My turn

O-shlt, guys, I accidentally deleted the you tube video.:puke:

Hi Jay

Watched you video on your second run up of your Corvair, FABULOUS !! love it.

Have a few points about some of your commentary 1. only running up around 2700 and not running very hot, these two items are tied together, the engine is running rich and thus "fuel cooled" probable cause to big of carb, it this is true then you will not be able to get desired jetting and rpm you are looking for, is this the 122 cui or the 140 cui engine? Might get some good ideas from the "engines" thread and the discussion on the Holley carb charts. As you get near the right size carb your jetting will work and your rpm will go up and your efficiency will go up and your heat will go up.

One thing to be mindful of on that 6 cyl air cooled engine, once you get the "heat" up it is very important that the cooling air get "down" in between those cylinders and this will most likely require your cowling..

Best of luck on your project and would love to see that tiger in the air.

Tony

O by the way Jay, as a reference the 200 cui chrysler slant 6 used a 250 cfm carb, can't remember the max rpm rating on that engine.

Tony

Tony, Corvair's 1960 through 1963 were 145 cu.in., 64 through 69 were 164 cu.in. Most aircraft conversions are 164 cu.in. My engine is a 164. The original engines used 2 our 4 single bore Rochester's with .050 to .052 jets. I don't know the cfm of these carbs, but I have to think a 4 carb set up would have a total cfm of a least 350 cfm. I might be wrong, testing jets will bear this out, I hope. These engines notoriously run cool in a aviation environment.

Hi Jay

your right about those cui displacements, my mistake

Tony

finally got it to work (youtube)

finally got it to work (youtube)

hey guys, got the video on my 2nd run-up uploaded to youtube. In this clip I took the shroud of the left side cylinders to see what the temp.difference would be, side to side, no difference, 375* both sides. egt-950*. Dropped down two sizes on jets, still burning a little rich, only got rpm to 2700. Going to drop jets down two more to 57.
Probably need to change prop pitch mabe to 8*, I need 3200 rpm static.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnoNrz1aTOQ

Thanks Brent for the input, I won't be running the engine for a while, running that last test, I sucked up a small rock, damaged the prop, need to send it back to warpdrive for repair.
SUCKS

I,m getting ready to have my Dom. airworthiness inspection done, got a quote for $400.00 from a local DAR, He would have to drive 135 miles round trip to my place for the inspection.
Does this price sound reasonable?

Reasonable...No...but that's what I had to pay. The FAA will do it for free...if you don't mind waiting an eon for them to come out. Sometimes the "eon" is fairly minimal in some areas, while in other areas it bears a striking resemblance to eternity.

That sounds cheap I had my fixed wing done for $300 and he was local.

I,m getting ready to have my Dom. airworthiness inspection done, got a quote for $400.00 from a local DAR, He would have to drive 135 miles round trip to my place for the inspection.
Does this price sound reasonable?

If that includes his mileage. Then I say it's a good price.

In our area Tom Milton has the best price. Another DAR in our area charges $600-$700.

The Atlanta area DAR's are all around $550+. Some charge mileage.

Just for safety's sake, you really ought to be sitting in the seat when you do these run ups, even with the gyro chained down real good.

Hey Ron, I had it chained down with a logging chain with a bolt through the rear keel at the rear wheel, the other end under the bucket back over the chain hook on the bucket, of my 3ton farm tractor, if that Corvair can drag that tractor "she'll eat your Yami".:)
I was always ready to bolt for the wood pile. After sticking my finger in the prop last year, damn near loosing my ring finger, I have a lot of respect for running engine with a prop.

Thanks Guys for the input!

Hey Ron, I had it chained down with a logging chain with a bolt through the rear keel at the rear wheel, the other end under the bucket back over the chain hook on the bucket, of my 3ton farm tractor, if that Corvair can drag that tractor "she'll eat your Yami".:)
I was always ready to bolt for the wood pile. After sticking my finger in the prop last year, damn near loosing my ring finger, I have a lot of respect for running engine with a prop.

Hey I have done the same thing as far as standing beside the gyro working the throttle during a teethered ground run. Just saying that it is far smarter to be sitting in the machine with the seatbelt on just in case. At full throttle, if the chain or bolt or anything else suddenly lets go, I don't believe you or I is fast enough to move out of harms way. Alot of people have been hurt or killed doing what you were doing. Just be careful.

And I too love the sound of 6 cylinders. Especially at real low rpms

Thanks Ron, your absolutely right.