new CLT in on the block

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Well it is a done deal,I am now the proud owner of a 1989 aircommand,EA-81 subaru power with Amax redrive,and skywheel rotors, with a home done CLT conversion and modified front wheel and fork design.
it is flyable,and has it's pemanate C of A . also has a Val 720 aircraft radio in the panel with flight helmet. it has a bunch of hanger rash so it's not the prettiest gyro around,but hey it flys.
Ron flew this gyro at ROC before it had the CLT done.

now all I have to do is go get training.
here are some pics.
when the owner demoed it at the airport,everyone there came out to watch it fly,and then we stood around 30 minute answering questions.

something tells me I better get use to the crowds..lol

Attachments

Last edited:

WHY

Gold Member
Aircraft
Ercoupe and Cessna 150, 152, 172, 140, Aeronca,7ac, Citabria,Chief,Piper PA11,PA12
Total Flight Time
Hi Animal

Amax redrive has been around for a long time and is probably one of the best belt redrive's used on the Subaru, although I do not think it is built anymore, why I don't know

Tony

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
WHY said:
Hi Animal

Amax redrive has been around for a long time and is probably one of the best belt redrive's used on the Subaru, although I do not think it is built anymore, why I don't know

Tony
Cool thats good to know, I knew they where one of the older redrivesbut was not sure how they held up.
this machine has 120 hours on the airframe and 20 on the Subaru engine.

BUD ONEAL

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
600+
Ed Alderfer from Ohio ,somewhere has tons of hours on his aircommand with a amex redrive. He even hand proped it !

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
BUD ONEAL said:
Ed Alderfer from Ohio ,somewhere has tons of hours on his aircommand with a amex redrive. He even hand proped it !
yeah this one has to be hand proped also.but it starts easyily.
can't wait to learn how to fly it.

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Waiex/3300 Jab, Phantom UL, Flightstar II UL
Total Flight Time
ALOT
If Dan did not replace the mast when he did this conversion, you should plan to do it asap. It had way too many holes in it when I last saw it. Otherwise I am glad Dan converted it and glad you ended up with it. Feel free it to bring it to Goose Creek anytime..... matter of fact I will be there all day tomorrow.

dapartlow

Aircraft
Sparrow Hark, Air Command
Total Flight Time
5 hrs. Dual
Animal, congrats it looks good and i know you will enjoy

Brent_Brown

Platinum Member
I am holding a RAF drive on a EA 81 in my hanger. drive has only 2 hours on it motor same after rebuild. Not sure if it is the same one Tim H. is talking about. But start your offers over $2200 and he might sell it to you.

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Waiex/3300 Jab, Phantom UL, Flightstar II UL
Total Flight Time
ALOT
I think he is talking about a RAF engine and drive package Maxie Wildes has for sale.....

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
GyroRon said:
I think he is talking about a RAF engine and drive package Maxie Wildes has for sale.....
yea thats the one Ron,do you have Maxie's Contact info? if so post it for them.

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Congrats Tim, will you bring it to ROC?

Did you sell the helicopter?

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
scottessex said:
Congrats Tim, will you bring it to ROC?

Did you sell the helicopter?
yeah I sold the helicopter about a month ago,I was working a deal to get a 1977 Enstrom helicopter,but since things don't look to good with the economy and also getting so close to winter,I decided saturday to just cancel that deal for now and get the Gyro Dan MCcallister had for sale, this is the one Ron flew at ROC last year when it was still the low rider,Dan had it then listed for sale for $7,500 with trailer,since then he did the CLT mod.and flew it at mentone. I had stayed in contact with him,and well as of yesterday I am now the owner.
I E-mailed Gary Neal this Morning and I will go to s.c. wednesday and start my training,since I have the money for all the lessons I am going to pay block time and stay there several days to train. I figure a tent or motel room is cheaper then driveing to and from greensboro.
I do hope to bring it to ROC.I will Probably come early and leave Early as one of my best freinds is getting married and want me to be there.
so anyway, we will see how much money I have left after my training..lol
you know the bad thing? at the moment I have not even sat in it yet..
I will unload it off the trailer this afternoon and play with it some. maybe start the engine but thats about it. Gary wants me to bring it with me when I come down for the training,So I will wait until then to do much to it. only reason I am going to unload it today is to move the winch on the trailer back,it is to close and you almost hit your hand on the back of the trailer when you crank the handle.
anyway I am excited,this is the first aircraft I have had that was airworthy with a permant C of A .

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Now that Dan has finally sold his machine.....Shar & I were wondering if we will be seeing him at the gyro shows anymore?

Is he planning on building another or what?

Tim, If you could, Tell him Chris & Shar said Hi & take care & that we hope to see him at the next event we can make it to.

Thanks Tim, Chris & Shar

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
CLS447 said:
Now that Dan has finally sold his machine.....Shar & I were wondering if we will be seeing him at the gyro shows anymore?

Is he planning on building another or what?

Tim, If you could, Tell him Chris & Shar said Hi & take care & that we hope to see him at the next event we can make it to.

Thanks Tim, Chris & Shar
He did say he would try and make ROC. Not sure what he is planning but he did mention the barrnett 2 seater. he did say the reason he sold it was he had not flown it much as he did not have anyone to fly with where he lives.

AS for my self I start my training tomorrow. I am going to s.c. and stay untill about saturday or sunday.

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Best of luck with your lessons ,Tim ! Keep us posted.

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
CLS447 said:
Best of luck with your lessons ,Tim ! Keep us posted.
Thanks I will need it... I am leaveing out in about 30 minutes on my way to s.c.
I won't have access to a computer until I get home. But Gary Neal,is My instructior,so maybe he will keep ya'll inform of my progress.
Fly safe Ya'll the adventure begins..:)