New pigeon hole for Helicycle enthusiasts

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Mike....da man......granted a new pigeon hole for the Helicycle enthusiasts. This will be nice to have a corner to post in.

I will post my Flying Farmers fly-in story with pictures that occured yesterday. I am away from my camera but will do this in the morning.

Stan

Stan, I'm trying to figure out how the Helicycle main transmission oil circulation and cooling works. Seeing you have access to their forum, would you care to post some pictures of any set-up? Maybe an open transmission, showing how the pump works. I seem to think they have some pump mechanism inside the transmission. I'm thinking of putting on some wormgear type vane on the inside of my transmissions input pinion shaft. Between the carrier bearings is wasted space, that can be used to attach the pump vanes, and have the turning input shaft be the pump. A while back, looking at your pictures, I seem to recall this was my interpretation of how they get to circulate the transmission oil.

So, any chance of posting pictures, I need some practical examples to implement oil circulation, and directing a jet of oil to the upper mast bearing, directly onto the crownwheel, and an ample supply to the pinion bearings.

OK, an external mechanical or electric oil scavenging pump is easier, but it seems like a sin to waste the ability to PTO it internally

Regards,

Francois

Francois- I could post pictures of my oil lines. Basically, a line comes from the bottom of the transmission , and loops around outside to the oil filter. I cut that line and installed a Moroso oil cooler. I also put an oil pressure switch right before the oil goes into the filter. The outlet from the filter has a line going to the top bearing and the input shaft bearing. Stan

B.J.'s Video

B.J.'s Video

B.J. sent me a video of the "Transmission Design Features" which clearly shows how the pump works.
It's been 5 or 6 years since I watched it but it seems like the pump was a 2-meshing gear-pump like on a Lycoming engine.

Hobbycad- Just as Bryan mentioned. I dont have any pictures of the gears, and havent seen any. If I run across some, I will post them.

Stan

That is good news and you are the perfect ambassador for the job!!!

Good one!