New Butterfly Takes Flight Labor Day!

GrantR

Aircraft
Kolb MarkIII and a "Jake" Gyroplane
Total Flight Time
About 85 fixed wing 3 gyro
Bob,
Congratulations on your new gyro. Get Iven to fly it over to Wrens. He flew his gyro to Wrens back in 2007!

Doctor Bob

Hey Jon - No problem. I could have easily read into that post too. Iven will tell you, along with anyone else following my marathon flight training that I do not cut corners or try to "cheap out" when it comes to safety. I have a wife and two kids and the LAST thing I want is my wife standing over my dead body declaring "I TOLD YOU SO!"
Grant - That's where I met Iven. I was there with another friend. Great time. Iven and his gyro inspired me along with everyone else's great attitude, helpful insight, and beautiful machines.
Scott - HA HA! I'll only play doctor with my wife :)
Don't know about Wren's yet. May be a last minute thing....

Chuck Roberg

Gyro's are more fun
Aircraft
SnoBird Tandem Gyro, Robinson R-22, Assorted Fixed Wing
Total Flight Time
Hi Doc Bob.

Just some thoughts. In my opinion if your instructor has not said you are ready to solo yet. Then you have no business "practicing" anything in your machine with the rotors turning.

Now I'll admit some people have attempted this and have been successful. But I know of quite a few who were not so successful and paid with their wallet or worse.

The best advice you can get on how to proceed with your training is to ask Steve. Steve only wants you to be safe and will not steer you wrong. Follow his advice.

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Ivan.....still flying the butterfly ?

Where's Doctor Bob ?

Last edited:

Greg Mitchell

Aircraft
Butterfly Monarch 582
Total Flight Time
200 hrs
Ivan sold his Butterfly when he and his wife had a baby a few years back.

Dont know where Dr Bob is.

Mitch

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
They are both still here with us.......lurking in silence. That's why I asked.

Thanks

Doctor Bob

Hey guys and girls! I am still here,lurking, as stated. Happy Father's Day, BTW. Last summer I went through a phase when everything I owned was broken :sad: Honestly, I felt I spent the little free time I had (2 kids, wife, and sole employee of my business) just trying to maintain what I owned and not actually enjoying the toys I worked so hard for. I had two classic cars in pieces, my gyro sitting idle, my kid's dune buggy and my dune buggy broken. Quite frankly, I had it. I sold off everything but my gyro and boat. I think I hear a "phew" somewhere! I sat on the cash for a while and contemplated.
As the economy kept tumbling I re-evaluated my business. I had worked about as much as possible and started saying "no" to some of the phone calls. I lost a few key accounts. I had been missing time with my family. While my income definitely went down, I have now been there for my kids (8 and 11) after school, every dinner and every weekend. I decided to look into a family plane to keep current with my hard earned PPL. Renting was just not for me and plane values dropped to about rock bottom. I bought a Cessna 172:)
I have been spending time with another forum (gasp) :blabla:
It is here http://www.cessna172club.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=82448&page=1
I have really wrestled with keeping my gyro. It is pickled and stored in my garage. I must get asked at least once a week what I'm doing with it. Logistics of training is my main obstacle. If only Steve McGowan lived in Dalton. The other problem that weighs heavily on my mind and heart is the recent passing of two members here on the forum. While I'm very optimistic about life in general and living your life to it's fullest, their passings have affected me.
Fortunately, I don't need the money (right now) so I can afford to just hang on to my gyro until I decide what to do. However, in my mind I can't justify owning two aircraft. I feel it is excessive. The only way I could mentally satisfy this aviation addiction and own both is if I pick up a partner on my plane.
Sorry for the long rambling, I guess I just needed to finally put down on paper my current position. I still love gyros and even dreamed the other night I was flying mine...I told you it was a sickness!
Take care everybody and I'll definitely stay on here until I fall off the fence.
Cheers,
Bob F.

Monarchist

MTO Sport Owner
Aircraft
MTO Sport, R22/R44, Cirrus SR22-G3 Turbo, Bonanza B35-N (dead engine), Aurora Butterfly
Total Flight Time
Bob, I have had similar feelings in the past, but realized that there is no mysterious demon hiding out there waiting to kill you in your gyro. There are always reasons, even if we never know them. Gyroplane physics are well-established and time-tested. So why do people die in them? The same reason pilots -- even really good ones -- die in other aircraft: they get over-confident, they don't do their maintenance, they don't maintain proficiency, they get distracted, they do 1,000 other things that causes their lives to be cut short.

