My turn

Spaans

Corvair Fan

Corvair Fan

Hey J-Bird- It's been awhile !!!!!!!!. Please update all your "fans" about your GREAT Dom./Corvair build.
Thanks
Big Steve

j bird

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Dominator/Airworthiness Certificate 9/06/12
Total Flight Time
26.5 duel,RAF,Sparrow-Hawk,Cavalon,Calidus.
There are several hundred Corvair engines powering experimental fixed wing airplanes, there's been a few cracked cranks, so a gentleman named Dan Weseman (www.fly5thbearing.com) designed a 5th main bearing for the aviation converted Corvair engine. There were some things I wanted to redo on the engine, so when I pulled it off the gyro I went ahead and added the 5th bearing. A few pics of the bearing.

Attachments

choppergabor

Aircraft
N65GK Behemoth
Total Flight Time
Too few to mention
That looks like a very strong and well maintained engine Jay. Nice job. I did watch the video too and she sounded pretty :) Nice job I hope the 5th bearing will do its magic :) What kind of ponies do you get out of that bad boy?

j bird

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Jake, Gabor, Thank you for the appreciative words. Gabor, a Corvair direct drive engine puts out about 110-hp at 3200-rpm, Iv'e pitched the 60" blades 3000-rpm static. These engines can spin 5600-rpm all day so at 3200 just loafing.

Jason O

"just loafing"

"just loafing"

Hello Jay,

RPM is not the only thing that puts pressure on engine parts. Running extremely high manifold pressures (wide open throttle low RPM) also can put extreme stress on various parts of an engine and lead to detonation. For instance Rotax says you should not run a 912 series engine at wide open throttle below 5300RPM because it puts too much stress on the engine. You should keep a close eye out for pressure related stresses (cylinder to block, cylinder head gaskets, signs of detonation) when running an engine like this. Your set up looks and sounds great.

FWIW
Jason

Jake, Gabor, Thank you for the appreciative words. Gabor, a Corvair direct drive engine puts out about 110-hp at 3200-rpm, Iv'e pitched the 60" blades 3000-rpm static. These engines can spin 5600-rpm all day so at 3200 just loafing.

j bird

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Jason, I concur, on some engines this is a valid point, but as I stated there are a lot of Corvairs flying experimental fixed wings, some high perfomance aircraft turning higher rpm with (4,000) smaller props. The expected TBO on this engine is 1000+ plus hours, many pilots have achieved this.
My engine has forged rods, pistons, and crank, cam specifically timed to produce power at a lower rpm, reconfigured distributor and timing to burn 92 mogas.
I have a total of around $5000.00 in the engine, fairly reasonable for a auto engine converted for aviation use.

choppergabor

Aircraft
N65GK Behemoth
Total Flight Time
Too few to mention
Jay I am impressed with that baby. 110 ponies are nothing to sneeze at!!!! Awesome. One more question if you don't mind.....how much does that bad boy weight? Just trying to figure out the weight/power ratio. I like the whole setup. But again as you have probably noticed I am not really anal about weight :)

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Nice work Jay!

Nice work Jay!

I always liked the direct drive Corvair conversions.

164 cubic inches at 3,200 rpm might make 100 horsepower.

110 horsepower seems a little optimistic to me.

I had a friend with a Corvair conversion that weighed just a little over 200 pounds.

He hand propped his.

I see Jay’s has an electric starter so it probably adds another 20 pounds.

It will be interesting to see how the cooling works out in a pusher.

Thank you, Vance

j bird

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Gabor, the engine weighs about 220 lb., the gyro & engine 500 lb., all up weight 775 lb. The Corvanator hasn't flown yet, I need more lessons, only have 8 hours, don't know if she'll leave the ground:help:.
Vance, William Wynn, (www.flycorvair.com) the Corvair man in experimental aviation claims she puts out 110 at 3200. My opinion, I don't know the true hp.
I use Wynn's claims, I know he's ran dyno's (sic) on his engines. Of course, he could be embellish-ing, he loves his Corvair's. Sure hopes it works.

Last edited:

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
I like the Corvair engine conversion.

I like the Corvair engine conversion.

Vance, William Wynn, (www.flycorvair.com) the Corvair man in experimental aviation claims she puts out 110 at 3200. My opinion, I don't know the true hp.
I use Wynn's claims, I know he's ran dyno's (sic) on his engines. Of course, he could be embellish-ing, he loves his Corvair's. Sure hopes it works.
Hello Jay,

I did not mean to cast doubt on your integrity.

The claim of 110 horsepower is probably no more optimistic than most of the claims for automobile engines converted for aviation.

Horsepower claims are a challenge because most are inflated so whatever you find in testing sounds small.

Cycle World tested a 78 cubic inch street bike of mine that made 89 rear wheel horsepower at 7,000 RPM on a chain drive dynamometer certified by the California department of weights and measures.

