Need Advice or opinions

Get sick in boats at start of season Tried the bands both electric & passive did not stop the feeling, but love sailing usually have a day maybe 2 feeling like S*** then ok for rest of season or till I don't sail for a month or so, Same reading pace notes in rally cars Will try the Cherry cough drop
Never felt sick in plane or Helicopter,

A word of caution here - what works for your passengers may well be illegal for the pilot. The FAA is concerned about side effects for pilot alertness and visual issues and prohibits lots of popular motion sickness OTC and prescription meds for use by aircraft crew members. Dramamine, Scopolamine, Phenergan, Tigan, etc. are all forbidden.

A wife/passenger may have been what prompted the thread, but I count five posters above, apparently all pilots, who indicated some level of personal susceptibility to motion sickness (at least on boats). If you think all the the readers of this public forum will automatically know not to try the same cures on themselves before hopping into a pilot's seat, you don't know the gyro world. And if you don't find my comments valuable, don't read them.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the advice.
She tried the sea-band, in fact she was wearing it when we went flying. She said she could not feel a difference.
@bugflyer @ultracruiser41 Thanks for the info on the electronic bands, I ordered one today for her to try.
Thanks @GeneralPatton for that idea too. She said she had never heard of using a cough drop before, but that she would try that also, maybe with the bands it will work.
@fara Thank you for the information. Does your wife fly with you? My wife WANTS to fly with me, she wants to go have a $500 hamburger with me, LOL. And she wants to find something, anything that will allow her to do that. And since you are in the gyro business, can you recommend anyone that might be available for hire or offers introductory flights and willing to take her and myself up in a gyro?
Flying a gyro was my first choice when I started getting in to this, but there are no schools around me that teach gyro, so i went with fixed wing and figure the transition to gyro would be faster and easier.

Again, Thanks all for the advice and suggestions. There have been some good ones!!!!

My wife used to fly with me a lot in trikes till she developed motion sickness after pregnancy. After that she has flown sometimes using the patch. Patch should be put on 6 to 8 hours before the flight. We landed out many times on sand bars early in the mornings here in the water. Has not flown in gyroplanes yet. I am planning to take her up within the next few weeks to try.
Well if you can come to Zephyrhills airport, I can take you for intro flight lesson. I added gyroplane to my CFI-SP

Lots of good suggestions here. I have been told by a couple CFIs that some people have found gyros less likely to cause airsickness than airplanes; one said it's not about the wing loading or easier time in turbulence, but just the different sensation caused by the way roll movements feel vs. fixed-wing. Take it for what it's worth.

My wife has a fear of heights, aggravated by open gyros, so a whole different thing.

Well if you can come to Zephyrhills airport, I can take you for intro flight lesson. I added gyroplane to my CFI-SP
@fara I can make that happen!!!!! In fact I would be thrilled to make that happen!!!
I have never been up in a gyro before, in fact I have only seen them at the Deland showcase, and Saturday was the first time she had ever been up in a small plane and only the second trip in a plane at all.
The first time was a trip to Vegas and back, and I will say she only got sick when landing in Vegas because of the choppiness.
I will contact you when we can find the time and make sure you would be available. Do you have a particular day in mind? Weekday or Saturday?
Thank you so much.

@fara I can make that happen!!!!! In fact I would be thrilled to make that happen!!!
I have never been up in a gyro before, in fact I have only seen them at the Deland showcase, and Saturday was the first time she had ever been up in a small plane and only the second trip in a plane at all.
The first time was a trip to Vegas and back, and I will say she only got sick when landing in Vegas because of the choppiness.
I will contact you when we can find the time and make sure you would be available. Do you have a particular day in mind? Weekday or Saturday?
Thank you so much.

Any weekday. Mornings are good. Or evening starting at 4 pm. Saturday mornings are ok also. Like to keep Sundays for self but if you have to come Sunday morning just let me know, I can swing it

Last edited:
Lots of good suggestions here. I have been told by a couple CFIs that some people have found gyros less likely to cause airsickness than airplanes; one said it's not about the wing loading or easier time in turbulence, but just the different sensation caused by the way roll movements feel vs. fixed-wing. Take it for what it's worth.

My wife has a fear of heights, aggravated by open gyros, so a whole different thing.

Planes may be worse. I've recalled now that once, my son was flying as passenger with me in a Tecnam P-92. I lined up with a small airstrip for final, and realized that the plane was a bit high. I said over the interphone: 'we're too high... I'm going to make a sideslip', and started that maneuver. My son then said: 'Dad, I'm getting sick...!'. I returned to normal flight immediately, and he felt well again...

