ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Cessna 210 +, Xenon RST, Citabria
Total Flight Time
2000+
image-J_RO_01.jpg

image-J_RO_15.jpg

Since 1990, the well-known French ultralight manufacturer DTA (Delta Trikes Aviation) has manufactured trikes and trike wings. With that in mind, Blois attendees were surprised to see a world premiere of the company’s newest product, a gyroplane called the J-RO “Cabriolet.” The autogyro features tandem seating and may be powered by a Rotax 912S or a 914 turbo engine, and will be delivered in two versions, called Premium and Optimum, weighing 556 and 600 pounds respectively (264/273 kilograms). The basic Premium is the door-less version, while the better-equipped Optimum will be delivered only fully enclosed.

The J-RO was developed over three years of intensive work, in which three prototypes were built and 3,000 hours of labor were invested. The J-RO Premium with the Rotax 912S lists at €59,900 and with the Rotax 914 at €68,300. According to a company spokesman, the J-RO will probably be shown in Oshkosh in two years.

Made by the French company DTA,

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dta.fr%2FJRo%2FindexJro.html

Last edited:
At first glance it looks a lot like the Orion.

How about that ! The ugly duckling of years past has finally turned into a swan of the present----- "THE AUTOGYRO HAS ARRIVED"

Tony

With many debut appearances of new rotorcraft being static displays, at least it does fly ...

WOW. There should be a great view from this inside this gyro!

Yet another to throw into the mix, good for consumers! Are there any pic's for the more basic version?

SWEET! Nice p-tip prop; could be a Prince Composite???

Although more restrictive in LSA equivalent flight regs, it seems the companies 'over-the-pond' are kicking our (US) collective butts in new design ideas. Remains to be seen if they will want to enter the US market with a vengeance. Bring the cost down, and they will come. Come-on FAA, get with the program!

Chris

The prop looks like the French DUC prop "windspoon". Same as on the Xenon.

Come-on FAA, get with the program!
Like that is going to happen!

SWEET! Nice p-tip prop; could be a Prince Composite???

Although more restrictive in LSA equivalent flight regs, it seems the companies 'over-the-pond' are kicking our (US) collective butts in new design ideas. Remains to be seen if they will want to enter the US market with a vengeance. Bring the cost down, and they will come. Come-on FAA, get with the program!

Chris

While I enjoy your enthusiasm, I have to disagree on your assertion that ideas are better "over the pond". They just copy each other....mostly. Take a good look at them. They have the same designs with very few exceptions.

Larry Neil has better ideas in his pinkey finger. Take a look at his suspension. Take a look at the Super Sky Cycle, it even has folding rotors!. Very innovative stuff.

The problem is, as you said, with the FAA. If the US was unrestricted and could produce LSA machines, you would see that the US already has the better design platforms.

Our collective hands are tied.

Chauvinist fantasies.

Chauvinist fantasies.

Bensens with $30,000 engines.

Plastic Ferrari on VW Beetle chassis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit_car

You chauvinist fantasies are entertaining Chuck and for the kind of flying you like are probably valid.

Some prefer a broader mission than flying the pattern.

Helicopters could be described in the same way. They have the same mechanical fundamentals but they fly faster further in more comfort, require less maintenance per hour flown and are safer.

I have flown the Calidus and the Magni and flown in the Xenon and I find them to be very nice aircraft that seem more finished than a Dominator, Air Command or Sport Copter.

The Sport Copter II is probably better finished that any of them but I have not yet flown it.

The Dominators I have flown were a lot of fun but did not feel as refined as some of the European offerings.

In my opinion a Bensen was an aircraft with a very short fuse and a very narrow mission.

Some of the European gyroplanes have demonstrated they can fly faster further in more comfort, require less maintenance per hour flown and are safer than anything Bensen built.

The developments are market driven and in part in Europe that market is rules driven. The gyroplanes seem to have found a niche in the European ultralight rules.

It is unfortunate that the efforts to gain LSA approval have proved fruitless.

Perhaps with some new people working on it we will see LSA gyroplanes and a market will develop in the USA that will give local businessmen the resources and incentive to advance the art.

Thank you, Vance

Hi

Has the Sport Copter II had any success in export markets ? A quick look on the FAA website appears to show three examples registered.

The machines built by Magni, AutoGyro, Celier, ELA can be found across the globe - why.

Steve

I would second that Vance...and with at least a variety of choice of innovative new machines that seem to perform reasonably well.

So...let's have a good look at the chassis and offer further comments.

Mr. Beaty, I was impressed with my '71 VW Beetle chassis at the time. Didn't collapse (much) at a 30 MPH T-bone impact with a Fairlane. My buddy Mr. Larry H. in the passenger seat lost a bit of scalp however.

IMHO, We Americans like to pay more for form over function. However, when form follows function it can be a beautiful piece of work...we will see. I agree with the Ferrari analogy however.

Like I said, if you build it for the discerning buyer and price it right they will come.

More engineering data in advertisements everyone! Right. Just look at that paint job!

Chris

The only real innovations in gyros since Bensen switched over to the offset gimbal rotorhead were those by Dick DeGraw:

Partially powered rotor with power split between prop and rotor by differential gearing.

Bensen didn’t invent the offset gimbal rotorhead nor did Dick invent jump takeoff but both refined those things in a way that made them practical and useful.

Bensen was the first to combine the offset head with a rotor having central flap hinges.

Dick DeGraw was one of the few to design a 3-blade rotor system with drag hinges that did not require dampers while avoiding ground resonance.

But those Flash Gordon wheel spats sure look spiffy.