Total Flight Time
200 hrs
MZ202 Engine protoyped for the New Ultralight Butterfly
In response to my question about the MZ202 Larry replied:

"I think the MZ202 will be more powerful than the 503 and less powerful than
the 582. On the Ultralight model it should be a powerhouse....with an
electric starter...."

Here are some pics of the install.

Very affordable with great power to weight ratio.

Quick build kit less than 100 hrs.

Awesome little engine.

Birdy flew my little white 503 powered Butterfly at Cooma ( 2005 I'm guessing ), 503 rotax AC Tail and no pre-rotator, he didn't like the blades. At the time they were 21',9" disc. He told me that with a decent set of blades, it would be a good little gyro.

YouTube - Birdy and Butterfly Cooma 2005

I have 53 videos on youtube 13,059 views of this video being the most popular.

I put a set of 23 1/2 ft Pats on, that pushed the weight up by 30lbs, plus the pilot weight went up too. I'd pushed the pedals to the forward possie, so by the time Birdy flew it again (now Blue) with the new blades on it at Lameroo, it was wicked fun to fly. Unfortunately Birdy only flew a gentle lap, well Birdy can explain if he cares to.

Now Larry is running a lighter airframe, with elec pre-rotator to drive the Dragon Wing rotors up and over their hump. DW's are very hard to hand start, due to the nature of its profile, which makes for a highly efficient blade and very light, the region of 43lbs.

This little number would be dynomite now!

More powerfull than a 503 rotax, with a pre-spinner, weighs approx 115 kgs empty weight and sporting very light and efficient Dragon Wing Rotors.

For prices and specs go to the web site listed below

Attachments

• MZ202_1.jpg
    MZ202_1.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 3
  • MZ202_2.jpg
    MZ202_2.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 3
  • MZ202_3.jpg
    MZ202_3.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Mitch,

Thanks for the pictures. I hadn't seen the MZ version yet. I know Rich is building one (with the MZ engine) in CA as we speak so hopefully soon we'll start getting pictures from his build thread. Pretty sweet simple light machine.

The pictures above are really going to help me mount my new MZ202 to my KB3 project. Thanks, that Butterfly was my 1st choice.

MZ202 Engine protoyped for the New Ultralight Butterfly

Awesome little engine.

Greg,

Is Larry going to offer the gear box or is the belt drive in the picture going to be standard?

Is that the stock factory muffler?

I have written to Compact Radial (MZ engines) several times regarding gear box dimensions so I can produce a prerotator for this engine.
I have never received the courtesy of a reply. I Google searched MZ engines and found some "not very complimentary" articles. Anyone done any in depth research on these engines?

I've exchanged a few emails in an attempt to get an electronic layout of the MZ202 in .dwg or .dxf for my heli project.

To date I've only received broken promises.

-Mike

I've exchanged a few emails in an attempt to get an electronic layout of the MZ202 in .dwg or .dxf for my heli project.

To date I've only received broken promises.

-Mike

My research has just about made me decide to spend the extra money on the Monarch Butterfly with a 582. I am also checking into the Thunder Aviation Engines, both are 4 strokes. I just tried to call the number on their website, its disconnected, that may not be a good sign!!

http://thunder-aviation.com/

Last edited:
My old hanger mate had an MZ202 on his trike. For 3 solid years, he tried to get an engine manual from the company with rarely the courtesy of a reply.
Phone calls made to no avail....emails unanswered....and that was from 2008 onward.
Does this tell you guys anything?!!??
Correspondence and transparency (in my estimation) are equally as important as the actual product a company sells.
RIP...compact radial; you're just another piece of history as far as I'm concerned.

My old hanger mate had an MZ202 on his trike. For 3 solid years, he tried to get an engine manual from the company with rarely the courtesy of a reply.
Phone calls made to no avail....emails unanswered....and that was from 2008 onward.
Does this tell you guys anything?!!??
Correspondence and transparency (in my estimation) are equally as important as the actual product a company sells.
RIP...compact radial; you're just another piece of history as far as I'm concerned.