So I choose to fly and not live in fear, but to do so as safely as I possibly can.

I hope you keep, fly, and ENJOY your gyro. I did my primary training in a 172, and it was fun, but nothing compared to rotary flight. :)

-John

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
Dr. Bob,

So that is what happened... you went over to the dark side... (just kidding you). I have a very good friend who is a Gyro Pilot that just bought a Cessna 172 and is being pulled in two different directions. I know it is hard to feel like you are being pulled in tow different directions, but I don't feel like a 172 and a Gyro really need to feel like competitors. They are honestly so very different and having both of them really is an ideal situation because you have the best of both worlds now. For going somewhere, you can't beat the fixed wing and for simply going up into the air to have fun, yhou can't beat the Gyro. They both have their place and reason for being and they really are two very different purposes. If you feel you need to find a partner for the Cessna to be able to afford to actively pursue both then by all means start looking. Those kind of realationships develope all the time and you may be the answer to some other guys prayers, you just need to find him.

You couldn't possibly have a more stable and easy to fly Gyro than you currently own. You just need to bite the bullet and get your training, regardless of how inconvenient it may be. Once you start flying the Gyroplane and see how incredible they are to fly, it will take care of the whole balance thing in your life. JUst don't give up on this dream before you get all the way there. You are so close! You should plan on attending at least a day of two of Mentone this August. WIth your 172 you can easily make the tripo and while you are there and learning all you will learn, the rest of your challenges will sort themselves out. I hope you will come as I would really like to meet you. Please do what you have to do to get there. I assure you that you will be glad you did.

Doug Barker

Doctor Bob

Time to get off the fence, or fall off!

Time to get off the fence, or fall off!

Hello everyone! It has been just over two years since I witnessed my collection of parts come together and fly in the skillful hands of Iven. What a great and unforgettable day. After coming off a strong hot summer in the a/c business (read very busy) I have slowed down for a bit to get off the fence. I have decided to start my training with Mr. Steve Mc Gowan next week :)!!!!

I either need to get trained and fly, or sell. I have no excuses-
1. I had started a separate bank account for training since I started building and I have been sitting on the money since.
2. I now own a 172 to fly down to Steve, train, and fly back all in time for dinner so I don't miss my kids and wife.
3. The weather is mild, so if you don't need heat, don't need air, you don't need me :)
4. This November, I get my own private hangar at the airport! I should be able to stuff my gyro behind my plane when the time comes, and gasp, actually keep it at an airport :eek:

So, I have plans for this upcoming Wednesday (a day I don't have to shuffle my kids and others after school) to start with Steve. Hope for blue skies and calm winds.

I will keep you along with my journey and I appreciate your continued support.

Thank you,

Bob

Doctor Bob

I finally started!

I finally started!

This Wednesday I started my first round of "official" CFI guided rotorcraft training with Steve McGowan in Macon, Georgia. As most of you know, he is a stand up guy and works really hard at promoting the sport and teaching correctly. He had another student, Robert, there and we took turns flying. We rested, but poor Steve didn't! It was the Bob and Rob show that day.

My main obstacle, logistics, was conquered by my Cessna (no fixed wing haters please!) -- about a 1 hour and 10 minute flight each way. My 172 allowed me to take my daughter to school, fly down, train, and fly back with time to spare to pick my son up from Tae Kwon Do and be home for dinner. Definitely not possible in a car with Atlanta traffic.

Here is the best part of my flight: On the way down I had to pass through Atlanta's restricted airspace. I come from the school of, "it never hurts to ask," so, I got Atlanta approach on the radio and told them I need to pass through. Not only did I get permission, but they sent me right over the airport! I kinda figured they would do that since that would be the safest place to pass by as any planes taking off or coming in would NOT be at 5,500' directly over the runways. I didn't bring our good camera, but simply grabbed my $20 phone. I shot a few pics and I thought I would pass one along.

There's a LOT of cement down there. Seeing all the big jets (which looked like toys from 5,500') pass under me was pretty dang cool. On the way home from Macon I simply flew east of their airspace as I didn't want to get vectored all over the place again. However, I will ask again in the future. I
should have thanked them for the ride...next time.

