New build, Aviomania G1sB Genesis

When are you going to fly it?
Plan to move up to Eric's place in Kingsland in the next week or so. Going to do hang test and once Eric has gone over the build he will test fly it. Then I will begin transition training. I have a replacement ALT/ASI gauge on the way back from warranty repair that I want to install and plan to finish setting idle and balancing carbs later today or tomorrow.

Sv.grainne ... I don't think I have posted on this thread so far , but have followed it from the beginning.
Thank you for a fast paced build with great descriptions and pictures

You have had setbacks and delays that were out of your control yet are ready to fly in only 4-5 months.
We all look forward to your flying adventures and fun.
Thanks again.

Sv.grainne ... I don't think I have posted on this thread so far , but have followed it from the beginning.
Thank you for a fast paced build with great descriptions and pictures

You have had setbacks and delays that were out of your control yet are ready to fly in only 4-5 months.
We all look forward to your flying adventures and fun.
Thanks again.

Martin:

Thanks for your comment. I got my kit late Sept 2021 and got AWC on 17 Dec, so looking at 3 months for the build and then have been working a few small issues but ready to test fly and start transition training. Hopefully next week, if we can get a few warm days, will move up to Eric's place in Kingsland, TX. Replacing ASI/ALT (warranty repair) tomorrow and making two throttle cable adjusters to replace those that came with the 912. Will post a few photos later

Last edited:
You certainly didn't hang around Bobby.

Congratulations on your swift completion, and may you have great joy with your build.

Thanks Leigh. Speaking of hanging around, hang test next when we get a warm spell. Installed my new throttle adjusters today and got the ALT/ASI back in. Will put the rotor head back up and install and adjust stick lock tomorrow.

I didn't like the way that the Rotax throttle adjuster fit the throttle cables. Made balancing the carbs and adjusting the idle sloppy. You can see the sloppy fit of the cable into the adjuster so I machined new adjusters.

Adjuster old&new.jpg

Here is a photo of the new adjusters and a threaded plate that I will mount on the adjuster bracket.

throttle adjusters.jpg

Last edited:
Just to make sure I have this right Bobby , in the first picture the new ones you have made are on the left and still have to be threaded?

And this makes balancing the carbs easier/more precise?

If so, would be interested, how much?

Had great news from Denis, a DAR in Minnasota. Just need to find if he is able to nominate airfields outside his geographical area.

Correct:. Machined the basic part but had to wait for 6mm x .75 die so I could thread it. Then realized I needed a threaded plate to mount to the Bing bracket. Had to wait for the tap and the 1/4" aluminum plate. If I was going to do this again would do the brass rod but go 1/4" longer, would go with a thinner plate 3/16 ss instead of 1/4" aluminum. More room for adjustment.

I did this because I needed to back down idle rpm (my Aviomania is so light normal idle rpm keeps it moving to fast). I got the Carbmate to use to balance but found the std cable/carb connection so loosey/goosey that I could get balance but had to fight to get rpm where I wanted it. Touch a cable, everything changed.

I wanted to be able to adjust the cable position without cable flex and having to hold two locknuts!

More to follow as I plan to set idle and rebalance as soon as we get a slight warmup! I'm bitching about hi daily temps in the 50's.... Go figure
Good deal on DAR, mine travels all over and is good with Gyros. Plus he knows the AWC portal.....

Bobby

This is interesting, because I have never had any issues balancing and adjusting with the Rotax setup...
What idle rpm do you consider "normal" and what lower rpm are you shooting for?

'm going for 1500rpm.
Quite low.

If your achieving that with your mod would you be able to do some more?

I believe the 912 ULS idles a bit higher than that but precision adjustment will always be desirable.

Still checking to see if this new DAR can work outside his geographical area.

I've done a few 912 installations, and while the fitting seems too large for the cable housing, I've never had that be a problem.

The DAR who will be doing my Onex (912UL) in a couple weeks is out of my area. He's with the Atlanta FSDO and my "local" FSDO is Nashville. Everything is submitted and he doesn't expect any issues being allowed to do the inspection.

Rusty

Sure
If your achieving that with your mod would you be able to do some more?

I believe the 912 ULS idles a bit higher than that but precision adjustment will always be desirable.

Still checking to see if this new DAR can work outside his geographical area.

Thanks Bobby. Let me know how much + postage to Denis.

What do you have for throttle cables, mind sharing a photo?
I haven't flown since 26 Dec as it's been entirely too cold, but I'm going to the hangar today just to check on things (it continues well below freezing here). I'll take some pics.
I will say your mod does look very solid!

OK, here you go:

Attachments

• throttle connection.jpg
    throttle connection.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
The cable/adjuster looks more substantial than what I had. Cable looks different and seems rigid at the adjusted. The cables on my Genesis are bicycle brake cable and sleeves.

Thanks for posting that Tyger,

Bobby, better let me get an eyes on check of my setup first.