My ideas for Mentone 2011

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Matt,I use to be in the IAC, what you can do is see if the local chapter would like to have a play day as we called it where the chapter members would come in have a cook out and spend an hour or so critiquing each others flights.

It was a lot of fun to watch the play days.

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Great ideas!

Lets remember that we need 4 things for a suggestion to work.

3. Volunteers to make it happen

Keep in mind at this point we still need volunteers for the day to day operations of the event.

Well if I can make it to Mentone, you know I am glad to Volunteer for anything I can help with. I like being more then just a spectator and getting right in where the action is.

had a blast at Bensen days doing the Heli opts and helping Stan with the other contests.

Mentone is on my to do list, just got to see how my funds go.

MrGrey

Thats is what I was thinking he might of meant.

I am intrigued.

Gary Goldsberry has requested boxes in the past.

However, we stopped doing the box requests because we always had FAA officials stopping by to monitor the box usage and we had to re-arrange the flight line to meet the requirements of the box.

I don't recall the details but we stopped requesting the boxes because of the extra work it put on setup and other constraints I don't recall now.

Maybe Gary remembers what the issue(s) were.

Can they do a 'show' above 1500ft without the box?
I think that with a little help from the IAC members that are very familiar with the requirements necessary to successfully procure the waiver we can do it. I will continue to work on this feasibility study.

I will also ask about a display above 1500' if possible.

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
Yes that's what I meant,walk around,preflight,what's wrong with this gyro, call it what you will. Focussing on education,have a deadline for entrys then maybe a forum type demonstration of a proper pre flight with instruction. In a world of unlimited prizes I would suggest two prizes, one non-pilot ,one pilot,
Maybe we could get a couple of gyros together for this.

I do hope to be flying mine a good bit but I would be happy to volunteer my Twinstarr if we can work out a time and date in advance. Let see if we can get a couple of machines for this?

For the cross-country events and similar events we are talking about this Indiana sectional might help:

https://secure.in.gov/indot/files/aeronautical.pdf

Attachments

PTKay

Gold Member
Aircraft
Socata Rallye
I didn't know, that Mentone is so close to Warsaw. :)
I am also just 15 miles form Warsaw, but Warsaw, Poland. :(

Chuck Roberg

Gyro's are more fun
Aircraft
SnoBird Tandem Gyro, Robinson R-22, Assorted Fixed Wing
Total Flight Time
Warsaw is a city in Indiana and the county seat of, Kosciusko County, Indiana, United States. Cradled among Winona Lake, Pike Lake, Hidden Lake and Center Lake, Warsaw is nicknamed "Lake City," though other cities in the surrounding area are also referred to by that nickname. As of the 2010 census, Warsaw has a population of 13,559.

:focus:

Dmorris

Aircraft
I currently own an IFR Carbon Cub FX3. This is my 3rd Carbon Cub. Owned a Xenon, 2 TAF 2000's.
Total Flight Time
Thousands and adding every week!
I can do Frankfort, Paris and London on 1 tank of gas in my gyro. They're all in Kentucky.

Dmorris

Aircraft
I currently own an IFR Carbon Cub FX3. This is my 3rd Carbon Cub. Owned a Xenon, 2 TAF 2000's.
Total Flight Time
Thousands and adding every week!
I'm planning to come up early and I'll be glad to help where I can..

okikuma

Additional Ideas for Mentone

Additional Ideas for Mentone

Here are some ideas to ponder.

One type of aerial demonstration that has become popular at some of the Southern California Airshows is inviting an Academy of Modeler Aeronautics sanctioned Radio Control Model Aircraft Club to fly and demonstrate their RC aircraft, especially jet powered RC aircraft. No FAA waiver is needed and these clubs are self insured.

Another fun group to invite is a local National Association of Rocketry club to come and fly their model rockets. Like the AMA, The NAR is also self insured.

Invite a local American Radio and Relay League Ham Radio Club to come out and set up a field station. While there, perhaps these Ham guys could offer assistance with testing and setup with aircraft antennas on your gyroplanes (hams always like a new radio challenge).

The reason why I suggest the PRA should invite these groups of hobbyist is because they will attend at their own expense and bring all their own supplies and support equipment. In addition, these hobbyists, often spend much more money on their hobbies than it cost to build, fly and own a gyrocopter. You'll be surprised that some of not many of those guys would become interested in gyroplanes because flying a gyro would be cheaper!

While I'm on a roll. I'm sure that there are several members who are musically inclined. Why not bring their musical instruments and provide musical entertainment in the evenings? Invite local blue grass, country, or jazz groups to come out and just have a jam secession. Most musical groups often meet regularly at a location to practice, why not invite them to the airfield and practice there?

