My Twinstarr is Done !

Beautiful machine Rick!

I'm curious about the cooling baffles though. Are these type baffles known to work on a pusher configuration like this? It looks like they were intended for use on a tractor configuration.

If others have done this, and it worked fine, then great. If you're trying it for the first time, I'd really keep an eye on those CHT's.

Cheers,
Rusty (currently working on cooling baffles on my RV-8)

So Ron, things are a little slow and you have a lot of time on your hands?

works fine

works fine

13brv3 said:
Beautiful machine Rick!

I'm curious about the cooling baffles though. Are these type baffles known to work on a pusher configuration like this? It looks like they were intended for use on a tractor configuration.

If others have done this, and it worked fine, then great. If you're trying it for the first time, I'd really keep an eye on those CHT's.

Cheers,
Rusty (currently working on cooling baffles on my RV-8)

this is not new is the same as the Mcculloch, marchetty have them mine have them . works fine and I fly with 90+ degrees and my cht is never more tha 450.

beside the ones use in the barnett that suck air in the front is too much drag.

chuckP

Fantastic.

Fantastic.

Great job Rick. I was fortunate enough to see your "Bensen Mr Gadget" at BDs 1999. I hope to see Miss Gadget some time. At least you can take me for a ride in her!!! ;)

Aussie Paul.:)

Rusty, The cooling cowls are what Don Farrington came up with for the Twinstarr & is a some what of a copy of what Bensen did with the Mac. The prop is close to the cowls & acts like a scavage effect to pull more air off the cyl`s than would be as free air blowing off the engine. It works well for the gyros but when it comes to your RV you have to be carefull how much air comes thru your engine cowling & how your baffling is placed around the engine. Cold spots & hot spots are hard to control when inside of your cowl & can destory a cly quickly. Talk to one of your A&P or engine rebuilders about the baffling.

Hi Rick,

I guess ram air wouldn't do all that much good at low airspeed, and high power, as a gyro can operate. If you look at it that way, it might in fact be more effective to have the prop pulling the air through, since it's doing that even at low airspeed. At first glance, it just didn't look like it should work, but I guess it does.

As for the RV baffles, I hate building them, but there's no question about what works and what doesn't. As my Aussie buddy says, "settled technology".

Did I mention beautiful machine :)

Cheers,
Rusty

Rick .....she is BEAUTIFUL.

I am really liking those Twinstars ! I hope to someday get a ride in one .

Rick, your Gidget is awsome. Love the paint job and polishing. Hope to see it in person soon.

dang.jpg

I hope no one else plans to win any awards, cuz I think Rick will have them all sewed up!

Great job Rick.

Thanks Mike, You no I have a set of Billy BoB teeth but i think them there are the REAL MCOY`S !

Have any Twinstars been fully enclosed for cold weather flying or would that throw off how it flies.

No only 1 prototype and Don didnt like the handling plus it looks like the oscar winner mayer car.
chuckP