New Cheekplates

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
I finally had the cheekplates cut to shape & I polished them. The front view will give you a view of the space between the top of the mast & the new higher location of the rotorhead, 2 & 1/4" higher than before. Now I have the prop clearances that I need for the 70" Ivo Magnum prop.

Attachments

• IM000044.jpg
    IM000044.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IM000045.jpg
    IM000045.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IM000046.jpg
    IM000046.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IM000043.jpg
    IM000043.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IM000047.jpg
    IM000047.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 14
Thank you Robert ! & I hope I do !

How long have you been working on your side-by-side? What size prop was on it before? How much more thrust will the new prop give over the old one? Have you performed a hang test with the new cheek plates? Did it change the hang angle any? When will it be ready to fly?

Wanna buy it ? I'll just keep flying my single place. Are you interested in a 2 place ?

It is an ELSA !

Last edited:
How long have you been working on your side-by-side? What size prop was on it before? How much more thrust will the new prop give over the old one? Have you performed a hang test with the new cheek plates? Did it change the hang angle any? When will it be ready to fly?

Tim, #1 A Long Time ! But not so much in the past years. Wanna help ?
#2 The EA81 engine I first had on it was spinning a 68" Warp Drive prop.
#3 I have no idea how much thrust I will get with the EJ25 engine & the 70" Ivo prop.

#4 I did a hang test after I installed the new engine with redrive & prop. The same cheekplates that were on it worked perfectly. I needed more prop clearance so I made the same cheekplates but 2.25" taller. Now I can reassemble the airframe & controls. I need longer control tubes now. I guess I will just make 2 of the 4 tubes longer.
Then I can get back to the wiring & fuel system & oil & cooling systems & then just fire her up & go ! You know how simple this is & I have all the time & money I could possibly need......yeah right !

Then I will be using the EA81 & redrive with the 68" warp drive to power the KB2 I have on the shelf. I will be making it a drop keel. When I turn 67 I might be able to collect my SS check & will have more time. That is only 17 years away.....if the last 10 years are any indicator....that will only feel like a couple of weeks !

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Next step is to make longer control rod tubes & get back to the wiring & plumbing. I want to call Doug at Air Command to see what he wants for some tubes that are already black anodized.

I also want to ship redrive back to New Zealand to have it upgraged by Neil to new bearing.

I also need to contact Chris Burgess for flight review & endorsment for Class D airspace.

I know that tonight is going to be perfect for a long flight in my single place !

Anyone else ever try Yamaha Ring Free fuel additive ?

Next step is to make longer control rod tubes & get back to the wiring & plumbing. I want to call Doug at Air Command...

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but am interested if Air Command is still available for possible parts? Very much like the tandem cockpit, can see landing lights in the 'scoops. Was a buyer found?

Thanks all,
Chris

Next step is to make longer control rod tubes & get back to the wiring & plumbing. I want to call Doug at Air Command to see what he wants for some tubes that are already black anodized.

I also want to ship redrive back to New Zealand to have it upgraged by Neil to new bearing.

I also need to contact Chris Burgess for flight review & endorsment for Class D airspace.

I know that tonight is going to be perfect for a long flight in my single place !

Anyone else ever try Yamaha Ring Free fuel additive ?

Ain't life just GREAT ?????!!!!!!

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but am interested if Air Command is still available for possible parts? Very much like the tandem cockpit, can see landing lights in the 'scoops. Was a buyer found?

Thanks all,
Chris

I have not yet called AC, have you ?

I have not yet called AC, have you ?

Hi Chris,
yea called a while back and spoke with the owner (forget the name at the moment). As of then no buyer had been found. My take was that he was going to 'keep' the fiberglass part of the business. AFAIK still taking orders for all current parts.

Wish I was in a position to move back to Texas and buy the business; but the other person in my life would hate the weather.

Best,
Chris B.

I will call Doug & tell him he is not allowed to sell the gyro business until I am dead & gone ! I just might have to speak with his father, Red. I think those fiberglass fumes & dust are getting to his head !

If you do buy it , will you offer me a discount ? Ha ha !

"will you offer me a discount ? Ha ha !"
Yep, for quantities (meaning Texa$$) %>)
Similar to AutoGyro.

Hey Tim ...where you been ? About 2 more weeks !

Chris takes his time, but his workmanship is impeccable.

The understatement of the year ! I talked to Larry this morning...he lives in Fla in the winter......***** !

I could use someone with your skills Larry......Thanks P...Y

Here is where I am....

I look close at those pics & I see all the work that I had to do ! Wow man I love it & truly appreciate others who do great things.

I redesigned the seat mounts & the entire nosewheel & pedals......a whole lotta pride sitting there. Wanna go for a ride ? What a trip to be able to ask someone that !

I hope I didn't derail this populr thread !

You want gyro stuff...lets go !!

How do you like my 5/16" LED indicator lamps I added for the Check engine & matching gauge "dummy lights" from the Sub. I put them under each matching gauge to catch my eye before I make a deadstick. I am gonna plug those 2 gauge holes. The a 2" & I had to buy 2 1/4" plugs. Those were for my carb temp & dual egt gauges for that little ol EA81 engine. Now I got a 2;5 !

Those 4 barry mounts got alot of weight on them...Did you see that ?

Do you think it will run alright with this chopped off stock exhaust ? How do you fool a O2 sensor ?

Who wants to help me finish this project ? HELP !
Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

• IM000296.jpg
    IM000296.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IM000292.jpg
    IM000292.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IM000300.jpg
    IM000300.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IM000289.jpg
    IM000289.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 4
  • IM000297.jpg
    IM000297.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IM000299.jpg
    IM000299.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Little bites

Little bites

I got a couple of things done today.....

Got a 1/8" service tee from spruce & got the oil pressure sender & dummy light switch installed.

Instead of ordering a piece of black control tube, I extended the one I had with a short piece of tube. I don't know If I will actually fly with it , but it is pretty strong....what do you think ?

Attachments

• IM000321.jpg
    IM000321.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IM000322.jpg
    IM000322.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IM000319.jpg
    IM000319.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IM000327.jpg
    IM000327.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 5
The other PITA thing I got to get finished is the alternator install. Stan F. was nice enough to sell me this Sparrow Hawk mounting plate & alternator. I wished I knew how GB had intended this setup to work.

I had to hog out some of the plate so the alternator would swing down out of my way.

Why did they have 2 sets of threaded holes for the rod ends to thread into. I thought I was going to use the set closest to the crank but I am going to rethink the whole thing again (OCD).

This is the position the alternator has to be (front & rear) for the pulleys to line up. Obviously I have to install bushings to keep it in place. I got bushing stock from Spruce but before I spend the time to cut & fit them, I want to make sure of the position.

Anyone familiar with the alternator install on the Sparrowhawk with the 2.5 engine ?

I reinstalled the control tubes to make sure they don't hinder the alternator install. I may have to juggle the rods & scissors assembly. I removed the rods because they were in the way of my wiring work. How many more times will I have to do this stuff..............very time consuming.

Attachments

• IM000320.jpg
    IM000320.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IM000325.jpg
    IM000325.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IM000326.jpg
    IM000326.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 3
Chris- I will be nice enough to give you your money back for what I sold you.