Lastly, this one ideal and been rolling around in my head since I was there at Mentone last year. Perhaps the PRA could borrow from the local National Guard Armory a couple of GP Large Tents, some cots, and a water buffalo trailer (for fresh drinking water). These cots could then be rented for a nominal fee to PRA members to sleep on at night at a much cheaper rate than paying for a hotel room and the expense of driving back and forth.

Wayne

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
Thank you for the ideas Wayne!

We have been in contact with some R/C autogyro clubs but we are looking for more! Once some things are agreed upon info will be published in Rotorcraft magazine.

If anyone knows anyone with contacts for the other ideas presented please work with us to make it happen!

Ham and rockets would be very cool!

If someone is willing to contact some of these organisations I will be happy to be the PRA point of contact and do what I can to make them welcome at the convention.

MrGrey

Update! I have spoken to the local IAC Chapter and more importantly a competition airshow pilot regarding the feasibility of a display at our event. The gentlemans name is Greg Aldridge and has been flying aerobatics for over 20 years and is a staple on the airshow circuit. He has a great amount of availability for the event and would put on a 15 minute hard hitting display for the audience. In addition he has a surface waiver and can perform all the way down to the ground for an "in your face" performance. You can see his website at http://aldridgeairshows.com

In addition he has some video on youtube at:

YouTube - Greg Aldridge - First Part of Performance - Wings of Victory Airshow (Lancaster, OH) 8/16-17/08

Keep in mind that his display would be up front and personal and also roughly 2-3 times the length of this video.

He is very willing to assist us in getting the appropriate waivers for a legal display and is very knowlegable in the subject. Fees would typically run around $1000-$1300 max for a display of this nature. I am willing to "put my money where my mouth is" and pony up $100 for the display. I would bet that if properly advertised locally we could increase spectators and event attenders enough to offset some costs associated with this endeavour. I would expect this, like the fireworks, to be a highlight of the event and overall bring attention to aviation, our sport, and the convention.

I am not interested in going on a witch hunt for a half assed display that will take more work than its worth trying to find a "budget" pilot. He carries full insurance and is properly rated for these types of events and I think that this is a fair amount for his travel, resources, display, and expenses.

Maybe there is some interest here and maybe not, however, I wanted to at least give some show of intent and desire to make our event more attractive to the masses and bill it as a rotorcraft and aviation enthusiast event. I would be happy to get some feedback on whether this would be something spectators and pilots alike would be interested in seeing at our convention.

P.S. I am still in contact with the skydiving facility and working through some particulars and expect notice sometime this month.

Thanks,

Matt

Adam H

Aircraft
Dominator
Sounds like we've got some good stuff happening here! I've recently gotten reacquainted with my ham radio equipment and am in the middle of taking a 6 week Saturday morning General upgrade class. I will look into ham clubs in that area and see if we can get a station set up for the event. If any other hams want to join in or help or have any info on the best way to get this going, please PM me or we can even start a new thread.

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
I would bet that if properly advertised locally we could increase spectators and event attenders enough to offset some costs associated with this endeavour.
The gate fees go to funding the PRA and the general cost of convention infrastructure, the cost of performers would have to be raised in advance. We can't take the chance of running into the red for a 20 min fixed wing show.

Also, as posted we need to find out from Gary what problems having a waiver caused us in previous years and make sure those can be corrected.

(see post #17 and #7)

Last edited:

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
Sounds like we've got some good stuff happening here! I've recently gotten reacquainted with my ham radio equipment and am in the middle of taking a 6 week Saturday morning General upgrade class. I will look into ham clubs in that area and see if we can get a station set up for the event. If any other hams want to join in or help or have any info on the best way to get this going, please PM me or we can even start a new thread.
Paul Plack is or was involved with some Ham Radio stuff I thought. You might want to shoot him an email. His email address is in the magazine.

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Not trying to be a party pooper here, but a fixed wing aerobatic shiow at a rotorcraft event and payin for it? I have been grounded at Mentone the last 3 years with no rotorcraft to fly, and I have been plenty entertained with watching the rotorcraft fly. I would be much more in favor of having our skilled pilots such as Steve McGowan, Ron Awad, Matt Novotney, Gary Goldsberry etc, put on a daily routine of what these machines can do. I feel keeping our airshow demonstrations in house qould be more in tune with our "rotorcraft" event, and not be outlaying more money. There are plenty of fixed wing aerobatic shows around, but this is our premier event. I just had to say my opinion, but will support whatever we decide to do! Stan

MrGrey

The gate fees go to funding the PRA and the general cost of convention infrastructure, the cost of performers would have to be raised in advance. We can't take the chance of running into the red for a 20 min fixed wing show.