I emailed Compact Radials asking about engine service, etc. and I received this reply from Leon Massa in Canada in just one day:

Hello Tom,

We are the manufacturers of the MZ line of engines. We sell direct to OEM and end users of our engines. Simple maintenance can be performed by most end users. Or any skilled mechanic. If there is a need for anything major then I would prefer the engine was shipped back to us.

Regards,

Leon

www.compactradialengines.com

Plus, this dealer in FL, sells the engines and has a link to the manuals at the manufacturers website (I called them and they report repeat customers for their engines and are quite happy with the quality and service):

http://www.compactengines.com/

http://www.compactradialengines.com/pdf/MZ202man0404.pdf

I really believe that there are and can be problems with any 2-stroke engine including this one (I had 4 engine outs with the Rotax 503 during my 130 hours in FW Ultralights). But, training can mitigate fatal accidents when power is lost in any aircraft and there is not a perfect engine, period.

I emailed Compact Radials asking about engine service, etc. and I received this reply from Leon Massa in Canada in just one day:

The scuttlebutt I've heard is that Leon is a multi millionaire, has a very well equipped industrial machine shop and treats compact radial engines as more of a hobby. This may explain why he is at times hard to deal with.

Greg Mitchell - I find it interesting how well accepted the MZ202 Engine is in the Mosquito helicopter and the light fixed wing fraternity. ..... yet not so well liked elsewhere. I hope it is as good as I want it to be , and as good as you want it to be.

A good installation and a good round of testing should help to sort it out. . I think the MZ202 Engine in a gyro flown for a season by Birdy would be a good test. Just thinking out loud.

Speaking of Birdy ... great video of him in the Butterfly at Cooma. I enjoyed the flying and the background music seemed right. A bunch of good looking North American cow-girls want to see him take his helmet off and pose for a picture ... they are making a calendar or something. Why is it that women go nuts over Australian men ??? I have never figured that out .

Tom (shootthrees) thanks for your post about Leon Massa in Canada . As the MZ202 manufacturer I hope he continues to improve his product. I hear he spends much of his time on the workbench looking to improve his manufacturing process. It is a 25 hour drive from where I live but I would like to meet him some day and tour his factory.

The scuttlebutt I've heard is that Leon is a multi millionaire, has a very well equipped industrial machine shop and treats compact radial engines as more of a hobby. This may explain why he is at times hard to deal with..

I agree Alan , ... makes me appreciate someone spending a day dissecting an engine on a workbench .... instead of answering emails all day. Something like that.

All of the above is just my opinion .... and I repeat that I hope the MZ202 line of Engines is as good as I want them to be. And if not I hope they will be some day. If I ever build and fly it will likely be the MZ202 powered Mosquito helicopter.

Thanks Arnie, I truly believe that Larry Neal would not continue to sell an engine that is not as reliable as the 503 has been and I too hope that Leon's company is very successful and around for a long time.

503 vs 202

503 vs 202

Looking at the visual profile, the 503 looks like a truck engine compared to the 202. What kinda weight differential are we looking at?

In response to questions I put to Larry specific to this thread.

"Hello Mitch,

I always call Leon. He has always answered my questions.

I think Matt Pearson with his "Dragonfly" (I helped him with Butterfly
parts) had about 60 hours on it before he sold it. He liked the engine and
said it had as much power as a Rotax 582.

The Mosquito guys are the ones with lots of hours on their MZ202's. They
run them full out at 6,000 rpm's in flight....

It also seems that we now have a US Dealer for the engines. That should
take the pressure off of Leon:

http://www.compactengines.com/

Cheers,

Larry"

Larry sold 9 UL's total of which 3 are MZ 202's.

He said he'd use the MZ202 on the Monarch as well when the 582 goes by by. He believes it may be around for a while yet though.

Mitch

I really like this method of mounting the muffler using an extended engine mount plate to rest it on. The pic is of the setup used by Leon Massa, the manufacturer of the MZ. I would like see Larry's plan for the muffler on his ultrallight.
uploadfromtaptalk1333299303916.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is there any oil pump on MZ202? Or ,is it possible to install Rotax 503 oil pump on MZ? Did anybody try to do it ?

Is there any oil pump on MZ202? Or ,is it possible to install Rotax 503 oil pump on MZ? Did anybody try to do it ?

I am not sure, join the MZ 202 yahoo group and post that question. I prefer pre mix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk