MZ202 Engine protoyped for the New Ultralight Butterfly

REDHORSE556CES

Aircraft
None
Total Flight Time
200+
Mz 202

Mz 202

From what I've read elsewhere it seems that the ignition on the 202 could be a weak link if not dealt with very carefully. Comments?

shootthrees

Tom Duncan
Aircraft
Tango 2
Total Flight Time
170 Ultralight FW, 116 Gyro, 15 GA
All,

I am still somewhat interested in building an Ultralight Butterfly. Who has built one and or is currently flying one? I weigh over 230 pounds and am curious about the MZ202 performance. My goal is to build hours and work toward becoming a Sport Pilot CFI. Plus, I want to have the experience of building a Gyro.

Last edited:

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
Tom, contact Mike Burton at Airgyro in Utah. He just did the first test flight of an MZ-202-powered Butterfly Ultralight for a member of our chapter, and it had plenty of power, even at 4500' MSL.

Butterfly specifies, but no longer serves as a distributor for the MZ-202. It may have something to do with the fact our local builder had to wait months for the last few parts of the engine to be delivered. But there is a used one available with fresh overhaul for a good price right now in our neck of the woods, should you want to go that route.

Last edited:

jany77

Aircraft
cessna 150,172,182,trikes,ul
Total Flight Time
over 300
mz 202

mz 202

i just want to clear up some think about mz 202
the weight of the engine with gear box is close to 96 lbs, when I spoke with mr. neal from butterfly aero his version with belt drive is 83 lbs ,the redrive it self is about 20 lbs ,if you want to contact radial compact engines in Canada you have to call.
they don't answer email ,I called three times ,and three times I get answer

RotorRambler

All,

I am still somewhat interested in building an Ultralight Butterfly. Who has built one and or is currently flying one? I weigh over 230 pounds and am curious about the MZ202 performance. My goal is to build hours and work toward becoming a Sport Pilot CFI. Plus, I want to have the experience of building a Gyro.

Tom,

I believe Ron Clifton with with the Lone Star Rotorcraft Club near Houston has an ultralight butterfly with the MZ202. He has it built, but I'm not sure if he's flying it yet. The last report I heard he was dealing with some wiring issues.

Ira McComic

shootthrees

Tom Duncan
Aircraft
Tango 2
Total Flight Time
Used MZ 202

Used MZ 202

Tom, contact Mike Burton at Airgyro in Utah. He just did the first test flight of an MZ-202-powered Butterfly Ultralight for a member of our chapter, and it had plenty of power, even at 4500' MSL.

Butterfly specifies, but no longer serves as a distributor for the MZ-202. It may have something to do with the fact our local builder had to wait months for the last few parts of the engine to be delivered. But there is a used one available with fresh overhaul for a good price right now in our neck of the woods, should you want to go that route.

Thanks Paul, I am emailing back and forth with Thomas. I did not ask him, but, why is he selling it?

shootthrees

Tom Duncan
Aircraft
Tango 2
Total Flight Time
Emperor

Emperor

Larry sold 9 UL's total of which 3 are MZ 202's.

He said he'd use the MZ202 on the Monarch as well when the 582 goes by by. He believes it may be around for a while yet though.

Mitch

Greg,

I am looking at building an Emperor Butterfly using the MZ 202. I have a PM that suggests using 2.88 reduction drive with a 70" plus 2 blade prop, which gives 360 pounds of thrust. However, I am afraid that the Emperor will only accommodate a 60" prop, so it might need 3 blades.

Finally, there is a used MZ 202 with a 2.55 reduction drive. Perhaps someone can tell me if the 2.55 would be adequate for the Emperor.

shootthrees

Tom Duncan
Aircraft
Tango 2
Total Flight Time
I have decided on more horsepower, due to my weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

MyTech

Ultralight butterfly

Ultralight butterfly

Hi, I am in need of some help sourcing the final parts for the Ultralight Butterfly. Larry Neal died before I received the last of the Kit and I'm not getting any response from the company. Specifically I need the MZ202 engine, prop, reduction gear parts and muffler.

any help would be appreciated,

Thanks
Steve Wilson
[email protected]
803-513-6395