N618PF Dominator for Sale........

MrGrey

Update As of 7/9/13 My Gyroplane is on the market... New Price 17,499

Link to Barnstormers ad: http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_797480_High+Performance+Gyroplane.html

The Pheenix Dominator N618PF has the following:

-Rotax 618 75 H.P. with "C" box and Centrifugal Clutch Package. Engine was completely rebuilt by Lockwood Aviation and has less than 50 hours on it. This engine is worth a mint alone.

-EIS engine monitoring with 2CHT, 2EGT, Water Temp, Tach, Altimeter, VSI, Hobbs, and whatever else comes with the most deluxe 2-stroke package.

-Exhaust system has been ceramic coated and protected from corrosion. The mounting bands and vibration isolators are custom made for the machine.

-22 Foot Dragon Wings

-72" Kiev Composite Propeller w/ metallic leading edge inlay

-The tail is the larger 68" one that is used on RFD's two-place machines and provides a "ROCK SOLID" stabilizing effect. In addition is is moved 8" back and gives greater yaw stability and authority.

-The rotor head is RFD's Double Bearing Head commonly used on the two seat aircraft. I rebuilt the entire head and it has new bearings w/ less than 50 hours on them

-Hydraulic Prerotator Assembly

-The airframe is factory custom stretched to accomodate the 72 Inch propeller. It is taller and more difficult to get in to the saddle than a standard Dominator.

-The aluminum tubing has all been professionally powder-coated black and no amount of gas, oil, sun, or whatever will cause it to flake like paint. Very durable.

-The aluminum cluster plates have all been painstakingly "burnished" or engine turned by me. "I can't count how many hours I spent doing this" The best part is that it will always look as fresh as the day it was done. I spent 80 dollars alone to buy the Diamond Extreme Clear Aluminum Clear Coat. It is 100% UV stable and will never fade, discolor, or flake. There are 4 separate applications alone "layering" the finish on. This was my favorite detail I added to the project.

-All aluminum pieces have been painstakingly polished and it shows.

-Tom Milton Calumet Air 7.5 gallon seat tank w/ matching cover.

-All Stainless Steel Braided Fuel Lines and fittings

-Custom Fuel Pump Vibration isolating bracket

-R.A.V.E valve actuator

-It has the oversized R.F.D. two-place machine drum brakes and they work great!

-All the electrical systems have been sleeved w/ corrugated tubing then wrapped with Metallized Mylar Overbraiding. This elimates RF noise and acts as a true shielding element from the ignition wires and other avionics.

-Cessna Aircraft radio antenna. With the RF isolation and this antenna I have better radio communications with this setup than almost any other gyro I have been in.

Build Thread: http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25030

Flying Video: PheenixFinal.avi - YouTube

Build and Final Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157625507866875/show/

Attachments

• SalePic1.jpg
    SalePic1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 2
  • SalePic2.jpg
    SalePic2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2
  • SalePic3.jpg
    SalePic3.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

RotorTom

Aircraft
Enstrom 480B, CTLS, Ercoupe
Total Flight Time
5000+
CLEAN! Can't touch a deal like that for the money! Someone will be very fortunate.

Friendly

Platinum Member
Aircraft
KB2 & KB4
Total Flight Time
Good demo for a gyro that is for sale. Love the climb out!, Good luck with your sale.

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
Great move, having the better half interested in aviation is life enriching for everyone.

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
RAF 2000 w/Horizontal stabilizer, KB3 w/tall tail
Total Flight Time
40+
Matt, I understand the wanting to get the family involved and praise you for this as there are many that wouldn't think that way. Ron has recently stated his interest is dwendling. Our sport needs young pilots and builders like you and Ron to keep this going and certainly the two of you are on top of your game at both flying and building. Hope to continue to see both of you in the future and wish you the best in whatever you end up doing.

MrGrey

I am not really going anywhere... just my flying style has changed and I think that I am gonna go throw back w/ gyros and build a Rick Whittage or Gary Goldsbury Style Mac Bensen after I get my plane. Really looking very closely at a Pulsar XP....

