My Sport Copter M 912 Vortex Build

reelmule

Reelmule
Aircraft
Beech Baron C55; Piper PA 18 Super Cub; RAF 2000 gyroplane
Total Flight Time
5,000+ hrs;
I am relatively new to Gyros--built my RAF 2000 in 06 and enjoyed flying it for 300+ hrs but wife doesn't share my enthusiasm so decided to try my hand at something more responsive with better rough field handling, hence the M 912. Placed my order Aug 2010 but Jim had not finalized design at that time. When I received my kit Aug 2011 with all the upgrades the wait was well worth it. The build is very similar to the other models but also different. A call to the factory always brought a helping hand from Evan and I usually got it together. A type specific builder manual would be nice. After getting my paper work thru the feds and with A/W certificate in hand I trailered it to the factory where they pointed out (and corrected) ' several' discrepancies. Jim then flew the maiden flight and gave it his blessing. Having never flown a single place gyro I opted for dual training in the tandem trainer until Jim gave me the OK to solo my machine. I asked Jim to show me the boundaries of the flight envelope which was very instructive and initially caused a high pucker factor. I know of nowhere else where this training is available to civilian pilots. I then flew several solo hrs before heading back to Phoenix and the heat. Jim came to the factory Sat AM to install some D rings for me which turned into a 6 hr job with custom welding etc. How many CEO's extend that personal sevice on a week end, especially after a 2700 mile forced march to deliver Marv Wessel's Sport Copter II and returning just 2 days earlier. Jon 'Master Roda" was very helpful putting the rotors on and off and helping with inspections etc. Many thanks to Trenna and Kelly for all of their assistance and patients. My two 'kids' Jack and Jill ( 13 yr old Jack Russell terriers) had the run of the place and got on well with Evan's 'Laura' and Jim's Buddy. All in all a very positive experience This is a great gang of dedicated hard workers--even though President Obama says THEY DIDN'T BUILD THAT FACTORY I know they did!!

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex "light"
Total Flight Time
200+
Congrats Walt!
I had very similar experiences there. I look forward to seeing your rig at perhaps the next fly-in at San Manual...or El Mirage!

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
Congrats, Walt! That is a very impressive machine.

Yes, by all means - You must bring it to El Mirage!

reelmule

Reelmule
Aircraft
Beech Baron C55; Piper PA 18 Super Cub; RAF 2000 gyroplane
Total Flight Time
5,000+ hrs;
Tim, No photos--don't know how to post them! I tend to shy away from the camera when learning a new machine least I start showboating and wrap it up! Will be changing my Avitar.