New Hornet(s) in the works!

Nicely done. I wish now I would of took machine shop when in High School instead of auto body repair. Wasn't the whole point of Don's plans though, originally, to make an Ultralight that weighed under or right at 254 lbs? I am certain yours weighs over 254lbs so what modifications could be made to improve the original design and still have a craft that weighs under or right at 254lbs?

Nicely done. I wish now I would of took machine shop when in High School instead of auto body repair. Wasn't the whole point of Don's plans though, originally, to make an Ultralight that weighed under or right at 254 lbs? I am certain yours weighs over 254lbs so what modifications could be made to improve the original design and still have a craft that weighs under or right at 254lbs?

Yeah Denis, what does the weight come in at ?

I am not nor ever will be natural builder, but love to see talented craftsmen produce beauty from the materials they work with. They are artists. People like Dennis, Stan and many others have my deep admiration.

My own joy is in flight, becoming one with a machine that allows me to shake off the 'surly bonds' reach up and touch...

In many years of flying, and loving every minute gyros have given me a very special type of pleasure, they are unique.

My guess, in the low 300's for weight

Denis....What's going on ???

Hey Chris...
Thanks for the poke and the interest!

Changes, changes, changes are what's going on...

My Hornet got a heart transplant this winter...Working on the final details now..

I'll do my best to get some updates and pictures posted in the next week or so...

As always, sorry for the lapse.....
I'd rather be machining and productive than typing!

I'll be in touch shortly. Promise!
d

Wow you never cease to impress me Denis!!!!

I wish I had 1% of your skills!!!

Sweet!!!!

Impressive...

Impressive...

Impressive build, impressive workmanship and just a hard charging guy who is friendly enough to let us participate and learn. Thanks a lot, Denis!

If it allowed there would be just one word for both those videos.

WOW!

Kal, is that your video ? I would have liked to see more....like how did you do the holes ?

@Chris and @Denis: Nope, unfortunately it is not my video, although I would even let myself grow a beard if that comes with the skills to do such a seat. The guy subtitled his video "basic beading skills". If that isn't understated.

@Mitchel: The new video of Denis' hornet is awesome. Both the video and the hornet are really nicely done. Actually, the video looks a little bit like a sales video: I believe that Denis has finally signed an agreement with Samsung or Blackwater for a mass production of hornets for the world? If so, I want to be the first customer.

Last edited:
Thank you!

Thank you!

Holy cow guys! Now ya went and done got me blushing again!
Many thanks for the kind words!

which reminds me a lot of Denis' cool butt rest.
Thanks Kai! I'm assuming your post intent means "Denis' cool (butt rest)" and not "Denis' (cool butt) rest" ;)

Well until Denis posts some pics, I have a short video of his gyro. Just a tease of things to come!

Thanks Mitch! Your video skills can make any gyro look awesome! (But then, all gyros ARE awesome!) Well done!
I'll go go over to your documentary post shortly and plug some more of my support for your project! (and it is not just because my machine is getting a few seconds of screen time!)
Mitch's documentary project is going to be awesome. I wish I could encourage everyone here to try to be more supportive in some way.

There are a LOT of people out there that have put together some VERY nice video compilations! ( I try to collect them all) Thanks to you all!

But, I can't think of anything I've seen since I joined the PRA back in 2000 that could have the potential to bring so much positive attention to our sport, and be such a wonderful promotion for the PRA!

@Mitchel: The new video of Denis' hornet is awesome. Both the video and the hornet are really nicely done. Actually, the video looks a little bit like a sales video: I believe that Denis has finally signed an agreement with Samsung or Blackwater for a mass production of hornets for the world? If so, I want to be the first customer.

Kai, Thanks, but don't count on it. WAY too much time involved. I quit keeping track of time long ago.

------

It's "gyro night" here in the shop again tonight. I'll make a point of taking some pictures of many of my updates and getting them posted here shortly.

Denis

How's the flight training coming along?

Last edited:
This was a great build. The craftsman ship is out standing. Are you still making some of the landing gear parts? If so, what would you charge for some of the little bracket parts on the landing gear? I really enjoyed reading about you build and seeing the build come together. SUPER JOB. I'm just starting to buy the aluminum for the mask and keel parts and plates. I have the 13.2 V what is the big different between the 13.2 and the 14 V? Thanks Do you still do small jobs on the side if a person needs a part machined ? THANKS again for a GREAT BUILD. I hope You are flying your machine.

Thanks

Thanks

Doug,
I appreciate the kind words!

Sorry, I haven't been able to visit the forum as often as I would have liked to for quite some time.

I am however gearing up for some more updates very shortly.
My machine has been through many, many changes since I last added anything to my thread.
I will start picking away at those shortly.
My machine is back it the shop for the winter, and I am excited for the mods I will be giving it getting ready for next spring!

It is currently going through a (another) heart transplant. This will be the 3rd engine on this girl! :eek:hwell: Forced landings are almost a non-event for me....Frustrating, but definitely good practice for me!

Doug, I could certainly make some brackets for you...I may even have a couple extras in the cabinet from the first run.
Shoot me a PM and we can talk.

Denis

Hi all,
It's been a while since I posted....I was lurking a few months back and then had a few posts stating my intentions to start build a Bee... Thanks to all who welcomed me and even shared some cad drawings with me! Much appreciated.
Since that time I have joined the Minnesota Rotorcraft Club - PRA Chapter 17. A great bunch of guys who have been supportive and inspiring!
So anyhow, after more consideration, and direction from others in the club, I have begun the construction of a Hornet instead.
If anyone remembers me from my welcome mat posts, I have a small business that specializes in custom machine automation. I am fortunate enough to have a full shop with CNC equipment, so such a build is very natural for me, but oh so much more fun than the daily machine components!!!
I am actually doing the machining for 2 airframes. One for myself and one for a fellow club member. (Maybe he will start his own build thread here too).
I have been making parts a couple/few hours a night for about a month now, and I think it is coming along nicely.
I first modeled everything up in 3D first... It gives me a better feel for how things fit together, lets dimension the parts the way I like to enter the dimensions for machining and also add my own little custom tweaks...
So to get things started, here are a couple pictures of the machine so far...
I will try to keep up with regular posts as the machine comes together!
Thanks
Denis

Pictures:
Machining Seat brace......CNC sure makes things a lot easier!!

Frame 1.............That is a stack of parts for the other Hornet sitting in the background...and before anyone flames me, yes that is an electrical conduit clamp acting as a shackle for the landing gear! (Just for mock-up only...Promise!!)

Shock Assy Complete........I replaced the tube and washer components with a machined component much like is used on the bottom of the shock. I used Black Acetal (delrin) for all of the plastic components...A little more expensive, but I think it looks sexier...and more UV resistant too!

More posts to come...
I asked you about landing gear,before reading all your threads and superb photos, but still have a problem with shock assy, is there something missing from drawing (like a spring)
thanks John Foley (uk)

Hi John - Did you have any joy with the LAA - are they "on board" for a UK Hornet build ?

This was a blast from the past and still fascinating to see Dennis produce such a wonderful gyro from a set of plans and what he had the skill and artistry to produce.

We all have dreams. Some come true, with others life can get in the way.

In answer to Steve’s now very old question, the UK CAA/LAA are not the easiest to work with however they do, and have listened to the gyro community, and while fairly sure a Hornet would be acceptable or be able to pass section T, there is however a good chance than another newer single seat on the market might be accepted and be available after many years of the vintage designs we have had.

Dennis’s build thread is still very inspirational and having been directed to it today am happy to resurrect it for other newer gyro enthusiasts to see what can be done.