My Pre-rotator does 310rrpm in nil wind.

Greg Mitchell

Aircraft
Butterfly Monarch 582
Total Flight Time
200 hrs
Yesterday was suppose to be 10-20 knots dropping to 5-15 knots during the day. Goeff Blackberry and Ole Mate Nudge (Nigel) and myself attended the Cranbourne Airfield, contending with 10-20 knots to start increased to 20-25 knot winds. It wasn't till about 5 pm that the wind dropped to 10-15 knots.

We flew off and on all day, then I went back and flew again this morning in still air. We got lots of pics and video. Ole Mate Nudge flew his X-Air into Cranbourne around 9.00 am and couldn't leave till around 5 pm when the wind dropped. It was a southerly , no sea breeze at all and the wind was pretty much straight down the strip all day and we were flying right hand circuits.

First spin up I got 280 rrpm with 20 knots of wind.

Second spin up 280 rrpm, third and fourth spin ups 290 rrpm. All wind assisted.

I am presently uploading a video to Youtube, so I'll link it when it's ready....290 rrpm and about 6-7 seconds to launch.

This morning was dead calm and I took advantage of that, headed to the northern training area and 'paddock bashed' for 1 1/2 hours...to much fun to be legal !!!!!

First spin up I got 300 rrpm and let he go, very smooth. 36 litres of fuel on board, so nearly a full load. Off the ground in no time at all.

Second spin up I got past 300, I saw 308, 307, 309, 308 and then 310 rrpm and let her go! Same thing.

My cut and strapped new stick with tig welds for added security worked great. Full back stick now at the rotor head and brake up front forward of horizontal. Adjustments to the tophats and rotors excellent.
Nil stick shake and can fly hands off (guarding the stick) with no problems at all.
Lifted both feet off the pedals (2") at 500 feet from 35 to 55 knots S & L and the tail tracks true and does not flutter. I certainly would not have conducted this test yesterday. Seriously the wind sock was at the horizontal for most of the day and the Predator (Geoff's new gyro) and Monarch lapped it up.

Chopped the throttle with various rates and Monarch noses over into a glide approach attitude, it does not pitch forward abruptly. I did this again from 35 knots increasing in 5 knot intervals to 55 knots and the Monarch did not suddenly pitch forward on any occassion, it noses over gradually.

I had a blast over the last two days. I am very happy with upgrades 582 rotax, 40 litre Jerry Goodwin seat tank, new stick shape and Metro Launch System pre-rotator...did I mention it spins the 75 lb Patroneys 23 1/2 footers to 310 rotor rpm. :smokin:

Fly Safe,

Mitch

Here you go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhu2MokE5N4

Sounds like your having too much fun. By the way, I get 390 rpm, a lot more if I'm not careful :rolleyes:
Dave
Mosquito XE3

Yaw Mon! That's what I'm talk'n about!
Excellent pilot report and testing, and love the video of the short takeoffs!

What is this METRO LAUNCH SYSTEM prerotator? Educate me please. PICTURES! 300RRPM in calm winds?

I've been in a cave since last April. I just crawled out.

I went to the web site. No pictures of the MLS. So please post some pics so I can see it.

I guess the prerotator rpm required in order to lift off more or less immediately depends on blades used, auw, and headwind available?

I was referring to the 'Grail' of zero/few yards forward roll Tim.

I still salivate at Jay's Carter copter demonstrator taking off.

I still salivate at Jay's Carter copter demonstrator taking off.
Me too, that is exactly what got me looking into gyros in the first place!
He said he's looking to find someone to license the design, wonder what he wants for a license fee?
Also wonder how many of you would buy a butterfly set up like his jump gyro?
PS:
And those weighted blades would fly differently, wouldn't they?

Yes I gather not nearly so responsive. Always some trade off.

I finaly got my deposit on the two place back when the cost estimate went up to 250 K, that and the bottom falling out of my 'Gyro' plot at Port St Lucie.

Bought that when I was a flight instructor in the 60's at Opa Locka. Figured it might be a good investment some day. Might just buy me the wheels on a Xenon now. It's in the right area, I gather Mike Bantum lives near there.

G'Day Gerg,

There are plenty of videos of the US Monarch and Aurora doing MLS pre-rotations.

Also search this site for photos under Metro Launch System or MLS and Super Slider Head for pics of my installations.

Leigh, the 310 was done the next morning in nil wind, I could have gotten more as I was now where near full noise at that stage. The heavier composites take longer to wind up but should still be able to get to 320-325 without much fuss.

If you have 25 knots of wind lift off can be almost immeadiate, with nil wind you will require that 25 knots or so ground speed to get off.

Cheers,

Mitch.

Greg,

Thanks for sharing. It's always good to have a second source confirming performance claims. Glad the Metro Launch System is working for you as advertised. Does the Belt driven MLS for the 582 use the air piston engagement system that he has on the shaft drive version for the 4 strokes?
I am guessing that makes is pretty simple to operate. Keep up the flying and sharing with us.

Gyro Doug

Hi Greg !

I´m adoring Your Metro-Launch-System since I "fell" on Your hp last year !

Methinks it´s the best prerot-system on the market right now. Hope that the European manufs rake a look abroad and buy a licence of Your patent and build it into their gyros.

Helps prevent T/O accs, the faster You´re off the more secure You are, esp. on muddy airfields.

Congrats

Angelo

Metro Launch System current day adaptation.

Metro Launch System current day adaptation.

G'Day Angelo,

I shall let Larry know of your complimenary post. Thankyou.

Mate the MLS is a Hoot!

I reckon Larry would be the first to tell you that a belt drive pre-rotator is not a newly designed device. Apparently there was a bloke here in OZ back in the early seventies had one on a gyro and no doubt there in the USA and in Europe, this type of device has been built and flown.

Having said all that, the way Larry has configured this type of device, its switch functions, air operated piston air ram and ease of engagement and coupled to the 582 rotax engine in the Monarch, is unique and works a treat. (As does the Aurora 912s shaft drive version). Larry is a clever fella and on a mission and G Force Landing Gear and these pre-rotators along with the Super Sky Cycle (roadable rotorcraft) are indicative of his dedication.

After a partial left arm/hand paralysis and two spinal surgeries, a pre-rotator was essential. Larry offered the electric or the MLS and i know what I'd rather have, I'm guessing you do too.:whoo:

I have been testing it for a while and fine tuning the System, I am seeing NO major wear and tear on any visible moving parts. It will be interesting to determine whether or not taking power from the front of the engine causes any problems or shortening of the TBO time line.

Of course it is still early days and I personally look forward to an ongoing evaluation of the Metro Launch System pre-rotator on my Monarch. I love it!

Hey Doug,

Mate I post stuff, cause I crave seeing vids and reading informative posts that further my interest and knowledge base. I hope folk get some value from mine.

Also I am a big fan of the Grand King PooBah, ( I think that is how Kerry Cartier PRA Safety Guy and Journalist, once referred to Larry in an article.)

Larry made it his mission/mandate to reconfigure the AC gyros to CLT and he was the Chief Test Pilot for the CarterCopter for a few years and now he is about to do what he said he would all along.

The 582 MLS does use a compressor fed air ram to put tension on the belt.

Looking forward to seeing your SSC on the road.

Cheers,

Mitch.

PS attached is the first version which appears to have cable pull tension system rather than an air ram.

Attachments

• Metro Launch System 1.JPG
    Metro Launch System 1.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 1