New Gyrocopter For Sale Subaru Engine

Chuck Roberg

Gyro's are more fun
Aircraft
SnoBird Tandem Gyro, Robinson R-22, Assorted Fixed Wing
Total Flight Time
If you have pictures of it being built then you can get it certified. But only the actual builder can apply for the Repairman's certificate.

It only has to be shown that some one built it. Don't go doing something illegal to doctor up some documents.

I had an aircraft registered this way, that I did not build, thru the FAA and not thru a DAR. It was no problem with the FAA.

There was a previous post here that discussed all of this before.

gyroplanes

FAA DAR Gyropilot
Aircraft
(2) Air Commands, (1) Barnett, (1) Parsons modified 2 place, (1) Beechcraft Sundowner
Total Flight Time
The FARs state that the aircraft has to have been built for education & recreation and that 51% of the aircraft had to have been non-factory built to be certified in Experimental Amateur-Built (EAB).

There should be no trouble certifiying this aircraft as an EAB. There is also Experimental Exhibition.

You can't take an aircraft apart and put it together again as there is no fabrication and some fabrication is a requirement.

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
RAF 2000 w/Horizontal stabilizer, KB3 w/tall tail
Total Flight Time
40+
Thanks Tom and Chuck, you answered the real question, it can be registered and certified as long as there are build documents, you just can't get the repairmans certificate.

I was not suggesting to blatently do something unlawful. One of the posts said that if it hasn't been registered then it is legally only parts, if you buy a kit it is only parts, I couldn't understand why you can put parts together legally in one aspect but the other is illegal.

Now you have the answer on how to get it legally registered, are you going to bring it to Mentone?

Chuck Roberg

Gyro's are more fun
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
I couldn't understand why you can put parts together legally in one aspect but the other is illegal.
To meet the 51% rule all "kits" require some fabrication from the builder. Such as cutting, drilling, measuring, bending etc. If you purchase a built aircraft that part of the fabrication has already been done for you.

If a "kit" is only parts and you assemble it like an erector set. Then that kit will not meet the FAA's 51% build rule.

cronny1

I wasn't saying that i was going to "doctor some illegal documents". The more research I'm doing, the more I'm seeing that this isn't as hard to register as some might have thought. Thank you to everyone who has helped me through this. I really do appreciate it. It looks like I'm leaning towards bringing it to Mentone. Is the first day the best day to bring it and show it? I don't want to take it and no one not be there. Are any of you interested in purchasing it? My email address is [email protected] if you would like to talk privatly. Thanks again guys.

Chuck Roberg

Gyro's are more fun
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
The two busiest days at Mentone are Friday and Saturday. So either of those two days are your best time to show it.

The best answer you got was from Tom Milton (Gyroplanes). He is a DAR and works sort of like a contractor for the FAA Certifying aircraft. If you do want to get it certified then Tom is the person to talk to about it.

Tom will be at Mentone from Wednesday on.

billygyro

Parsons 2 (AirHog)
Aircraft
Parsons 2 Lycoming 0320 powerd
Total Flight Time
350 F/W -82/Gyro and counting
to build a gyro is a experience in itself, the builder will learn so much and have lots of questions answered along the build process.if you buy and take a gyro plane apart just to put it back together is one thing, but try and answer the questions that is asked from your DAR at the time of inspection! He/she will know right off the bat that you are not the builder. I have a friend that thinks he can do the same just to get pass the paper work, I told him he might get away with it but He will have missed out on knowing really whats involved in building the machine. when you really build the machine you do know every nut and bolt from top to bottom and can answer any question asked of you spot on. try that if you didn't build it.... just my opinion.

Wiplash

Todd Noble
Aircraft
Air Command 582 LowRider w/stab
Total Flight Time
Gyro - 101 as of 7-10-16
As close as you are to Mentone. Why not just take it down there Wednesday, put a For Sale sign on it with contact info. Then come back if it sells or at the end of the week if it doesn't. We're an honest group, it should be safe.

Prolly better clear that with the office first though...

:cheers:

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
40+
when you really build the machine you do know every nut and bolt from top to bottom
If you own and fly a homebuilt, experimental aircraft you should know every bolt and nut on that machine regardless of who built it. I do agree though that to build and fly your own aircraft will give you the feeling of acomplishment that you will never have by buying one already built.

