New Gyro

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Keep your fingers crossed, I am leaving at O-dark thirty in the morning to see one of our forum members. I hope to be bringing back a gyro that is ready to fly. :)
I hate to bail on my project that you all have been following. But, Due to the fact that I cannot afford the time investment right now, I decided to look into getting a machine that is already flying.
As you know, We moved into a hangar/house in May last year, I am still trying to work on the house, the property, and it looks like I will be getting paid to cut the grass this year. Plus other commitments and unfinished projects. I just don't have the time. :mad: :mad:
I hope to be back tomorrow evening, I will try to post on Sat.

I appreciate all the generous offers of parts donations, and the like, It is incredible the amount of comeraderie on this forum.

So wish me luck and hopefully I will be back in the air soon :)

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Vans RV4 / Dominator 582 Ultrawhite
Total Flight Time
ALOT
I know what he is getting..... I know what he is getting...... Naa naa na na naa!!! ;)

Scott I know you will be rushed for time, but the airport your going to is one sweet place!!! They even got a pool table in the FBO for the airport bums. Showers in the bathrooms etc.... here is a shot of the place from my Pacer

Attachments

• New years fly in 2004-2005 018.jpg
    New years fly in 2004-2005 018.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 0

Screw

Lubricating & Stimulating
Aircraft
Dominator 2 place/Cessnas & Pipers
Total Flight Time
300+
Screw-In

I know too.... I know too....

Screw-Out

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
OK, I left at 04:30 friday morning and had a nice uneventfull drive to Jacksonville, Fl. I met up with curran3, we have been working out a deal over the last week or so. Ok so not to bore you with details, I was happy with the deal, Curran was happy, so we loaded up the gyro and I headed home I was home by dinner time. 18:00.
Gyro: A nice used, Soma, I didn't know what a soma was either, but it is a sportcopter look-alike. It has a 65hp Hirth, Warp prop, Curran kept his blades for his next project, I will be using my Dragon Wings.

The gyro is in good shape, Well built, strong, and light, but there are a few changes I am going to make.(minor stuff, like put the prerotator handle on the stick instead of by the throttle like it is now). I will be spending the next few days doing an HMV (heavy maintenance visit)
I am going to go over it with a fine tooth comb, just because that's how I am. I will be checking the engine out, spark plugs, fuel lines, head bolt torque, bla bla,
But I am very happy to have a gyro I can fly shortly, I did trade Curran some of my other parts that I was going to use, But I kept the Suzuki engine pkg, I may try that at a later date. Pics to follow,
Oh yeah, and our good buddy Ron was the one that let me know about it, Thanks Ron! Thanks Curran! And thanks for all the support and
positive encouragement from all the members on the forum.

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Vans RV4 / Dominator 582 Ultrawhite
Total Flight Time
ALOT
So Scott, was it as nice, or not as nice as you expected? Glad I could be of assistance!

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Yes Ron a very nice machine.

I am going to make some small changes, nothing major.
I am one happy camper! :D

Attachments

• mobmain.jpg
    mobmain.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 0
  • soma1.JPG
    soma1.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 0

ben

Gold Member
Aircraft
air-command
scott sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttt good luck with it

ron, you old dog you, ya done good pard lol

Last edited:

Friendly

Platinum Member
Aircraft
KB2 & KB4
Total Flight Time
Looks like it was made with you in mind, Scott, God Bless and keep you safe on it.

Timchick

Tim Chick
Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex, 582 Greyhead
Total Flight Time
~30
Congrats Scott. Looks like a nice machine. Who makes those? Is it a home-made sport copter knock-off or is a company selling kits for those?

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Tim, it is a SOMA, from what I was able to understand, The two guys making sportcopters had some dissagreements, and went thier separate ways, but both continued to make gyros that were very similar. I do not think that Soma is in business any longer. I like that it is built rugged, and has suspension, but still simple.
Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Yes Tim, I hope to do some flying at Macon, to get used to the machine, and I hope to bring it to Bensen Days. I would love to put a nice paint job on it, but right now I just want to fly. I'll do the painting next winter.