Screw

Lubricating & Stimulating
Aircraft
Dominator 2 place/Cessnas & Pipers
Total Flight Time
300+
Re:New KB-2 in the Air

Sorry Phil,

All Wrong. I copied a set-up I saw at ROC to aviod using the "Rod" that's mounted to the wood flintstone brake.

Chris,

Steve sent the shaft back and had it shortened and he modified the attachment point at the head with a slotted plate. That cured the binding. I'm not sure what else he did, but the friction wheel wasn't comming completely away from the drive wheel. He fixed that too.

As far as the steering goes. Look at pic #4. You'll see two peices of angle aluminum extending past the nosewheel. The peices are mounted to the nosewhell from the inside and joined the the end with another piece. Using KB-3 pedals that have a tab welded at the bottom for spring attachment I simply joined the pedals to the end of the nosewheel extension with spring and chain. I made the extension long, about 10 inches thinking I would have to cut them down, but Steve likes it.

John-

Screw

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
300+

Here is a weak attempt to kinda draw out what I did with the nosewheel.

John-

Attachments

• steering.bmp
    60.2 KB · Views: 0

Phil_Ruffin

Gold Member

Sorry John, I just remembered that was the way Steve was driving it around when he was on it. Maybe he was just cuttin' up, you know how he is! ;D

Screw

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
300+

Phil,

I think Steve was using the bar at very slow taxi, but he used the pedals for faster taxi and actual take-off runs.

At slow crawl, there is too much friction on the front wheel for the pedal springs to turn the nose wheel, but the bar is a direct connection. As the gyro is moving forward the nosewheel turns freely with the pedals.

John-

Screw

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
300+

As an added footnote. Not only did I solo yesturday, but the FAA registered my gyro with the requested "N" number N34KB.

As soon as I can make contact with my DAR, I have it inspected for flight worthiness.

John-