Mz 202

gyrosherwood

Has anyone heard anything on how the MZ202 engine is that "Compact Radial Engines" make. Are they reliable? Does anyone have one?:cool:

RockyMeLad

Curmudgeon-in-Training
Aircraft
Desert Bee (Gyrobee)
Total Flight Time
Mz202

Mz202

Brian,
I have one on the Desert Bee. Only about 35hrs on it so far, but good to this point. So far my service ceiling is about 8,000ft and I'm playing with the carbs, prop, and gearbox to find a more efficient system at higher altitudes. It was strong down in Florida at Benson Days (sea level) as would be expected.

gyrosherwood

Mz 202

Rocky
Thanks for the input. Thats good to hear about no problems so far. Still debateing about a 582 or MZ 202. Does hp of engine seam to be what they say in there discription of engine? 60hp at 5800rpm.

RockyMeLad

Curmudgeon-in-Training
Aircraft
Desert Bee (Gyrobee)
Total Flight Time
HP Rating?

HP Rating?

Brian,
Sorry, but my experience in this is limited. Most of the other "Bee" drivers are close to sea level. I do know flying there is different than at the density altitudes I see typically, so not a reasonable comparison. I'm still experimenting with carbs, prop and gear ratios to optimize thrust. If my home-made gauge is accurate, I'm only getting about 210-215 lbs of thrust at a DA of 7,000 ft. :(
"But Scotty, I need more power!"

gyrosherwood

Thanks Rocky
It does give me some insight on the engine and have been checking out some ultralight and PPC websites and forums to find out more info.

Joe Pires

star hoarder
Aircraft
Aviomania GS2.
Total Flight Time
600 ish solo gyro and 190 ish two place
I bought a gryo with the mz202 and wanted to order some parts so I called and was lucky enough to get in touch with one of the two owners of the company that produces them.

He brought up the article that is linked a few posts above. The engine that I have and many others have been redesignated mz202 P. The p stands for ported and is not a configuration sold by the manufacturer.

The P model has been sent to a shop and had some internal parts redesigned. It was his contention that these engines were not all put back together with the proper seals and sealants and has been a real source of contention.

My engine according to Brent Brown has nearly 75 hours on it. I have not yet flown it but it seems to be a fine little engine. I will let you know more once I complete my training.

Joe

Adam H

Aircraft
Dominator
I was at Oshkosh this past week and while there I stopped in at the Mosquito helicopter tent. They use the MZ-202 and claim to have had no problems with them.

Paul_in_Ohio

I saw the Mosquito's flying as well. They were really chewing up the air and having a great time. the MZ's looked and sounded great. Oh, and it was hot! 90's the whole time I was there. The place was great and big. Anyone make it to Fond Du Loc <sp?> for the gyros? I heard about it too late to go. I did get to see the Monarch do it's short hop and hear the presentation/Q&A on it and the MLS prerotar.

gyrosherwood

Mz 202

Well guys and gals. I am no longer looking for the answer to my engine crisis . I have just purchased a 582 bluehead off of barnstormers and now am one step closer to getting the GoldenBee off the ground!!!:eek:

RockyMeLad

Curmudgeon-in-Training
Aircraft
Desert Bee (Gyrobee)
Total Flight Time
Brian,
Not to worry guy. The 582's are tried and true, hard to go wrong there. Glad you're getting closer to getting your "Bee" in the air.

Adam H

Aircraft
Dominator
Congrats on the engine Brian, although I'm still confused about the MZ-202! You know the 582 will be great. BTW, we are having a cookout on September 16th at Lansing in the afternoon, later we will be showing "The Great Skycopter Rescue" outside on the big screen. I'm contacting everyone around to come. I hope you can make it, you should also bring your gyro if its done or not, just to show off.

gyrosherwood

cookout

cookout

Adam
I will definatly come to the cookout if I can. And bring the gyro. I am probably starting a new job next week. I will be working 4 days on and 4 days off. 12 hour days. I hope 1 of my 4 days off fall on that day.
I hope to have the gyro ready for hang test by the end of this month.:eek: :D

Fragmaster

Aircraft
Airframes Unlimited T-2 Powererd Parachute
I have seen the 202 flying on a trike, the owner was very happy with the engine and his opinion was it was as good as the 582. I have considerd it as a replacement for my 582 or for the plant on whatever my next bird is. The engine looked well built.

Tom Barber
Fragweb Network Admin
http://my.fragweb.com

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Vans RV4 / Dominator 582 Ultrawhite
Total Flight Time
ALOT
It doesn't make as much power as a 582. Tom, have you met Todd Powell yet?

Paul_in_Ohio

The 582 puts out 66 hp with a weight around 129lbs. (.51 power to weight)
The MZ 202 puts out 60 hp with a weight around 87lbs. (.70 power to weight)

Also remember the water in the cooling system on the 582 will add some weight that the extra hp will have to overcome, where the 202 does not and also does not have the extra hassel of a radator system to deal with.

Rotax's history speaks for itself though. That, and the fact that Rotax parts are easy to get a hold of, sure make it tough to choose between the two.

Fragmaster

Aircraft
Airframes Unlimited T-2 Powererd Parachute
It doesn't make as much power as a 582. Tom, have you met Todd Powell yet?

True, but I was looking at the savings in weight and if used on my ppc I swing a 70" prop now so the loss of a few HP vs the weight was not a huge concern to me.

I like my Rotax, but as I have no idea of TT on this engine I am always a bit nervous. The choice comes down to rebuild the rotax or go for a new engine. As my 582 is an old style silver head it would need a lot more updating.

Of course I may just sell the PPC as is and move to something else. I got kind of shafted on the PPC when I bought it by violating the "never buy it till you see someone fly it" rule and had to have major frame rework done as well as electrical.

I have not yet talked to Todd, except maybe online a long while ago. I was really looking at gyros a while back, but real life threw me a curveball and I was sidelined from flying for a while. Now I am needing to scratch the itch again and once more gyros are calling. My wife would prefer I get a single seat ppc instead or a trike. She has been biased by the anti-gyro folks who repeat old stories and fears at fly ins.