New Blood

Alan Coats

Gold Member
Aircraft
GyroBee
Total Flight Time
Hello, Guys.

I have recently been bitten by the gyro bug. While looking for information I became aware of the PRA. I looked up the home page, found some contacts in my part of the country, and sent them e-mails. Two weeks later I have not received any replies. GyroRon suggested that I post a message on this forum to see if I can get a response.

I live in northern Oklahoma. I am right between Tulsa, Oklahoma City, and Wichita, KS. If any of you live in that area and would be interested in helping me get started, please e-mail me.

Thanks,
Alan

Hi Alan,

I live in OK City. I'm close to test-flying my gyro. We have another one here in town that is currently test flying, and there are rumored to be a few more interested souls around here.

We're trying to get some interest up to have occasional get togethers. Send me an email. :cool:

New Blood

Chuter,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am interested in building/buying a GyroBee. We have two brothers here in Ponca who have designed a helicopter with counter-rotating blades. They have built and successfully flown an r/c version of it, and are now building a pair of full-size versions.

Alan

Alan, Mary Jane is right, start a new chapter! It only takes 5 PRA members in order to petition the PRA for a charter.

new chapter

new chapter

Mike,

Sounds like a good idea. We've got enough folks here in the OKC area and I think enough interest.

By the way Alan, if you come to OKC, give me a call. There are 2 RAF's @ Guthrie.

Thanks, guys. I am excited to find that there are other rotor-heads in the area. Maybe we CAN get a PRA chapter together. This forum has been a fantastic source of info already, and I'm sure I'll get plenty more info from it, but talking face-to face, and seeing your machines in person would be great.

Alan

Oh yeah, Alan, I forgot to mention in my email to you that RAF has a facility in Seminole OK.

Curious

Curious

Tom, I just notice you have PRA Chapter Co-Ordinator on your signature.
I am interested in what this positions function is. I am not trying to be smart and yeah I could look it up myself. But I want to know how you see your Position and what you feel it means.

Will you make it over to ROC?

MJ :)

The Ponca City Aviation Booster's fly-in breakfast is held the first Saturday of every month. They serve a great breakfast for $5, and there are usually some very interesting planes there. Last time there was a WACO biplane that had been scratch-built from a set of factory plans. Please let me know if any of you are going to be there, and I will meet you there.

Alan

Alan

Welcome aboard Alan, Making contact with people in your area is the best way to exchange ideas, training, building gyros , & having fun with others with the same interest. I hope that you can get a Chapter togehter in your area. We need NEW BLOOD in our sport !

Good Luck & keep us all posted on your contacts & gyro interest ;)

There used to be a chapter here in Oklahoma but it died out. It was based in Bartlesville I think. It faded away before I moved back here (McAlester area) from Albuquerque. I would certainly entertain a chapter here in Okieland.

Anyone interested in starting up and participating in an OK chapter, send me an email and we'll see what we can get started.

You might want to check out the Chapter requirements page on the PRA website. We need a minimum of 5 PRA members, 3 of them would be officers. We would also need a safety committee.

Also need to have 6 chapter meetings a year, and it also says;
"Each Chapter should offer the following:

A meeting place in which to meet and participate in club projects - education and social evenings - showing of movies, slides, etc.
An adequate flying field devoted to rotary wing aircraft - suitable for glider and copter flights - preferably government approved.
Chapters should write and send to Headquarters at least one article a year for publication in Rotorcraft Magazine."

I'm not sure what is meant by "An adequate flying field devoted to rotary wing aircraft - suitable for glider and copter flights - preferably government approved." An airfield devoted to rotary wing aircraft?

Maybe Tom Milton can explain a little. It sounds pretty restrictive but I'm guessing it means just a decent airport? :confused:

I guess what I'm getting at is that this would require some commitment, not just "sure, I'll sign up". And maybe things are a little more slack than I'm reading into it.

Hey,
I'm all for a chapter here in Okieland. I'll donate the use of my hangar @GOK. I think that Guthrie will fit all of the PRA requirements!!!