would work on a dominator?

My issue is.....will it work?
See... I like the Dom the best for its features and stability, but love the idea and the ideas of a full pod with roof.
Any feedback on the subject?

Stay tuned maybe fully enclosed Dominator coming soon.

Talked to you dad yesterday Mike and he said maybe by Bensen Day next year. Sounds like a great idea. Lookin forward to it.

Mike

I fAILED TO MENTION THAT IS IS GOING TO BE A SINGLE PLACE

Last edited:
Talked to you dad yesterday Mike and he said maybe by Bensen Day next year. Sounds like a great idea. Lookin forward to it.

Mike

I fAILED TO MENTION THAT IS IS GOING TO BE A SINGLE PLACE

Mike,
Yes, the first is going to a single. He also has a two place in the works.

It's a good thing!
Now if we only could get those plans for the tandem . . . :)
Heron

Heron,
I've told you and he has told you he will not ever be selling plans for the two place. This is due to the fact that if a customer builds a single from plans and does crappy work then he only kills himself. You sell two place plans to that same person and he kills an innocent because of his crappy work. Ain't gonna happen.

Adding a large pod to a pusher gyro requires very close attention to stability issues. Ernie is well-qualified for that task and will do it right. Many, many others have not done it right and have built machines that are uncontrollable in pitch, yaw or roll in certain flight regimes.

These problems often will surface (if they are going to at all) either when airspeed is high and thorottle setting is low, or in uncoordinated flight. Even the FAA-certified Air & Space 18A has its "issues" in this regard, to say nothing of many homebuilts and kit gyros.

Yes MIke, I know that, pitty that one of the best doubles does not have plans, but still is available RTF from Ernie.
Heron

Now when, and if Ernie puts this pod on the market, will it fit any of the dom single series, or is he thinking of a whole new ship?

Now when, and if Ernie puts this pod on the market, will it fit any of the dom single series, or is he thinking of a whole new ship?

Last time I talked to him he was going to make so it retrofit any Dominator that is built to current factory specs.

Mike, please ask your dad to find someone who knows how to work with Carbon Fiber to make the cabins, or just anyone other than the boat builder who is making them now.... Light weight rules!

Mike, please ask your dad to find someone who knows how to work with Carbon Fiber to make the cabins, or just anyone other than the boat builder who is making them now.... Light weight rules!

Ron,
I may be misinformed, however I am pretty sure it is being done by someone who builds plastic airplanes. This is not being done by a my father or the same person that does his pods. Should be light and fully enclosed.

Hey Ron,
We both know you complained about the $475.00 price you had to pay for the body you bought at Bensen Days. Now imagine that same body in Carbon Fiber. The price would at least double. Light weight rules but, it costs. Now after jabbin ya. He is calling the fabricator to find out the progress right now.

Hand laid Glass and vacuumed cure is the way to do it for the best product. S glass is the best glass. Carbon high price and not needed.

Last edited:
Hand laid Glass and vacuumed cure is the way to do it for the best product. S glass is the best glass. Cobon high price and not needed.

I am pretty sure this will be the method used. The person that is doing this is a professional composite man. I am sure carbon will not be used.

Hey Ron,
We both know you complained about the $475.00 price you had to pay for the body you bought at Bensen Days. Now imagine that same body in Carbon Fiber. The price would at least double. Light weight rules but, it costs. Now after jabbin ya. He is calling the fabricator to find out the progress right now.

I didn't buy one at Bensen Days Mikey..... So there was nothing to complain about.

At this point I don't complain about your dads prices being too high, just that his prices seem to change - always up, never down! - almost daily.

I try to help him sell machines by refering people to buy Ultrawhites, but each time I do I can not be sure of the price. It seems the price goes up 500-1000$ every 6 months.

Anyway, it would be cool if the fairing could be lighter, that is all..... It probably doesn't need to be nearly as thick as they are now.

I didn't buy one at Bensen Days Mikey..... So there was nothing to complain about.

At this point I don't complain about your dads prices being too high, just that his prices seem to change - always up, never down! - almost daily.

I try to help him sell machines by refering people to buy Ultrawhites, but each time I do I can not be sure of the price. It seems the price goes up 500-1000$ every 6 months.

Anyway, it would be cool if the fairing could be lighter, that is all..... It probably doesn't need to be nearly as thick as they are now.

Just yankin your friggin chain. I see from the Mentone pictures you got a t-shirt.

I haven't talked to him since he called the fabricator. I will find out what the progress is, if any.