Narrowed my options I think but

Skycruiser - from Hungary??

Skycruiser - from Hungary??

Possible there MAY be a new Skycruiser in attendance @ Bensen days!

First one in US is due into FL in the next few months!

I just want to pipe in here and say, Ernie, Dominator's designer and company owner does not recommend the tandem till you have a couple hundred hours flying. Ernie will not sell you a tandem Dom. till you have the hours. Of course you can purchase a used tandem Dom. from a private Party with out any hours at all.

He has softened his stance on that lately. He says now he will sell one to anyone with the money. He new thought is I'm not my brother's keeper.

He has softened his stance on that lately. He says now he will sell one to anyone with the money. He new thought is I'm not my brother's keeper.

That's a very big deal. I had dismissed Dom because I didn't want single seat. I have hundreds of fixed wing time, but it could take me many years to accumulate 200 hours of gyro time under the former policy. Might have to re-evaluate, but I still really like the semi-enclosed MTO style.

Mike, it's to bad Ernie didn't pipe in sooner, many times in the past it's been mentioned on the forum that he wouldn't sell a tandem with out a couple hundred hours of flight time in a single seat Dom. I'm sure he lost some sales.

GyroRon. Yes those are an option but not for me. Maybe I should explain my mindset and why I am specifically looking for a gyro with an experimental rating.

I gave ultralights a lot of thought, and when I was young I was obsessed. It was a good thing we were pretty poor. Then I got older, and realized I was not ten feet tall, bullet proof, and a total chick magnet. I look back at my younger years and realize I should have spent years in jail, or died from bad decisions.

Go forward several years and I still considered an ultralight but watched one lose engine power glide down and "land". Quickly turning into a pile of twisted metal and pilot. Pilot survived with a few broken bones and stained undies. Then I saw a gyro, on youtube, lose it's power and easily land with very little difference than if it landed under power. In fact, to my untrained eye, it looked smoother.

I realize there is nothing in existence that is a completely safe aircraft. Nothing in life is completely safe, but we can take precautions to survive it. Gyros are the the precaution I have chosen, in my decision to fly.

As for the ultralight gyros, and folks may take issue with this and thats fine, I see strength being sacrificed for weight. I took over my father-in-laws boat repair and storage business after he died. I have learned a lot from the boats I worked on. the sturdier boats survived better. Maybe this is a belief based in ignorance when it comes to gyros but I want something of substance under me when I come down hard. Just as no boat owner plans to plow into a submerged rock or get driven into the wake of a much larger boat by a moron on a PWC it happens, no pilot plans to come down hard. I would rather expect and prepare for the "Ah hell" moments.

If it means I need to jump through some hoops get a license, and take classes that's fine. At least I will feel better that a heavier sturdier machine is under me. In the end it is me up there so....

Obviously, since I am new, If my perception is wrong please explain.

With all due respect, your ignorant on this subject.

Yes, there were some ultralight airplane designs made in the late 70's early 80s that were structurally unsafe. Some had unpredictable flight handling. There are some designs to avoid for sure. But there are also many well proven designs out there that have absolutely no issues.

As for crash - ability of a ultralight plane to a gyro, you can deploy a parachute on the plane and walk away from the " crash " ... you can't put a parachute on a gyroplane.

Gyros do have the advantage of making landings in small spaces, but as a highly experienced pilot in both ultralight airplanes and gyros, I can tell you that it takes ALOT of skill to perform a drama free landing in a very confined area with a gyro. And I can say that the average ultralight plane can land in a pretty confined area as well, not as small as a gyro but still small.

As for crash protection or survivability of a gyro being better than a ultralight airplane I think your completely misled and mistaken.

For me, I ALWAYS feel safer in a ultralight plane... knowing I have a red handle in front of me I can pull and deploy a parachute. In a gyro you have no options if you end up in a loss of control or airframe failure.

Some ultralight planes are stronger than others.... this is MY plane and me flying it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJY4lUommjc

As for crash - ability of a ultralight plane to a gyro, you can deploy a parachute on the plane and walk away from the " crash " ... you can't put a parachute on a gyroplane.

Though I have no issue with anything else you wrote but this simply isn't true about the parachute on a gyroplane. Watch us do it in future. Its honestly quite depressing to see gyroplane industry sit on the sidelines and not develop and offer such an option for peace of mind of out customers. Its doable and it will work.

Though I have no issue with anything else you wrote but this simply isn't true about the parachute on a gyroplane. Watch us do it in future. Its honestly quite depressing to see gyroplane industry sit on the sidelines and not develop and offer such an option for peace of mind of out customers. Its doable and it will work.

Fara, please start a new thread and tell me and us how you plan to do a parachute on a gyro.

I will give you this... there has been gyros with parachutes on them, but there has never been a gyro with a parachute deployed.

Many years ago the PRA was sponsoring a project, where Maxie Wildes built a gyro and the plan to do put a Parachute on it, and the pilot was supposed to fly up to altitude then jump out ( with his own chute on his back ) and remotely deploy a chute on the gyro to see what the rotor would do to it. Funding never came through and the project stalled.

Otherwise it is a subject that has been discussed at great length here on the forum. The bottom line is it has been said it is not possible to deploy the parachute on a gyro so as long as there is a spinning rotor overhead.

Aircommand offered a parachute as a option at one time, the idea was to fire the chute downwards and it was attached to the landing gear. So it would deploy away from the rotors and you would come down upside down under the canopy. Once the rotor slowed you could pull a second lever and the chute would detach from the landing gear and would be attached to the mast allowing you to flip rightside up and land on the wheels. It was never tested never proven.

Ive always maintained that you could put a parachute on a gyro, and in extreme cases, say the rotor parted the gyro, you could deploy and land safely. But I don't see how you can fire a chute with rotors spinning and not tangle up the chute and its lines with the rotor.

Again please start a new thread and tell us how your going to solve this problem.

total weight of the GRS system is 33pounds and cost is about 2500euro.

Price is about $4300 once they make it to the US. Matt at MGL is one of their importers. You have to have a special ballistics import license and renew it to be able to import them.

However, for the US market, its better to work with BRS. A bit more expensive but local and smaller footprint than GRS. You know Victor how many lives BRS has saved in trikes that also cannot handle sustained negative G's but it can save lives even when there is a mid air or you run into IMC inadvertently which can also create negative G scenarios. Almsot 85% of our trike customers take the BRS option. My hope is that our gyroplane customers will also see this value. It creates real chance of good security against all achilles heals. No hoping and guessing that the aircraft remains upright by some miracle in zero G which is really a crapshoot when you consider weather elements, attitude when the event happened and all kinds of other stuff. What we can rely on is gravity because we know the aircraft will come downward and we can reasonably rely on solid rocket fuel firing.

Last edited:
Yes I agree its a nice option to have.
The price would be great if the local importers charged a reasonable fee instead of almost doubling the price. I tried to reach the local dealer and when i couldnt, i reached Milan himself. Here is a break down I got, but was told to go through Matt.
As you know, chances of deploying are indeed miniscule to none and its a nice safety net, so pricing should be reasonable and not ridiculous. Also, extra 33pounds reduces useful load by as much.

GRS unit modification GRS 5/472 OUT + all equipment kit for installation is price ..... € 1853 - OUT unit and kit without twister ans steel and kevlar rope holders and € 278 .It is time to book engine shutdown switch ignition -to see to our website cost € 39.
Packig € 25 shipping to Los Engeles € 380

Delivery time is 3 weeks .
Sincerely,
Milan