need beginner advice for a Gyroplane build

Go back to Denis's (GyroTechnic's) FIRST BUILD ...of his (modified) hornet! (2012 ) You will learn a LOT and ...accept his offer of help & info - better still visit the GyroTechnic base in Mankato MN! ...you will get lots of good help & ideas!

All the above suggestions have good authority!

I am waiting on my Aviomania Duo kit to be completed and shipped to me. In the meantime, you are more than welcome to come visit. I have two projects in my hangar I am working on. One single place plans built gyroplane should be flying in a month or so.
Very nice of you to let me stop by! I will holler at you when my schedule opens up and see about a good time for you.

Go back to Denis's (GyroTechnic's) FIRST BUILD ...of his (modified) hornet! (2012 ) You will learn a LOT and ...accept his offer of help & info - better still visit the GyroTechnic base in Mankato MN! ...you will get lots of good help & ideas!

All the above suggestions have good authority!
I will check out the first build for sure.

Check-out ( facebook marketplace, Houston ) 2015 Dominator 503 rotax, 3 blade Warp Drive prop, built by RFD. $7500.00.
Unbelievable price!!!!

So I just saw this on FB too. What would you guys think about it? At the price, seems like it would save me a lot of cash, even if I needed to rebuild engine or replace any parts… Am I right??

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 5.09.28 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 5.09.28 PM.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 5.09.52 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 5.09.52 PM.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 29
You will spend all your time trying to get the engine started...
You could always put a rotax 582 on it with a short prop (54") The performance wont be spectacular but it will work just fine.
You really don't want the MAC engine on your first gyro.
And you will have to move the horizontal tail farther back for better stability.

So I just saw this on FB too. What would you guys think about it? At the price, seems like it would save me a lot of cash, even if I needed to rebuild engine or replace any parts… Am I right??
Neat little rocket ship. Dave Bacon, on this forum, can give good advice on Super MAC powered gyros.

An item worth thought is whether you will be able to find an A&P willing to inspect and sign off the annual condition inspection on an EAB gyro.

If you build one yourself, you will have a few hundred dollars tied up in tubing and hardware. A few thousand dollars tied up in engine, head and blades, instruments and perhaps radio stuff.

If you shop carefully and ask around on the PRA Facebook page, this forum, and Barnstormers, you might be able to build a basic machine for a reasonable amount (defined by you) of money.

Then, you'll be able to get the repairman certificate for your aircraft.

Jim

Check-out ( facebook marketplace, Houston ) 2015 Dominator 503 rotax, 3 blade Warp Drive prop, built by RFD. $7500.00.
Unbelievable price!!!!
That's a great deal, I would have scooped it up had I not bought the goodies from Davey....

You will discover either the easy way.... Through advise from good folks here on the forums... Or the HARD way... By purchasing some junk pile gyro and finding out its actually junk.... That the price of entry to a good solid basic starter gyro is going to be at least $6000-7500. And for that price its going to be used, not new, and will likely still not be perfect.

You will have $2500-4000 into rotorblades, likely $1000 into a rotorhead, And a grand or two into misc stuff like wheels and brakes and parts to construct the control system and a seat and a fuel tank and so on... Plus you still need materials for the frame and tail surfaces... AND a engine and prop.

I built a gyrobee inspired scratch built gyro back in 2007-2008 that was the most basic gyro you could construct. Just a basic airframe, no prerotator system, no instruments at all, just a single brake on the front wheel, and I used many used parts including the engine and prop, rotorhead, rotors, control assembly, rudder and horizontal stab. I had $5000-5500 into it and that was in 2007, at 2007 prices on all the parts and pieces and materials. I don't think I could replicate that gyro today for less than $7500-8000. This is the machine

In all honesty, that dominator that is for sale for $7500 in your area would be a steal for you to swoop in and purchase. You would have that much into sourcing used parts to build your own gyro and you would end up with a gyro that isn't as nice as this dominator.

If you want to tinker and " Build " something.... Buy that dominator and then tear it completely apart and strip the paint and clean and repaint everything and go over each bit and piece of it. Basically your not building a gyro but " Restoring " a gyro. It will give you the satisfaction of having done something plus give you the confidence that you know your gyro is in tip top shape.