New Engine Technology

JoeMC

Hi Everyone,

I have been to Mentone twice and have been lurking on this site for a few years, but this is my first post. I am excited because I just learned about a new engine technology that might have a huge impact on aviation and transportation in general. I would like to hear what others have to say.

There is a company called "Astron Aerospace" that is developing an engine called the "Omega 1" that is similar to a rotary engine, but is a new design. It weighs only 35 pounds and produces 160 HP. It can run on just about any fuel and will be zero emissions if run on hydrogen. The prototype has already been built and tested. Production is probably a couple years away, but an interview with the inventor said it will probably sell for under $4000.

I thought I was close to purchasing an aircraft (I am leaning toward fixed wing because of training and insurance issues) but this might make me wait a couple more years to see what develops. Strapping this onto a gyro would make for an incredible ride!

astronaerospace.com

Hi Everyone,

I have been to Mentone twice and have been lurking on this site for a few years, but this is my first post. I am excited because I just learned about a new engine technology that might have a huge impact on aviation and transportation in general. I would like to hear what others have to say.

There is a company called "Astron Aerospace" that is developing an engine called the "Omega 1" that is similar to a rotary engine, but is a new design. It weighs only 35 pounds and produces 160 HP. It can run on just about any fuel and will be zero emissions if run on hydrogen. The prototype has already been built and tested. Production is probably a couple years away, but an interview with the inventor said it will probably sell for under $4000.

I thought I was close to purchasing an aircraft (I am leaning toward fixed wing because of training and insurance issues) but this might make me wait a couple more years to see what develops. Strapping this onto a gyro would make for an incredible ride!

astronaerospace.com
We all like good, new "real" engines. I am excited too, but it doesn't exist yet and has tonnes of already discovered problems. Just read the comments below the video clip.
P.S. Just look at the "Liquid Piston Rotary Engine". The Russian inventor (working on this engine for at least 20 years) fixed/avoided a lot of major Wankel engine problems, but you don't see it anywhere, except in some military tries.

Last edited:

I have seen this so-called new "Omega 1" engine elsewhere .
Free-runs at 18000 rpm .... no torque
And it would take a substantial gearbox to turn a prop at 2500 rpm
More dreamland.

We all like good, new "real" engines. I am excited too, but it doesn't exist yet and has tonnes of already discovered problems. Just read the comments below the video clip.
P.S. Just look at the "Liquid Piston Rotary Engine". The Russian inventor (working on this engine for at least 20 years) fixed/avoided a lot of major Wankel engine problems, but you don't see it anywhere, except in some military tries.
Thanks for inserting the videos so others can see what I am talking about without clicking the link. The Youtube comments bring up some valid points. I will keep an eye on things, but don't think delaying flying to wait on this technology would be a good idea.

All these people are after one thing and that’s funding for a project that smart people with money don’t believe in. Huge claims where’s the proof? Anyone can dream up anything in solid works you see it all the time. Shows us a working machine that proves your claims and theories, then make it reliable, and affordable to produce for the masses.