New Butterfly Takes Flight Labor Day!

feedpro

Aircraft
Sonex homebuilt, Vortex M912
Total Flight Time
6700+ 96 hours gyro
I really admire your perseverance to keep with it, especially the Kansas gal. This is hard for me to really appreciate since my experience was far different. Then again, I did not have to get a license, only had to learn to fly a gyro, and that only took a week at Scappoose, OR in May of 2012. It only took two months to build the gyro and most of that was waiting for the upgrades. With all this taken care of, I was flying by June 2012 and had the hours flown off by the end of the summer. The wind always blows in this country, so I take off and land into the wind every flight. Have never found a need to land or take off cross wind. I have to do this with my fixed wing, but it is suffering from neglect. May sell it since I only flew it 10 hours last year.
So I really hope that you are able to get her in the air on a regular basis and start enjoying gyro flying.

Doctor Bob

After a pep talk from Jon C. I will hang in there until the fall. I still have my fly it or sell it intentions by the end of 2014. I have to draw a line or I'll blink my eye and it will have sat for a decade. It needs to fly whether I'm sitting in it or its new owner.

Thanks for the support,

Bob

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
How goes it Dr Bob?????

How goes it Dr Bob?????

Got some more time with Steve yet ... ready to transition-train ... OR ????

Glenn_K

I'm Batman
Aircraft
Butterfly "Super" Monarch, Butterfly Aurora, AutoGyro Calidus Piper Warrior, C150, C172
Total Flight Time
250+
Bob,

We have a member here in Chapter 2 that built his beautiful gyro but didn't fly it until 9 years later. Now he's a great pilot and a great flying partner. We have so much fun when we fly together. It doesn't matter how long it takes. If you have the desire to fly, you will when your life is ready for it. Have faith.

Doctor Bob

Thanks for checking in guys :)
I have done nothing (as usual) as it is the heat of the summer and I fix a/c units. Steve, last I knew, had gone to Texas as someone had wrote him a big fat check. He had many more customers that wrote checks to monopolize his time. Then I heard "Black" had an engine come apart. Then it got hot. I was frustrated at the slow going of my training which is 99% my fault. Scheduling, weather, and distance are the other factors. It is just not going well.
My gyro sits on life support in my hangar and I re-oil / fog it once or twice a year.
I have my plane listed for sale as we are out growing it as a family. I had at least three full price offers and the process should be complete by the end of September. I will then seek out a Cessna 182 and a potential partnership with a friend.
I am then contemplating buying a two-seat ultralight or experimental to take up friends and buzz around locally on the cheap as I can no longer do that in a 182 versus my 172. I can get training on that right here in Dalton. If I go that route, the gyro dreams will be for sale. :(
Still in a holding pattern while I sort things out. I told myself I wouldn't "flip" another house until I got my rating or gave up and sold. But then, my neighbors approached me and here I am flipping a huge house in my spare (ha) time. I hope to have it completed by Christmas. The end result is the profit I make (after taxes) could buy a small plane out right with no debt. That is the only reason why I decided to flip again.
A long winded response....
Bob

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
Bob,

I wish you the best with your plans. We hope you are able to keep your Gyro a part of those plans but we understand that it doesn't always work out that way.

This reminds me of something I always tell new people who talk to me about getting into flying Gyroplanes. The best advise I can give a new person is: You need to do a gut check and decide how bad you want this. If you don't want it REALLY BAD, then you aren't likely to succeed at getting into flying Gyros. We are just a very small group and while we are getting new CFIs all the time and it is getting better (at least in some parts of the country) it is still very inconvenient, and expensive to get the training and those that don't already have a burning desire that will propel you through the tough times, aren't likely to make it. Some people cruise through the whole process relatively quickly, but most people don't. For most of us, it is a long uphill battle and takes us way longer than we originally projected it would. It nearly always costs more than we originally projected and there will invariably be some kind of challenge that will come up to test your resolve and try to keep you from accomplishing your goal. Only the most committed typically survive and go on to become Gyro Pilots. But for those that do, you join a small unique group, that get to experience a whole different kind of flying that the rest of the flying world. If you wonder if it's worth it, just talk to someone that has made it. I think it's worth the cost and I hope you will too.