Also, as posted we need to find out from Gary what problems having a waiver caused us in previous years and make sure those can be corrected..
.[/QUOTE]

Understood... and this is not a promise that it can be done, rather a promise fulfilled that I would look into feasiblility and make it an easy yes or no decision for persons in power to decide. If the money becomes existent and enthusiasm garners then it happens or If no money exists and the enthusiasm is lacking then it doesn't happen.

We can't make decisions w/o information to base them on. Ideas are just ideas and we need to make sure we go to these efforts to find costs and feasibility. No sweat off anyones back and I am happy to do it. I still hope to garner support for this and would like to see if there are any persons who would want to help make this happen.

I have some concern about our watering down of the convention that is supposed to be a rotorcraft and aviation extravaganza. We need to keep submitting ideas and follow through with making them a reality. The more ideas the more likely that one of them might take root and happen.

I like some of the R/C ideas and other niche interests. I hope they happen. I would like to see some more focus on broader interests that have a greater amount of interest to the public and pilots alike. We need attendance getters, and incentive for pilots to attend. I brought up the issue of an aerobatic performer b/c I feel that it is more likely than a forum on horizontal stablizers to bring in the masses. Let's keep the ideas flowing and bring something new to the convention! :hippie:

MrGrey

Not trying to be a party pooper here, but a fixed wing aerobatic shiow at a rotorcraft event and payin for it? I have been grounded at Mentone the last 3 years with no rotorcraft to fly, and I have been plenty entertained with watching the rotorcraft fly. I would be much more in favor of having our skilled pilots such as Steve McGowan, Ron Awad, Matt Novotney, Gary Goldsberry etc, put on a daily routine of what these machines can do. I feel keeping our airshow demonstrations in house qould be more in tune with our "rotorcraft" event, and not be outlaying more money. There are plenty of fixed wing aerobatic shows around, but this is our premier event. I just had to say my opinion, but will support whatever we decide to do! Stan
I brought it up as an idea and did the research as to what it would take to do something like that...well we found out. No one said we had to do it but somebody had to see what it would take. If we found out it was gonna be 100.00 bucks you might be singing a different tune and be happy to have another draw for spectators to the event. The idea is to bring in people..period. If they are there they will see gyros. Otherwise we shouldn't have PPC's there either b/c they are not "rotorcraft"

Mind you that last year Steve McGowan, Ron Awad, and Gary did not fly...and two outta the three didn't attend and flying overall was WAY down too. We gotta bring ideas to the table and see what it takes to get people to the event. Not saying a FW display is the right way but we are gonna be faced eventually with having to invest in ourselves and not try to only do what is free and convienient. A buisness man once told me that free and convienient is another way to say boring and cheap.... (i know thats not always the case...but usually)

Just my two cents...

Last edited:

willisbr

Aircraft
Maule MT7-235; RAF 2000 (sold)
I don't see how adding fixed wing activity to a gyroplane event is a good idea. More gyro. More cow bell!

The Brewton fly-in doesn't charge an entrance fee. How can we get that?? Local donations, help from the chamber, bake sale? What's the goal here? Make money, boost attendance, both? Or fun for the pilots that do show up to fly? I'm coming to fly and meet. What does everyone else go for? My first time. Is it similar to BD?

MrGrey

I don't see how adding fixed wing activity to a gyroplane event is a good idea. More gyro. More cow bell!

The Brewton fly-in doesn't charge an entrance fee. How can we get that?? Local donations, help from the chamber, bake sale? What's the goal here? Make money, boost attendance, both? Or fun for the pilots that do show up to fly? I'm coming to fly and meet. What does everyone else go for? My first time. Is it similar to BD?
The convention is one of the only times the PRA apparently makes money. The other is membership fees. Boosting convention attendance makes more money for the PRA. We added Powered Parachutes last year and there was no problem they were there and it added to the whole effect of the convention. So adding other aviation interests was effectively a good idea because it brought more people and thus revenue. I applaud Scott Lewis and persons associated with that decision to incorporate other aviation interests. Cross promotion is a good thing. If we try to be isolationists in a sense we loose.

My intention with this thread is to be more interactive and bring up ideas and the means to back them up with to make a better convention.

I go to the convention to meet up with flying friends and make new ones. It is like Bensen Days but a much smaller airport and strip. Activity is more close-up and personal and everyday there is a breakfast run that has seen upwards of 20 gyros at once leaving and returning in mass. Attendance seems to favor BD more often lately but relatively close. I think that BD's has the advantage of many members already on the field and the closest gyro to Mentone is me at 30mi. Everyone has to travel there to attend. I think you could expect a similar experience when coming to Mentone IMHO.