For me, I can get motion sickness when I am " just along for the ride " but I don't if I am " Driving "

I would encourage her to grab the stick and " help " you to fly. Perhaps when your done taking off and climbing out and its more or less just straight and level flying, have her to do that part for you. Even just having her to hold the stick while your doing the take off and climb out, just so she can feel your motions and for her to learn what your doing may help.
Nice advice
o.png

Well, Just to update everyone.
We set up a day to ride down to Zephyrhills and see @fara and get a ride in the gyro.
It was a nice trip.
The wife took 2 Bonine an hour away from Zephyrhills.
When we got there everyone was very nice and welcoming and @fara started explaining everything to the wife and I and we decided that she would be the first to go up. So after all the briefings and instructions, and making sure she had her "bag" with her, they loaded up and taxied off.
When they took off and made the downwind turn and then i heard the engine sound disappear I was hopeful, LOL
They were gone about 20 minutes before landing.
I watched them taxi up and shut down, so I walked out there to see if I could help her out, and to see if i needed to take her "bag" from her, and she said she was fine, didn't get sick and in fact never felt like she was gonna get queasy.
I was happy, and was ready for my turn!!!!
So off we went for my first time in a gyro!!!
And it was exciting, weird, a little un-nerving due to feeling like i was gonna fall out with no doors to keep me in, LOL
But I liked it!!!!
So after @fara put it through it's paces a little, showed me what it could do including stopping in mid air (cool), he let me take the stick for a little while. It flies real nice. Very stable. And I was AMAZED at how it took gusts and wind.
Landing was interesting too. I am used to turning for final at a mile, not at the end of the runway, LOL
These things are a trip when landing!!!!
I want to extend @fara my utmost thanks for taking the wife and I up and taking the time with us!!!
We BOTH really enjoyed it, she STILL talks about it!!!
I will be in touch with @fara as soon as we know if the world is going to survive April, LOL
20200323_104648.jpg

Bonine always worked for my wife when offshore passages turned white knuckle. When are go going flying again?

Bobby

SSDrive - Did you put a deposit in a nice AR-1? It’s the best gyrocopter for wives that are prone to motion sickness. I like white the best to help with the decision!
That was very nice of Fara to help!

Are gyroplanes smoother flying and less susceptible to buffeting than fixed-wing aircraft?
To a degree they are, however as one who has been accustomed to flying for years I am not one to judge this.

I do know that hypnosis can be a powerful tool and would in your case seriously consider this for your wife. I also know that as a charter, airline, and executive pilot I was constantly in contact with passengers who had this problem, that a large factor is not knowing how a big lump of metal can magically seen to be suspended, and consequently there is always a fear of falling, particularly in ‘air pockets’ when sudden even minor sudden descents can induce weightlessness that can be very unsettling.

A thorough explanation of lift forces can remove some of the ‘magic’ along with an explanation, of up and down draughts and its effects on smooth flight.

I certainly hope that you can sort this out because there are many of us who certainly wish our partners were so willing to be with us for our special interests.

Well, Just to update everyone.
We set up a day to ride down to Zephyrhills and see @fara and get a ride in the gyro.
It was a nice trip.
The wife took 2 Bonine an hour away from Zephyrhills.
When we got there everyone was very nice and welcoming and @fara started explaining everything to the wife and I and we decided that she would be the first to go up. So after all the briefings and instructions, and making sure she had her "bag" with her, they loaded up and taxied off.
When they took off and made the downwind turn and then i heard the engine sound disappear I was hopeful, LOL
They were gone about 20 minutes before landing.
I watched them taxi up and shut down, so I walked out there to see if I could help her out, and to see if i needed to take her "bag" from her, and she said she was fine, didn't get sick and in fact never felt like she was gonna get queasy.
I was happy, and was ready for my turn!!!!
So off we went for my first time in a gyro!!!
And it was exciting, weird, a little un-nerving due to feeling like i was gonna fall out with no doors to keep me in, LOL
But I liked it!!!!
So after @fara put it through it's paces a little, showed me what it could do including stopping in mid air (cool), he let me take the stick for a little while. It flies real nice. Very stable. And I was AMAZED at how it took gusts and wind.
Landing was interesting too. I am used to turning for final at a mile, not at the end of the runway, LOL
These things are a trip when landing!!!!
I want to extend @fara my utmost thanks for taking the wife and I up and taking the time with us!!!
We BOTH really enjoyed it, she STILL talks about it!!!
I will be in touch with @fara as soon as we know if the world is going to survive April, LOL
View attachment 1146954

It was my pleasure and just for people to know, this was beginning of last week. I am limiting contact with anyone new, I advise all to take similar precautions. The world will definitely survive and so will we and you will be a quick study. I hope to see you again soon.

Sounds like this virus can be transmitted just from infected people breathing and talking, and doesn’t need coughing or sneezing. Time to get the masks out,

That’s great news, delighted to hear that both you and your wife enjoyed the ride, and well done @fara. Nice gesture.

Time to get the masks out,
For a while the advice was masks were only necessary for people with the virus...to protect others, or for health workers actually dealing with patients who had the virus. There has recently...in the last few days, a reassessment been made by the UK Health Authorities, and the advice may now be that a mask does afford protection and should be worn when out and about.

This will however put a massive increased demand on a PPI (Personal Protective Item) that is already in short supply for the front line health workers dealing with this crisis.

I have read that the N95 & other masks are able to filter down to 0.3 microns, but the virus is supposed to be smaller.

(Corrected to proper size of 0.3)

Last edited:
Kevin, I believe that is .3 microns.

smiles,
Charles