Nav Lights

Ramjet555

I would appreciate some direction on LED Nav lights , strobes and landing lights for a RAF2000
Looking at Ebay and Amazon for ideas. Am a little shocked at the cost of LED versions of Aircraft Landing Lights.
As its not a certified aircraft, we can put almost anything we like on as lights but
I would appreciate some ideas on what others have done.

If possible I'd like to keep the strobes separate from the lights, but that would be great if strobes
are turned on by a separate colored wire.

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18 / Aviomania G2sA-2
Total Flight Time
500+
I was just ground-testing my new navigation lights last night !
Got them 'on sale' at Oshkosh price (10% off).
They are VERY bright and I am VERY happy with them.

Save some dollars or save your life, you pick.
Brian

Ramjet555

I was just ground-testing my new navigation lights last night !
Got them 'on sale' at Oshkosh price (10% off).
They are VERY bright and I am VERY happy with them.

Save some dollars or save your life, you pick.

Yes, well aware of the expensive AeroLeds

I cannot afford those prices. I posted looking for the most economical
not certified options.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Wal-Mart has some nice boat LED navigation lights.

The entire unit is priced less than a single bulb for my Whelan navigation lights.

I tried using automotive LED lights for landing lights and was disappointed in the brightness and reliability. I ended up buying aviation quality LED landing lights and it was money well spent.

I have not found landing lights that I feel offer enough light to have a safe landing in the dark.

I have mine adjusted where they cross when it is time to flare because I find judging my height above the runway at night challenging.

Good landing lights are a help when taxiing in the dark and greatly increase the gyroplanes visibility even during the day..

Bright and reliable anti-collision lights appear to me to be expensive.

Gyroplanes are very hard to see and I feel good quality anti-collision lights may enhance other pilots’ ability to see and avoid a gyroplane.

Anti-collision lights let everyone at the airport know when the engine is running.

At night it is important to be courteous with good anti-collision lights.

Most RAFs have a strong enough electrical system to run quarts-halogen landing lights which are less expensive than good quality LED landing lights.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
I have mine adjusted where they cross when it is time to flare because I find judging my height above the runway at night challenging.
The Dam Busters used a similar crossed light system for gauging the correct bombing run height for skipping the bouncing bombs.

Besides I have heard it said that landing lights at night when runways and airports generally have pretty good lighting systems can simply illuminate what you would rather not be landing on.:oops:

Last edited: