Need to sell (2) inherited gyro copters

STLAggie82

Wife and her brother inherited (2) gyro copters. They have been hangered for 8 - 10 years without being started or flown. What is the best way to determine what they are worth and how to sell them. Have pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

Timchick

Tim Chick
Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex, 582 Greyhead
Total Flight Time
~30
Posting some photos will help determine what they are and what they are worth. If they were always kept inside out of the weather that's a plus. Photos of the engines would also help us determine what kind of engines they are.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
If I was trying to sell gyroplanes I didn’t know anything about I would post pictures on the Rotary Wing Forum and let people who know something about gyroplanes tell you something about them.

There is a very active Popular Rotorcraft Association chapter in in Houston Texas; perhaps you could get one of them to come look at it.

Mike Grosshans AKA Mike 484 is the secretary, send him a private message and he may know of someone near.

Or contact Dayton Dabbs (800)241-0924 at Lone Star Gyros in Taylor, Texas.

Regards, Vance

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Thanks, Vance. Both gyros are located in the Hill Country near Kerrville. Any ideas or contacts for a San Antonio chapter?
I don't know of a PRA chapter in San Antonio.

We have a lot of forum members in Texas, perhaps they will be more familiar with who lives where.

Regards, Vance

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
RAF 2000 w/Horizontal stabilizer, KB3 w/tall tail
Total Flight Time
40+
The one is a side by side Air Command. If you find an Air Command enthusiast, you may get good money for it as there aren't many to be had. Condition is very critical, if they were indoors, out of the weather, that is good. The engine is a Subaru which is good since it has sat so long, shouldn't need much to get it running. I see blades on the trailer but can't see what they are, hopefully they are the McCutchens that were standard for the Air Command, if they are in good shape it would help a lot. Hard to tell from pictures alone on the value.

The other is a drop keel something, looks very much like a Sparrow or a Falcon II, could be scratch built or a modified Bensen or Brock. It has a Rotax which is two stroke, very bad for a two stroke to sit for long periods without being ran, it is a dice throw on what it would take to get it running again. Don't see any blades either but that may be a built in blade box on the trailer.

Of the two, the Air Command is worth more. Another question is, how fast do you want to move them? You can get a decent price and still move them quickly or hold on to them until you get what you feel they are worth. It is almost impossible to value them from just pictures, but if you want me to give you a range, just ask and I'll answer with what I feel the values are.

There is a small group in Luling, not meaning any harm at all when I say this, but I'm not sure if they have someone that can value them for you. Best thing would be to bring them to Anahuac (east of Houston) and let us look at them, or, maybe a couple of us can make a trip to you to look at them, for a small fee (gas and lunch).

Are you including the trailers with them?

Last edited:

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
Looks like a Bensen-style rotor hub (with pitch "knuckles") on the trailer under the 1-place. A few different metal-blade makers used this design, or offered it as an option: Brock and Rotordyne, and probably others.

They both look to be in better shape than the typical back-o-the-barn offerings.

phantom

the EA81 looks like a complete conversion by joe souza so it should add value,there is nothing wrong with a 532 on a single place, more than enough power for most people.
Norm

themonarch

Aircraft
'06 Monarch 582. 150 hrs. tt. Purchased from the builder. Please see my aircraft on Craigslist.org.
Total Flight Time
46 hrs tt. 36 hrs CFI. The additional 10 with accomplished privates. Snuck in an optional solo.
Barn goods

Barn goods

This is interesting. These machines seem to be one of the best "barn finds" to come along in a long while. We know, we've all seen others in less desirable appearance. Hopefully the innards fared well.

skyhawk3729

private pilot
Aircraft
none now
Total Flight Time
inherited 2 gyro

inherited 2 gyro

I am interested in one of your gyros call 8137047088 mike