Dmorris

Aircraft
I currently own an IFR Carbon Cub FX3. This is my 3rd Carbon Cub. Owned a Xenon, 2 TAF 2000's.
Total Flight Time
Thousands and adding every week!
Man I had your bride sold on a Xenon. Don't make me come back.

helipaddy

Aircraft
Dominator, ELA 07, B206L4 and B407
Total Flight Time
Around 250 days
I think I'll do the Lotto on wednesday night, this is my ultimate machine. Sorry to hear you are selling it Matt.

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Vans RV4 / Dominator 582 Ultrawhite
Total Flight Time
ALOT
I am not really going anywhere... just my flying style has changed and I think that I am gonna go throw back w/ gyros and build a Rick Whittage or Gary Goldsbury Style Mac Bensen after I get my plane. Really looking very closely at a Pulsar XP....

Pulsar only has 2 seats..... 2 tiny tight little seats!

Hard to beat a Cessna 170 / 172 or a Piper PA-22 for economical flying and family friendliness.

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
ALOT
Matt, I understand the wanting to get the family involved and praise you for this as there are many that wouldn't think that way. Ron has recently stated his interest is dwendling. Our sport needs young pilots and builders like you and Ron to keep this going and certainly the two of you are on top of your game at both flying and building. Hope to continue to see both of you in the future and wish you the best in whatever you end up doing.

I ain't going anywhere either. Just have more interest lately in my motorcycling hobby. Gyro is paid for, and doesn't cost me much to keep, even if it just sits there and collects dust. I still love flying it, just don't get as much time to fly it as I would like.

MrGrey

Pulsar only has 2 seats..... 2 tiny tight little seats!

Hard to beat a Cessna 170 / 172 or a Piper PA-22 for economical flying and family friendliness.

Wifey and I are all I need room for right now...Pulsar is cheap on gas, fast, big enough for me and wife (me 5'11' 170, she 5'2 120). I have access to larger planes for bigger trips if need be...I am kinda tired of leaving her behind when she would enjoy flying with me.

BTW I expect to have ad on Barnstormers tonight w/ final pricing. I had to add up all the numbers if I were gonna build this thing exactly as it stands all over again then make the adjustment for all 18 hours of wear and tear... ;)

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Hi Matt!! I like the stat's of the Pulsar, 150 that's sweet, hope it is not as squirrelly as a Glassair or lands with as high of an approach speed as it limits the short fields you can land on.

For a married man this makes so much sense.

Many of my favorite life memories are of our shared family flying adventures.
It allowed us go to Vega, Palms Springs, Big Bear, Hollywood, etc just for dinner and a show and fly back the same night.

Our nights out on the town have an entirely expanded meaning!!!

Today my children make certain their children fly with Grandpa so they acquire the same experiences that they all had growing up.

Fix wing aircraft create some of the best memories for the entire family and travel adventures you will ever have.

My gyro(s) will be for me and a friend to go yanking and banking and sightseeing!!! Much more just for me!!!!
IMHO a gyroplane is way to much fun to ever give up, however it's not the best family toy unless they all can fly it!!!

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
ALOT
Your going leave the youngster with a babysitter? My wife never got the urge to fly with me once we had kids, the thought of a accident that took us both out, and the kids having to go to god knows where to be raised, scared her. I saw logic in it too, so never pressed the issue. Bad enough if one of us were killed, but both of us would be real messed up for Kasey and Ryan.

The Pulsar is a nice plane with a 912 Rotax or Jabiru. The problems with them other than the small cockpit ( should be okay for you and wifeypoo, but too cramped for my fat ass and another guy my size ) Is build quality. Being a composit aircraft, and one many newbie builders took on, it is nearly impossible to confirm a solid build without any gremlins hiding in a wing or tail structure that one day could cause a failure and a accident. The ones that are built well and show well are usually priced fairly high.... In Vans RV-4 territory. The cheaper ones are suspect IMHO.

A all metal plane or something tube and fabric appeals much more to me. Sonex... Rans S-6 or S-7...... Vans RV-4 or RV-6.... Thorp T-18.... Mustang II ......