Doug Barker
PRA Pres.

Glenn_K

I'm Batman
Aircraft
Butterfly "Super" Monarch, Butterfly Aurora, AutoGyro Calidus Piper Warrior, C150, C172
Total Flight Time
250+
It's worth it. :whoo:

Can I get a hallelujah!!?

Monarchist

MTO Sport Owner
Aircraft
MTO Sport, R22/R44, Cirrus SR22-G3 Turbo, Bonanza B35-N (dead engine), Aurora Butterfly
Total Flight Time
I flew 3.3 hours today in my MTO Sport today, that's 31.5 hours in 2 weeks. It is definitely worth every minute I waited and worked and sweated and dreamed.

Doctor Bob

I regret that I have crossed this road. As you all know, I have been wrestling with selling my beautiful gyro that I built from the ground up, very meticulously I must add, for the last 4+ years. I have been on the fence and may still be hanging on with one finger.

I have posted her in the "For Sale" section of this forum.
Here: http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42385

I have decided to offer my gyro for sale as I have now acquired a Cessna 182P model. My kids are 14 and 10, and at this point in my life I don't get much time to fly between all the family commitments, kids' activities, and being a one-man HVAC company. The time I do get, I feel is best spent keeping sharp in my plane for the few trips per year I take with the family. To dilute my limited hours over two aircraft, that fly completely different, would be posing a risk to my family’s safety, IMHO.

I will add that flying with Ron and training with Steve was some of the best and most exhilarating flying I have and will ever experience. The wind in your face, hanging out there, and the unrestricted view along with the sensation of floating and riding a flying “motorcycle” cannot be matched by fixed wing.
I am down, but not out in this sport. Once the kids have graduated and moved on, and I have more free time, I will pursue some sort of selfish open cockpit flying. It will also be in the experimental category without all the ridiculous flaming hoops of owning a certified aircraft.

In my ideal world, I would build a two-place, removable door, side by side plane and have this gyro next to it. I would also have more than 2 hours at a time to take off and go flying. Some day. For now, I will relish myself with my wife and kids.

This forum, which is made up of some truly remarkable and generous people, is the sole reason why I have hung on so long. You guys are great. The support has been first rate. I cannot thank you enough. I truly mean that. I am not "done." I someday wish to attend fly-ins and hitch a ride here and there. I have watched my gyro sit for 4 years. She is ready to fly and needs a more capable pilot than myself. One who can devote the time. I have no qualms if no buyers step up to the plate. I will just keep storing her. She is sitting in a carpeted hangar behind my 182. In a few years, about 8, my youngest child will be driving and if he's anything like me (he's exactly like me) I won't see him except for food and occasional laundry and wallet replenishment. I will then have time to start training and flying gyros once again.

I love my kids and wife, and I am just trying devote more family time to them. A single seat gyro is just not conducive at this moment.

Thank you all for your time, posts, moral support, sories, lunches, and friendship. I will be in touch.

Sincerely,

Bob Fischer

Doctor Bob

I have a new owner for my gyro. I will direct him to this forum. Final payments have been made so I took her out of my hangar for the first time in 4 years. After fogging the engine twice a year, I figured she would be a bear to start with all that oil in the cylinders. A had replaced all the fuel lines and flushed out the tank prior to storing so she was ready. I installed a new battery, fresh gas, and on the fourth pull she fired right up to my surprise. I had even stretched my arms planning for a pull-a-thon at the airport. None needed. I ran her for 10-15 minutes monitoring all the gauges and running through the rpm's. Really got the blood flowing and my grey matter stirred. Here is a quick video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxMBR6JxO8c&feature=youtu.be

I inspected really well and found one bolt/spring combo missing from the exhaust flange. A new one is on its way from Aircraft Spruce. Once installed, I will sign off as she is ready. Hopefully the new owner will get to fly and enjoy what I so diligently built.