My Project

RayAR3

Aircraft
Bensen B-8M
Total Flight Time
Finally uploaded the pictures...

Look closely at the corrosion on the rotor...she's going to be a fun winter project!!!

Last edited:
Hello Ray,

I think you need to down load. Upload Dint work.
No Pictures.
Want to see who you are having fun with this winter.

Goodluck

Rehan Janjua
Air Command Pakistan

If you look at Ray's profile and "find all posts" you can see that he did put the URL in his message, but its not formatted correctly(dots after the name) and doesn't show up in the thread(until you click on the url below and then it will because its in the cache-strange.)

Here is the url http://image55.webshots.com/55/4/12/43/499741243mHIajX_ph.jpg
Oh, and now its showing as "forbidden" -probably a bandwidth thing.

To make a long story short, here is Ray's Bensen.. :)

Attachments

• B8M.jpg
    B8M.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hoo, boy, that one's an antique all right. I'd upgrade it to the late 60's frame configuration and use a Brock tank in place of the outboard tank to help with the vertical CG location.

The two big changes that will upgrade it while keeping it an authentic B-8M are

(1) altering the angle braces under the engine. The better arrangement is the same one Brock still uses: the mast-keel braces under the seat are switched to run from the mast aft and down to a hole in the keel under the engine. This hole is aft of the present one that attaches the present braces running down from the engine mounts. Those down-braces are replaced by longer ones that run farther aft to the new hole on the keel.

(2) beefing up the rotor head. Yours is the early Bensen gimbal head that uses a hollow torque tube and rod-end bearings to provide the fore-aft pivot points. The more recent solid torque bar and U-block assembly is quite a bit sturdier -- especially if you use a prerotator.

Thanks. I am still new to posting pictures. If someone can give me the 'Idiots Guide to Posting' I'd appreciate it. I looked for it under the FAQ's on the site, and didn't find one.

I have an original set of Bensen plans, and my version does mention changine the brace to under the engine. I plan on incorporating it, but I think I might stick to the original fuel tank to stay authentic to the X-25.

It looks like I might just use the frame for a pattern, depending on the corrosion, and start from scratch. I figure I can put together the frame in a weekend, as long as I plan ahead and have all the materials needed (the drill press and torque wrench will be my friend).

And beefing up the rotor head: Again, I am new at this game. So far I plan on building it like the plans say, minus the rotor head/hub/etc... Then I'll ask upon the forum! I'm assuming that "beefed up head" will attatch to the mast without any great modification? It will just depend on the head plate I use (and I might just purchase a KB-2 rotor head assembly for safety and ease).

I'll have more questions as I start dissassembly I'm sure! But for now, being a poor ex-college student, I need to start my track in the real world (new job starts Thursday), and there is a pesky sailboat in the driveway that needs to be sold to fund the rest of this project! (17' O'Day Daysailer, if anyone is interested)

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

Ray,

If you want to link to a picture or site, you can simply paste the address(url) in to your text as you did.- just leave off the ... at the end.

Here is a tutorial done by GyroMike on how to attach a photo, but the screenshots are no longer visible.
http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1274

I'll send a mesage to GyroMike and maybe he can fix it.

Let's try this!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0548_1.jpg
    IMG_0548_1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0552_1.jpg
    IMG_0552_1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0