Also don't rule out some of the two place Bi planes. Pending the wings are solid and the fabric is good, planes like a Acrosport II or Starduster II go along fairly fast, and are aerobatic and somewhat economical on fuel and upkeep.

For cheap easy flying, it's hard to beat a good condition Cessna 150. More than enough room and engine for you and a friend or the wife, Cruise speed around 110-115 mph, can get in and out of relatively short fields, Burns 4-5 gph and most have a autogas STC, Cheap to annual, fun to fly, and no hangar needed. You can get into a good 150 for under 20 grand. For somewhere in the mid 20's you can get a extremely nice 150.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
You can find real bargains out there. Cessna's and Cherokee's for $8K.
Put a $15 K glass panel in one and you have a safe $23K aircraft. They are slow aircraft compared to those mentioned but they are four place and an aircraft and engine that has proven to take the most risk out of your flying with a wife and children anywhere.

gyro

minigun man
Aircraft
Quicksilver Sport 2S, Quicksilver MX, Team Hi-max, Heath Parasol TG, AC gyro single & tandem
Total Flight Time
Matt, I did the same thing for two years (got out of gyros and went to FW) Now I sold all my FW except my parasol and now back into gyros.

My buddy has a skyranger which is a sweet ride (rotax 912)

MrGrey

Your going leave the youngster with a babysitter? My wife never got the urge to fly with me once we had kids, the thought of a accident that took us both out, and the kids having to go to god knows where to be raised, scared her. I saw logic in it too, so never pressed the issue. Bad enough if one of us were killed, but both of us would be real messed up for Kasey and Ryan.

The Pulsar is a nice plane with a 912 Rotax or Jabiru. The problems with them other than the small cockpit ( should be okay for you and wifeypoo, but too cramped for my fat ass and another guy my size ) Is build quality. Being a composit aircraft, and one many newbie builders took on, it is nearly impossible to confirm a solid build without any gremlins hiding in a wing or tail structure that one day could cause a failure and a accident. The ones that are built well and show well are usually priced fairly high.... In Vans RV-4 territory. The cheaper ones are suspect IMHO.

A all metal plane or something tube and fabric appeals much more to me. Sonex... Rans S-6 or S-7...... Vans RV-4 or RV-6.... Thorp T-18.... Mustang II ......

Also don't rule out some of the two place Bi planes. Pending the wings are solid and the fabric is good, planes like a Acrosport II or Starduster II go along fairly fast, and are aerobatic and somewhat economical on fuel and upkeep.

For cheap easy flying, it's hard to beat a good condition Cessna 150. More than enough room and engine for you and a friend or the wife, Cruise speed around 110-115 mph, can get in and out of relatively short fields, Burns 4-5 gph and most have a autogas STC, Cheap to annual, fun to fly, and no hangar needed. You can get into a good 150 for under 20 grand. For somewhere in the mid 20's you can get a extremely nice 150.

Well said Ron... a lot of options out there. I have not made a final decision on anything yet and depending on how long it takes me to sell my gyro and for what price that will be the ultimate factor. If i wait it out and save at the same time I might go for an RV...

An RV-4 in good shape is gonna be round 10K more than a Thorp in good shape...and a Pulsar is gonna be 5-7K less than a Thorp.... Least that is the way I have been trending it. If I get a plane I wanna go fast and not putz round like I am in the 172 right now... I just can't make up my mind entirely yet and I got time.

BTW any time you and ur wife get in that car together you take a greater risk than flying together....life is full of risks and one reason I wanna get an airplane is for my family. I can get life insurance flying a plane...gyros different story...(tried to get it) Should the unthinkable happen my family and especially my daughter will be well taken care of if I am in a plane.

I don't want this thread to go to far off topic or scare away buyers..., however, if you have ideas for planes 2-4 passenger 25-35k range that are 125mph or better lemme know...I know very little bout the kinda planes out there as there are so many. I got a feeling I have time to think about it more and make the right decision for me.