My gyro training was fun, but that big black two-seat gyro is a beast. I get the feeling that I'm learning to drive a school bus when my final ride will be a Miata. I did the best I could in the limited amount of time I had. I started getting a headache at the end. Stress, helmet, sun, ???? I will tell you when I made it back to Dalton my head was screaming. Four Ibuprofin later, a drink, and laying down in bed and I was better. I usually don't get headaches, take any medecine, or even drink, but I did it ALL when I came home :)

I think it went well, and I hope to do it again next week. I'll keep the forum posted.

Thanks for allowing me to share,

Bob

Doctor Bob

Congrats. You coming to Bensen Days this year?

Hey Tim - That could be a possibility. If I did, it probably would be in a Cessna though.... Way to far to fly even if I HAD a gyro rating :) I know towing a gyro that distance can be really hard on it and I'm into preserving and enjoying my toys rather than stressing them. April is usually a busy month for me as everyone is flipping on their a/c for the first time and learning they don't work. I'm like a farmer...the majority of my income is made in the summer and if I miss the opportunity I will pay for it the rest of the year. If I don't come out, someobody else will and that may be the last time I see that customer :(

My Cessna could easily do the trip in the morning, stay the night, and then fly back next day....

Bob

jebthereb

AWS CWI
Aircraft
trained in mto sport. Trained in r22
Total Flight Time
9 hrs MTO Sport 13.5 hrs r22
hey bob congrats on the training. I felt the same way after my first two one hour sessions. When i got home i virtually collapsed on the couch.

Doctor Bob

Thanks to the miracle of flight, I once again went down for my second round of rotorcraft flight training in Macon and made it back well before dinner.

I completed another hour of training in "Black" and it went a lot smoother than the first hour. I'm starting to learn the characteristics of his machine. We even left the pattern for a while, flew around, and returned. Learning what to do in windy conditions and to keep slight back-pressure while reducing power when caught in an updraft. Repitition is key.

I was looking forward to a second hour of training but the coming hurricane started sending the clouds in rapidly after lunch and I had to cut my training short as I worried about getting stuck in Macon with only a VFR ticket. The ceiling was 4,200' and my sectional indicated along my route of a minimum 4,600' to clear some of the mountains. The tops looked doable and a call into Flight Watch confirmed the tops at about 6,000. Time to LEAVE, and LEAVE now.

I took off and found an open section of clouds and started to climb, climb, and climb some more. 4,000, then 5,000, then 6,000, hmmmm 7,000, dang 8,000, phew 8,500' to safely clear all the clouds and maintain proper VFR altitude Vs. direction of travel. I called Macon radio and ammended my flight plan. I also called in flight watch to report the clouds.

It looked like this:

I was going to descend into Dalton when two planes were in the pattern. One practicing GPS approaches, and a King Air departing, climbing at 4,200' and heading my direction :eek:
I was reporting my position every few minutes to Dalton Traffic and decided to stay up high. My biggest fear was a King Air coming through the clouds into me. I finally directed my call directly at the King Air and stated exactly where I was and he was headed in my direction and to state his position, altitude and intentions. I probably was a little, err, direct, but I needed to know. He replied that he had me on his traffic system, called out my altitude, and annouced when he was behind me and no longer a factor. Is that short for "pucker-factor?"
With the King Air out-of-the-way, I found a good long break in the clouds and descended 6,700 to pattern altitude and proceeded to knock off one of my best landings yet. Hurah!

What a day! Flew rotorcraft and fixed wing, set a new low (in the gyro) and high altitude record, greased my landing, and made it home before anybody missed me.

Thanks for allowing me to share,

Bob

Monarchist

MTO Sport Owner
Aircraft
MTO Sport, R22/R44, Cirrus SR22-G3 Turbo, Bonanza B35-N (dead engine), Aurora Butterfly
Total Flight Time
Doctor Bob, I'm glad you're enjoying aviation again. :) I love reading your posts, keep 'em coming!

-John

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
That is simply beautiful flying above the clouds like that. I dream of doing that some day in my Gyro (just because it looks so dang cool)

Terry_Smith

Gyroplane Fan
Aircraft
Building a Sportcopter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
3 - Some training and glider time
Well, it's not a Gyro, but flying above the clouds is, to put it simply, Heavenly... I really hope to get a gyro going and get above clouds on my own...

Attachments

• TrikeFlight.jpg
    TrikeFlight.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 0

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
It's a great place to be in whatever will get you off 'terra firma ' even if a bunch of groundhogs do say " the firmer it is, the less the terror."