200+
Uh OK I'll bite......Who?! :)

Congrats Ray, long time coming.

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
Ray,

Congratulations !!!! How long has it taken you to get to this point?

Gyro Doug

RayPierce

Gold Member
Aircraft
GyroBee
Total Flight Time
More than 20 less than a million.
Ray,

Congratulations !!!! How long has it taken you to get to this point?

Gyro Doug
I'm embarrassed to say almost 8 years. Things kept getting in the way.
Two kids in college at the same time.
Plus I didn't trust my workmanship.

Credit Dana Linn with encouraging me to "get with it" and all his technical help.

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
Ray,

Don't be embarrassed !!!! I would look at it as a good example of "if the dream is big enough, the facts don't count" & "nothing is going to stand in my way". The fact that you didn't let any of those things stop you from attaining your goal, should make the victory just that much sweeter. I say, "WAY TO GO"!!!!!!

Gyro Doug

Paul_in_Ohio

Ray,
Don't you dare be embarrassed. Most people would have given up after a couple of years. You showed determination and comitment. Be proud that you finished what you started. (Just don't take 8 years to finish your training...):Cry:

Paul

RayPierce

Gold Member
Aircraft
GyroBee
Total Flight Time
Ray,
Don't you dare be embarrassed. (Just don't take 8 years to finish your training...):Cry:

Paul
I've gotten the training. I need some refreshing though.
Rusty Nance was my instructor. I got some from Steve McGowan too. I was signed off to solo by Rusty.
That was a few moons ago though.

I will need to brush up with Steve McGowan when he gets back from Mentone. I believe I'm too heavy for Rusty's ship.
I'm waiting on Rusty or Steve to get back to take the ship for it's maiden voyage.
Rusty insisted I do that to make sure it's in trim before I go wheels up off the runway.

I've been taxiing it up and down the taxi ways, balancing on the mains, etc.
I'm going to wait on the crow hops until Rusty or Steve gives me the all clear.

RayPierce

Gold Member
Aircraft
GyroBee
Total Flight Time
Ray,

What did it weight when finished, and congratulations.
Mark
272 pounds as it is now. I was surprised how far back we had to move the rotor head to get the hang test right.
I thought with my big butt in the seat the cheek plates would have extended halfway to the nose gear.

24.5 foot Rotordyne blades.
It has a SCSI 503 Rotax with Tennessee prop.
A beefed up engine mount.
A StarBee Tail.
And the StarBee main gear.

Joe Pires

star hoarder
Aircraft
Aviomania GS2.
Total Flight Time
450 ish solo gyro and 80 ish two place
Some how i missed your post. BEElated Congratulations!!!

Pelt

Aircraft
Mad Max II
Total Flight Time
Way to go Ray! Be sure to get pictures when you crow hop and solo.

Randy
N26VT

RICK MARTIN

Gold Member
Aircraft
Everglades Kite Gyro, Tandem Dominator
Total Flight Time
900 hours
Great job Ray.

Another lesson in perseverance!

And it sure sounds like you have your head on straight about finishing your training vs getting off the ground.

Dirtydog

Best seat in the house!
Aircraft
Dogbee / Gyrobee
Total Flight Time
18 duel/ 55 hrs in the Dogbee
RayPierce: I am coming up behind you. I hope to get mine done soon also!

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Ray congratulations on finishing your project. Good luck with the training and flying your machine. You have been both patient and persistent, best wishes for success.

Just interested in some figures with this gyro. Hopefully someone can set me straight.

Guess-estimating that with your 24.5 Rotordynes, a gyro weight of 272 lbs(presumably with Rotors on?), pilot weight 250lbs, five galls at 30lbs =562lbs and a density alt of 1500', if I am anywhere near correct, that would give a rotor rpm of 256 and disc loading of 1.5. Assuming I have got the performance figures right(probably not), would that not be a slightly low disc loading and slow rrpm? Possibly not for the heavier rotor ???

If pilot weight was say 300lbs and a 1000'density alt, rrpm would increase to 327, and disc loading to 1.3, again assuming I am using the performance chart correctly, both seem to look much better.

How critical are these rotor rpm and disc loading margins for these small light gyros?

Planning on a higher weight, with double the fuel we have been advised to go with 23' rotors. Admittedly though with the lighter DW's. I suppose the margins will vary with the rotor type used but are there any general guidelines/ rules of thumb for the newbie regarding good/safe/optimum rrpm and disc loading figures?

Approaching hanging/testing, these questions are becoming more important so still looking at the various opinions and advice out there.

Last edited:

RayPierce

Gold Member
Aircraft
GyroBee
Total Flight Time
Disc loading

Disc loading

Resasi

You need to ask Doug Riley that question. I bought those blades through Doug Riley many moons ago.
I do not have a rotor tach so I have no idea what the rrpm is. I do not have a clue as to how to do all that math.

Sorry.

The blades are Rotordynes.(70 pounds!)....
I don't remember who made them since there have been two or more owners of the company....again you would have to ask Doug that too.
They don't perform as well as Dragon Wings. At the time it was not recommended by Dr. Taggart to use anything other Rotordynes.
PLUS! I have to hand start them. Trying to save weight so it will get my fat butt off the ground.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Thanks for coming back with that. I believe that Garry Layzell is now manufacturing those blades over here in the UK. Yes I have had input from Doug Riley who has kindly given me input on blades, masts, and rotor shake.

The math for disc loading and rotor rpm along with other performance results has thankfully all been worked out and can be found on C Beaty's rotor performance spreadsheet which is very useful.

Was just wondering if you had by chance got manufacturers recommendations with those length blades, or had been aiming for some specific figures that was all.

They certainly are quite heavy so are you adding that to the figure you gave for the gyro weight which was without rotors for the hang test, or did the figure you give include the rotors?