Nashua, New Hampshire - Magni M24 N327JD - 15th Jan 2020

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Local media report

NASHUA - Emergency crews are responding to reports of a gyrocopter crash at Nashua Municipal Airport. Nashua fire officials confirmed firefighters were dispatched to Nashua Municipal Airport at Boire Field, 93 Perimeter Rd. in Nashua, around 3 p.m. for reports of an experimental aircraft down in the middle of a runway. Fire and police officials said the crash involves a gyrocopter, and with at least one person injured.

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Local news report - NECN appears to show a yellow Magni M24 - good news pilot minor injuries

Steve_UK

Aircraft
Update - The FAA ASIAS summary says "AIRCRAFT ON DEPARTURE ROLL WENT OFF THE RUNWAY, NASHUA, NH. " damage substantial.

N327JD is a very new machine - newly registered in October 2019

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 airplane, 1.5 PPC, AND... a ZILLION hours of flying in my dreams!
From the looks of the gyro from the overhead news helicopter, the Magni took a hard hit on the last couple of feet of it's tail boom, from the angle it is bent upwards (best seen at the very briefly shown view @ 1:02-1:03 of the newscast video). The entire tail assembly is missing from the tail boom. It may be the yellow debris on the ground underneath the rotorhead & cockpit area. Appears to have hit hard tail first, maybe at an extreme angle of perhaps 60-70 degrees.

Perhaps a pop-up off the ground, after too much A/S taking off, resulting in becoming extremely nose high, and gravity was more powerful than the ability of the rotors to climb out that way.

Last edited:

ventana7

Gold Member
Aircraft
Xenon Gyroplane, Cessna 182
Total Flight Time
Great reporting as usual for aviation: It had a hard landing on its takeoff roll.

Glad the pilot is OK.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Injuries at this time are listed as unknown on the ACIAS report.

The owner of the aircraft has a Sport Pilot, Gyroplane certificate issued 6/7/2019.

Hopefully we will find out more.

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
I wish MORE CFI's would get onboard with Phil Harwood's Gyropedia efforts ...THIS accident jumps out at me screaming ...of a "rotor-handling" FUBAR! ( Magni in USA have had an amazing stellar record ...certainly in the 7 years I have been around gyros ...compared to all other brands ...and I suspect much of that has been due to their training curriculum and the old-school CFI's like Greg G. )
When I asked about what they do for insurance within the Magni owners group ...seems they "self-insure" - good machine - good training ...reputable pilots become Magni owners & infused with a culture of responsibility! ....... so this accident is quite a shocker!
Very sorry to hear ...prayers for healing & understanding! ( & sharing what happened)!

Ed L

I wish MORE CFI's would get onboard with Phil Harwood's Gyropedia efforts ...THIS accident jumps out at me screaming ...of a "rotor-handling" FUBAR! ( Magni in USA have had an amazing stellar record ...certainly in the 7 years I have been around gyros ...compared to all other brands ...and I suspect much of that has been due to their training curriculum and the old-school CFI's like Greg G. )
When I asked about what they do for insurance within the Magni owners group ...seems they "self-insure" - good machine - good training ...reputable pilots become Magni owners & infused with a culture of responsibility! ....... so this accident is quite a shocker!
Very sorry to hear ...prayers for healing & understanding! ( & sharing what happened)!
At the AZ course Phil also predicted we’d see more blade flaps in 915iS-powered gyros. My understanding is this is such a gyro and it sounds like he may be correct - just speculating.

The technique he taught there is sound: learn what your throttle position is for cruise and set power there first during takeoff till the nosewheel starts coming off and the rotor is increasing RPM on its own, then (and only then) increase power to climb power, which for a fire-breathing 915iS (or even a 914) may not be full throttle, especially on a cold day solo.

thomasant

Aircraft
AR1, Aviomania Genesis Sport
Total Flight Time
3400+
That is an excellent technique for the new powerful engines. Just because one has a lot of reserve of power does not mean that it needs to be used on the take off. The extra HP is for extra weight on a hot day (Tech term: density altitude). Once airborne, it is not an issue if the gyroplane tends to drift, which can be corrected by suitable control application. Problems abound in take off during the ground roll with excessive power application. Blade flap, going off the runway, nose whipping up, to name a few. (Tech terms: power yaw and power pitch couplings)
Be gentle, caress the throttle and the rotor RPM.

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 airplane, 1.5 PPC, AND... a ZILLION hours of flying in my dreams!
Wondering if the accident pilot came into gyros from airplanes, & forgot his training WRT rotorblade management.

Ed L

I understand he had some FW time but no rating. And it was apparently more than a basic blade flap. And only 10 hours on the gyro itself.

loftus

Aircraft
Aircam
Total Flight Time
500 hours
Chris and others, why the certainty it is blade flap and not getting behind the power curve on takeoff with a resulting tail strike? The higher power engine makes it less likely but not impossible. I have seen the latter in one case with a friend at Wauchula in a 914 powered MTO with what would appear to be similar destruction of the tail and tail boom.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Problems abound in take off during the ground roll with excessive power application. Blade flap, going off the runway, nose whipping up, to name a few. (Tech terms: power yaw and power pitch couplings)
Be gentle, caress the throttle and the rotor RPM.
Excellent points raised with regard to excess power, and TO, a situation not often faced by the majority of gyros. Certainly something I am looking at and thinking about with the single seat 912ULS.

Have had this on fixed wing with big engine small plane/rudder. Pitts with bigger engine, think 200hp, did not use full power for TO due rudder authority.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Just imagine a takeoff in a Republic P47, a WWII single radial engine taildragger with 2600 hp at full turbocharged throttle. The yaw when the tail came up must have been astonishing.

Steve_UK

Aircraft
best source of info so far is in post #3 - here from FAA ASIAS

Update - The FAA ASIAS summary says "AIRCRAFT ON DEPARTURE ROLL WENT OFF THE RUNWAY, NASHUA, NH. " damage substantial.

N327JD is a very new machine - newly registered in October 2019

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Chris and others, why the certainty it is blade flap and not getting behind the power curve on takeoff with a resulting tail strike? The higher power engine makes it less likely but not impossible. I have seen the latter in one case with a friend at Wauchula in a 914 powered MTO with what would appear to be similar destruction of the tail and tail boom.
What you say is possible Jeffrey because he may not have had full power in being cautious with the new, more powerful aircraft.

I feel that presuming it is a blade sailing event is premature.

Magni is conspicuously absent of blade sailing events in the NTSB reports.

It appears to me Dayton Dabbs trained the pilot and in my opinion he is a particularly good flight instructor.

In my opinion a medical event is also a possibility.