My rebuild

Congratulations, Mike.
Both on the health and on the beautiful gyro.

I am concerned about your water temp, though.
Something isn't right.
Have you confirmed that the sensor is good with a temp gun or something?

This is absolutely a MUST-have to troubleshoot that temperature issue. Good call. There is no substitute for an infrared detector to calibrate your gauges and stuff with. I got a nice one on sale at the "Father's Day Store" (where daddy goes shopping every father's day, cuz they have tent sales in the parking lot every year for that...), better known as Harbor Freight, for just $19.00!

I love playing with it.

Great job!

Great job!

Congrats Mike on getting her in the air! I'm looking forward to seeing you and your rocketship at Bensen days in just a couple of months! Time's a flyin'

Mark

Mike , that's great ! How long has it been ? I'll bet your dad is proud of you also !

Water temps were fine while flying. The highest I saw was while running it up on the ground tied down. While in the air I don't recall what it was. I didn't pull any red lights on it so I assume it was good. Mike I flew for 24 minutes I started off at 7 gallons of fuel and after my flight I was sitting at 5 and a half gallons. I will document it when I fly again with pictures.

Last edited:
Way to go Bro!!!
Sweet Mike is fly'n....

Mike , that's great ! How long has it been ? I'll bet your dad is proud of you also !

Chris
I had not flown a single place since 2000. It seems to be like a bike. I have to thank Davie Seace he has been letting me fly his machine with him as ballast for a while and that helped significantly. This all started with Scott Lewis letting Dad give me some refresher time in his machine so Thank you to him as well. As for Dad's thoughts I will leave that up to him. I cant wait to be a participant in Bensen Days this year instead of a spectator.

Mike I flew for 24 minutes I started off at 7 gallons of fuel and after my flight I was sitting at 5 and a half gallons. I will document it when I fly again with pictures.

Do take a closer look, Mike.
My experience is that the 582 will burn about a gallon every 10 mins of flight time at typical speeds, i.e.5800-5900rpm cruise.

Do take a closer look, Mike.
My experience is that the 582 will burn about a gallon every 10 mins of flight time at typical speeds, i.e.5800-5900rpm cruise.

My cruise rpms are around 5200. 68" prop. I'm burning 3-3.5 gallons per hour with my gray head 582.

Here are a couple photos of Mike flying. Hmm. The first 3 photos where right side up when I uploaded them.

Attachments

• Mike 1.jpg
    Mike 1.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Mike 2.jpg
    Mike 2.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 7
  • Mike 3.jpg
    Mike 3.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Mike 4.jpg
    Mike 4.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
The credit goes to my old man. He did most of the work on this machine. I'm so greatful to him. This machine is a beauty and performs like a hit rod. I hope this engine is as reliable as it is powerful.

Mike - maybe you and Ernie could come help rehabilitate MissFit?
Ernie could pull a wrench on it.
And you could give the driver some diet advice?
:boink:

It's easy to keep your bird in top shape, when you only have one toy.
I have 4 vehicles, 1 motorcycle, a speedboat, deck boat, airboat, gyro,
And 35 airplanes and counting to keep airworthy!:wacko:

Dang, I have 6 cars, 3 motorcycles, tractor, diesel monster mower, gyro, plus the hydraulic maint on 700 aircraft! Plus I am remodeling a house. Hopefully I will find some time to fly soon! :)
But its all my own fault.