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Dominator gyro, Titan Tornado plane
Total Flight Time
1300+
I'm putting this on here for a friend. You can ask questions through me and I will get them answered for you. This belonged to a man that had 2 of them. He flew one while he put this one together. He passed away before he could enjoy this one. I apologize, but I don't have a lot of info on it. It is in running and flying condition. The top propellers need to be put on. It has been ran and flown once or twice. The Subaru engine looks to be new. There is a small crack on the rear wing that can be fixed.

The gyrocopter is located in Northern Indiana. Please email me with questions. [email protected]

Asking $14,700
Reality check time.....

Although there is possibly someone out there who doesn't know much about gyros that will think 14,700$ is a fair price for this gyro, I don't see this bird selling for any more than about 7500$ tops.

The engine is direct drive, so there isn't much power to be had. And with all the goodies on the airframe and the electric starting on the engine, it will end up being a heavy machine and therefore the power to weight ratio will not be good. Clean subaru direct drive machines are usually hard pressed to bring more than 7500$...

The fact that may have not been test flown yet throws a shadow of doubt over the machine

The fact that it is not registered or holds a airworthiness certificate is not the end of the world, but it does mean the buyer will have some hoops to jump through and some time and aggravation to get it done.

All told, if you want to sell it, you should list it on www.barnstormers.com and take it to Mentone anytime you can, you could drop it of today with some information taped to the seat about what it is and how much you want and how to contact you.... then if it doesn't sell come back next sunday to pick it up.

Good luck, not trying to be rude, just being real

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
I have to agree with GyroRon.

I have to agree with GyroRon.

Sadly a Direct drive is going to be very under powered, I have a good friend that for the longest time flew a bensen with a Direct drive EA-81 and on a hot day would barely get off the ground.

after taking my advice and putting a redrive on his machine it flys 100% better.

now that said Ron brings up some good points, this machine has a lot of extra heavy stuff on it. unless that EA-81 has had a lot of internal mods, it will be lucky to see 100 h.p. out of it.

Also,even if this guy wanted to, there is NO WAY to get an N # assigned before Mentone.

at this point the best way to sell this machine and even break even would be to tally up what the parts are worth and part it out.

the only one to blame that it will not bring top dollar is the builder that failed to get it legal and sadly he is no longer with us to change that fact.

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
40+
I didn't really consider the priceing but there are some valid points here to consider when deciding what you want for this machine. I think the weight vs power issue will depend a lot on the weight of the pilot and a redrive could be installed or other mods to improve performance, this could be a drawback on price.
Also, todays market has a lot of two place machines selling for $15,000 to $20,000 and single place $6,000 to $10,000. The machines that draw higher prices are ones that are registered, have air worthyness certificates, and are proven flyers that would require very little to no modifications to the new owner.
I am sure this will sell, it is a beautiful machine but you do need to consider offers that may be lower than what you feel it is worth.

cronny1

I appreciate the last few comments, but after doing quite a bit of research, I disagree. I think the price is more than fair on this machine. Especially seeing what ones like this HAVE SOLD for. I even talked to someone that bought one like this that wasn't registered and had no problem getting it registered. To say that the reality check is that this is only worth parts is not true. There was obviously a lot of time spent building this and it was done right. Although we are not firm on price, I know that it is worth more than $7,000.

If anyone would like to see it at Mentone, please send me an email and I will let you know when it is there.

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
It is only worth what someone is willing to pay, and not being able to demonstrate with an actual flight will bring the price down considerably, Just like buying a car that cannot be test driven, But, good luck. :)

gyroplanes

FAA DAR Gyropilot
Aircraft
(2) Air Commands, (1) Barnett, (1) Parsons modified 2 place, (1) Beechcraft Sundowner
Total Flight Time
I even talked to someone that bought one like this that wasn't registered and had no problem getting it registered.
Registering and certifying are two completely different thing. You can Register a dream with the FAA. You can register a pile of parts.

You must have a registered and flyable aircraft to even be considered for certification.

It 's a two step process, registering is easy and cheap... but you can't fly it.

Certifying it means earning an Airworthiness Certificate. Many hoops to jump through.