New Gyro

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
I will,
I also put a small amount of anti seize compound on the threads, as per the manual.

Dean_Dolph

Aircraft
None but enough kits in the garage to keep me busy the rest of my life!
Total Flight Time
Zilch!
scottessex said:
.......the parking brake is realy a neat item. It has a brake lever and cylinder from a polaris 4 wheeler, you can squeeze the handle and lock it so the brakes are on when you start it. I think I am really going to enjoy this gyro.
Carl Schneider had a brake lock on his machine for a few years but the last time I saw the machine the brake lock was no longer there. I don't know if problems developed or what. He had it mounted on his overhead control.

The one he used was a simple hydraulic line lock that he got from J.C. Whitney. It is no longer listed in their catalog but for those that have an interest, it was a Jamar Park-Lok Part #73-4432 and was from Jmar Performance Products in Lake Elsinore CA. It was activated by pushing on the brakes and then pushing in on the knob on the Park-Lok and then releasing the brakes. Pushing on the brakes would release the Park-Lok. Pretty simple!

I acquired one for the phantom machine I've built to be the mother of all gyros. Ernie and Dick are too late, this is a stealth gyro, you can't see or hear it! Consequently I can't show you a picture of it or the Park-Lok. I have a picture of Carl's installation somewhere but couldn't find it in a quick search.

Mike Hook

Aircraft
Dominator
Brake locks are a great item but dont bet your life on one. I have installed them on a lot of mining equipment and they doooooooooooooooo bled off after time and when they get some wear they bled off faster. Just use good judgement on how you use them.

If we set brakes locks in the mine the federal inspectors also made use use a steel 2" dia. rod to drop thru the equipment frame between the mine rails. A lot if times the track equipment would eventually just roll of if just the lever lock was set.

Mike

Last edited:

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Sure, understandably so. even chocked aircraft will jump chocks at full power, with brakes on.
I did move the pull start handle to the same side as the throttle, we'll see, it may stay there, or I may move it back.
I miss my old electric start on the old gyro, (that's the only thing I miss about the Arrow engine) It was nice to sit down, strap in, then push the button and fire up.