Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Aaron

I doubt many of you remember me. Here was my intro post.

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16358

I have had a very generous offer that if nothing else will be a great learning experience for me. I have been given a nearly complete and almost all original 1963 Benson with a 72 hp Mac. It has been flown in it's lifetime but not for years and has had at least two owners who never flew it since. My plan for it is a slow and thorough restoration completely taking the machine apart, inspecting, replacing, repainting, and most of all learning. While that is going on some newly inspired dieting, saving up for some quality training, and basically gaining all the knowledge time and budget allows me over the next several months. Worst case scenario I have the coolest model airplane ever. Best case this old girl will see sky below her wheels again.

Side.jpg

Seat.jpg

Rear.jpg

There will be questions.

Aaron

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Sounds like a very cool project.
With these guys help you'll get her flying again.
Keep us posted?
Thanks for the pictures.

Last edited:

Aaron

Thank you I certainly will. It has a rotor head and Benson Rotors, it needs a prop the one on it is quite weathered. There is a small aluminum block that the rotor head sits on that is lost and will have to be replaced. It has been converted to a steerable nose wheel. The control rods have been pirated for another Gyro and I will have to make new ones but have the material and ends. The engine has been rebuilt and the Mag was sent out and redone. Thinking hard about the CDI conversion though. The square tube the mains connect too is bent very slightly. I shall be replacing that as well. Paint is falling off and shall be stripped, frame parts inspected for cracks and repainted black. Time and money. Oh! and a serious lack of knowledge for now....

Aaron

WHY

Gold Member
Aircraft
Ercoupe and Cessna 150, 152, 172, 140, Aeronca,7ac, Citabria,Chief,Piper PA11,PA12
Total Flight Time
Hi Aaron

regarding the statement "never look a gift horse in the mouth" I would say this ----if that horse can get you killed better look in both ends AND VERY CLOSE.

Tony

Aaron

I wholeheartedly agree Tony. Hence my tentative enthusiasm. Read my intro thread and you will see I do not have a death wish. I have 2 sons and they need their Daddy. As an ex flight intructor I know full well the value of training. I also understand that under no circumstances is this Benson going to attempt flight without being convinced by people far more knowledgeable than I that it is safe to do so. If it is determined that this Gyro is best suited as a planter for my wifes geraniums then so be it. My attempt at witicism could easily be construed as a lack of concern for safety. I did not intend it to be so. I simply meant that it was a wonderful and irrefusable gift and great opportunity to learn. Yes I hope it can be saved and made flyable again. But I won't foolishly endanger myself in that pursuit. Sorry if I gave that impression.

Aaron

Timchick

Tim Chick
Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex, 582 Greyhead
Total Flight Time
~30
Aaron,
You may be able to salvage a lot of it but you may also want to put some money into some of the major componants. Do you have any photos of the rotorhead? It may be well worth the money to purchase a new one as that is a very critical piece. You may be able to use a Black Beauty Rotor Head that some of the Gyrobee guys are using:
http://www.starbeegyros.com/productdetail.asp?ID=9&kits=

Your nosewheel setup should be changed back to the original setup. Several people have tried using bicycle forks only to have them smap off. Here's a front wheel fork from Starbee: http://www.starbeegyros.com/productdetail.asp?ID=38&kits=

They should also have the front wheel for that nose fork. You can still have a steerable nosewheel using that front fork. Here's my steerable nosewheel setup: (The springs in the photo were too stiff and have been replaced with some softer ones).

Also you should replace the side fuel tank with a seat tank.

Attachments

• New front wheel.jpg
    New front wheel.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
  • New front wheel2.jpg
    New front wheel2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0
  • KB-2 side2.JPG
    KB-2 side2.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Aaron

Tim thank you for the tips. I questioned the integrity of the bicycle fork in my own mind. I think Gyro's look better the way your's is and so that is on the list. I have read twice now to change the fuel tank to a seat tank. Fair enough but to help me learn why? Is it to get the weight back on the centerline of the Gyro or is there a fuel supply issue with the outboard tank or other?

I will get some pics of the rotor head once I get the machine home 1st week of Sept.

Aaron

XXavier

Aircraft
ELA R-100 and Magni M24 autogyros
Total Flight Time
816 gyro (Feb. 2022)
Be careful!!!!

Be careful!!!!

I don't like a few things that I see in your photos.

Be very careful!!!!

Your life (and/or) other lives may be at risk...

Rgds

Xavier