She ran 10.55 and 131 in the quarter mile.

The article said that she really made 110 horsepower and the tire must have been slipping on the dynamometer.

In my opinion most four stroke engines will not put out more than one foot pound of torque per cubic inch. If you multiply that by the RPM and divide by 5,252 you get a fairly well calibrated BS indicator for horsepower.

If I were to do an auto conversion for aviation a direct drive Corvair would be my first choice.

I look forward to your flight reports and how well your Corvair handles cooling.

Thank you, Vance

Last edited:

choppergabor

Aircraft
N65GK Behemoth
Total Flight Time
Too few to mention
AUW 775 is not bad at all with the hp you got! What size of rotor blades are you swinging? 26-ers? I am anxious to see how it performs. I really am. So when you start making your testing if you don't mind keep us informed :) Good luck with the training. Get a few more hours under your belt before jumping in the seat of that powerhouse!!! :)

j bird

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Vance, I assuredly, never felt a loss of integrity by your comments, I appreciate your knowledge on engines, thank you for your input, always appreciated !!!!!.
Also I went back over Wynne's manual and he states the engine produces 100 hp at 3150 rpm and with a more efficient exhaust system you can pick-up around 5% more power.

Gabor, your correct on the blade dia. 26-ers, Dragon Wings.
I'm really anticipating your first flight in that beautiful machine of yours, and I thank you for your comments.

Last edited:

Dawnsdad

Aircraft
none yet
OMG! Am I reading this right? You started this thread almost 6 years ago and you are still not in the air? Props to you for patience. Any idea when we might see video of you flying?

j bird

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
:violin: David, the gyro was basically finished in 2008, I also at the time rebuilt the junk Corvair engine to aviation spec's, gathering parts when you live in the boonies can drag out the process, by the time the gyro was ready in 08 I was setting up a reverse mortgage on my home which would have put a 100 thousand in my pocket and no more home payments, well you no what happened over night in the housing market, well, when you live on S.S and a retirement account you have to really be careful with the moola, but I did squeak out enough to get 8 hours flight training with Ron Menzie. I'm working on a deal for finances to finish my training this summer, so maybe the Corvanator will have it's maiden voyage this year.

Lee Scatt

Crash-test pilot
Aircraft
Bensen/BMW R-1100 (under construction)
Total Flight Time
500+
I like your gyro Jay. I think you will be pleased with the Corvair. I like the 5th bearing accessory.
It sure does sound nice. Good luck with your training.

Dawnsdad

Aircraft
none yet
:violin: David, the gyro was basically finished in 2008, I also at the time rebuilt the junk Corvair engine to aviation spec's, gathering parts when you live in the boonies can drag out the process, by the time the gyro was ready in 08 I was setting up a reverse mortgage on my home which would have put a 100 thousand in my pocket and no more home payments, well you no what happened over night in the housing market, well, when you live on S.S and a retirement account you have to really be careful with the moola, but I did squeak out enough to get 8 hours flight training with Ron Menzie. I'm working on a deal for finances to finish my training this summer, so maybe the Corvanator will have it's maiden voyage this year.
I am in a similar situation to yours. Summer of 2001 I took out a $100,000 loan on my house in order to build up a retirement for myself. Prior to that I had been taking care of the needs of others and, of course, various ministries. I always figured there was plenty of time to build up my own investments. Had plenty of experience in the markets, as that was how I had always made my living. But no amount of experience could have prepared me for September 11. Pretty much lost it all and you know the old saying "it takes money to make money". I had done a little bit of Gyro flying before all that and was really interested in getting my own. But you got to pay the bills first and that has been quite a challenge. Just recently I came across a business deal that will get me back on my feet if it comes through so I have been really licking my chops again at the thought of getting up in the air. The Dominator has been my first choice for a long time. But two things will keep me from building my own. First, I am afraid it will turn into a never ending project that little things always seem to interfere with completion. And second, as much as I believe in my own abilities, I think I would feel much better knowing that the guy(s) that put it together had done this a few times before. I'm not so sure that I want to fly an aircraft that was built by someone who didn't really know what he was doing. I am not really putting you down or anyone else who builds their own. But I would go crazy if I finished putting this thing together and wound up with a couple of extra bolts left over. Good luck with yours. I hope you get to put hundreds of hours on it (in the air, of course).

j bird

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Thanks Lee for the encouragement, I need it !!!!!!!!!!

David I sympathize with you, when the bubble burst the country lost trillions in equity, all I can say is, It's the sh*ts excuse the language, any way good luck.

j bird

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Getting close

Getting close

:rapture: Dodd, thanks for asking, the Corvanator's finished and running. I have 8 hours training with Ron Menzie. In 3 weeks I'm scheduled for training with Mike Burton in Spanish Fork,UT. Hopefully I'll be ready to solo. The Corvair engine purrs like a kitten, runs smooth as silk.