New guy

algrajek

Hi everyone:
I’m new to this forum. I have built 4 home built aircraft. Vans RV series. I am interested in building a Gyroplane. Any recommendations on the best kits available?
I am looking at the Silverlight AR1 or the MTO 2017 Sport.
which one is better and why?
Thanks a lot
Al

Hi everyone:
I’m new to this forum. I have built 4 home built aircraft. Vans RV series. I am interested in building a Gyroplane. Any recommendations on the best kits available?
I am looking at the Silverlight AR1 or the MTO 2017 Sport.
which one is better and why?
Thanks a lot
Al
I have done flight instruction in both.

I prefer the AR1 primarily because of its relative absence of power/pitch yaw coupling.

I prefer the nose gear of the AR1 that makes sloppy landings feel like good landings.

I feel the AR1 has better rudder authority.

None of these are make or break issues.

I just find the American Ranger AR1 more alluring.

It would be hard to go wrong with either.

A gyroplane takes off and lands very differently than you RV and you will need good flight instruction to have a happy gyroplane experience.

I recommend you get some dual instruction in both and decide for yourself.

Magni, AR-1 and Sportcopter are great gyros. AR-1 is nice gyro. They are located in Florida and provide all kinds of excellent support. I'd buy AR-1 over MTO Sport for that reason alone. Where are you located? I agree with Vance too. Go get training in both, and that will give you an idea on how they perform. I found AR-1 was better for flying places which is what I like to do. Flying in the pattern or local gets boring really fast, and it pisses off the locals. Get an AR-1 with 914 engine and fly out to Colorado to see the Rockies... The plains are not much to see though...Lots of cows and dry dirt.

Last edited:
Dave, have you noticed that cows never look up? :)

On a random tangent, I recently picked up an amusing trick from another Colorado glider instructor, to help students when they are landing in unfamiliar places, especially off-field where the elevation may be unknown:

If you're low enough to see the legs on livestock (cows, horses, bison, whatever), you're down to pattern altitude.

And if you can count the legs, then you can just divide by four to estimate the number of animals...

WaspAir - Is there a Cavalon for rent at Front Range associated with the Aspen Flying Club? Do you gyro guys at Front Range Have any flyins? I’d like to fly over sometime and check out the gyros there.

Magni, AR-1 and Sportcopter are great gyros. AR-1 is nice gyro. They are located in Florida and provide all kinds of excellent support. I'd buy AR-1 over MTO Sport for that reason alone. Where are you located? I agree with Vance too. Go get training in both, and that will give you an idea on how they perform. I found AR-1 was better for flying places which is what I like to do. Flying in the pattern or local gets boring really fast, and it pisses off the locals. Get an AR-1 with 914 engine and fly out to Colorado to see the Rockies... The plains are not much to see though...Lots of cows and dry dirt.
Thanks a lot. I am in South Florida so AR1 seems like a great choice. It will get hard to get used to the speed, or LACK of!!😬

Thanks a lot. I am in South Florida so AR1 seems like a great choice. It will get hard to get used to the speed, or LACK of!!😬

For me the destination is my excuse to go flying so hurrying in a gyroplane just makes the flight be over sooner.

I feel there are things in life that should be savored.

All the best on your aviation adventure.

Greg Spicola is a wonderful flight instructor and I highly recommend him in the AR1.

I recently had a chance to work with a client of his and was impressed with how thorough Greg had been in particularly challenge circumstances.

I wish you all the best on your gyroplane adventure.

WaspAir - Is there a Cavalon for rent at Front Range associated with the Aspen Flying Club? Do you gyro guys at Front Range Have any flyins? I’d like to fly over sometime and check out the gyros there.
Sorry, but I don't fly out of Front Range Airport and don't know much about what's up there. My locale is shown on the forum as the Colorado Front Range, meaning the eastern slope of the Rockies, but not the particular airport that shares the regional name. My home airport is Kelly Airpark (for the last year), which is a private residential airpark between Denver and Colorado Springs, south of Front Range Airport. It's right on the white line on the Denver sectional chart that marks the south edge of the Denver terminal area chart, and the identifier is CO15 .

Last edited:
Can I fly the Husky in and say hello sometime WaspAir?

Algerajek - the AR-1 cruises at 100mph so that isn't too slow...Dave

I'm sure we can arrange that one of these days.

Between the two, I would probably go with the AR-1. In the newer MTOs I've seen, it looks like a bit of work to access the engine area. I am not sure on the AR1

You might look at Magni as well. I did their factor assist build in Italy. It was a very positive experience, and there is no doubt the aircraft is right when you leave. I hear the AR1 factory assist is a good experience too. You may also want to look at build times. I recall the Magni build was around 10 days. --And the days were very long.

WaspAir - I'm currently renting hanger at 18V Platte Valley north east of Denver. It appears Kelly Airpark is south east of Denver down by Castle Rock. I'm waiting for a hanger at Rocky Mountain Metro so its closer to where I live. I haven't flown anywhere yet since buying my Husky so hopefully this summer can do more exploring. Its very dry out here compared to New England...

I suspect it will be harder to get used to the fun. =)

Coming from an RV it will be quite a different flying experience for certain, but to see the world from 500 ft will be worth it. With your skill set you won't be challenged by any of the kits mentioned here and you will measure the build time in weeks if not days. Both the AR-1 and MTO have a stainless frame which would be a good feature I think for your location. Abid has really put together a great list of features to provide a stable aircraft both in the air and on the ground and that very important transition between the two. Welcome aboard and enjoy this new chapter of your aviation career.