My fisrt training day on MTO

Nasser

Hello
Today was my second day of practical training , I finished the ground school .
My flying instructor put me in the front seat MTO-Sport .
He showed me the walk around checklist then pref light procedure , I was bit hesitated to set in front honestly for the first lesson :angel: but I found it helpful to get use to the cockpit instruments and get the pilot sense.
He asked me to hold the stick and do the rotor engagement clutch.
He made the radio with ATC and takeoff , it was nice , I got some fear on 1200 feet for the hovering demonstration and the craft capability.
today I gained some confidence on heights , I made turns practice and nose up/down (pitch) and yaw .

Thank you for sharing your adventure Nasser.

Thank you for sharing your adventure Nasser.

What a nice first post.

Welcome to the forum.

Please keep the reports coming.

Those who have been there like to recall their fun and those who haven’t had the experience would like to know of the fun ahead.

Thank you, Vance

...I was bit hesitated to set in front honestly for the first lesson...I got some fear on 1200 feet...today I gained some confidence on heights

Welcome, Nassar!

The view from a gyro looks radical until you get some experience. Then, it becomes one of the major attractions!

Altitude is nearly always an advantage, especially as you leave the airport environment. It is difficult to push back against instinct, but your instructor can help you grow to appreciate height.

Please continue to share your adventure!

Thanks folks
I made some fly ride before I selecting the MTO as training . our Airfield hangar has all types of gyros and trike , Calidus , Cavalon and MTO's
I flown trike as passenger put didn't found myself comfortable I felt it too sensitive to the wind:rapture: .
The Cavalon has the side seated advantage but I noticed that most of them are for sale , I asked my instructor and he told me that it has some performance issue due it shape and engine get hot quickly (we have hot weather except from (Dec-April) .
Calidus might be my target though passenger view is limited compare to the MTO open to air passenger seat .
So each has its cons and pros .
Radio communication with ATC is challenging for me now .:director:

Nasser - Good Luck with your training.

Please post a photo or two if you can.

Regards

Steve

Thanks Nassar, also for your post, you made me remember way, further back, than i thought i could remember. congratulations on getting started, you will forever remember your first lessons.

Wayne Hubbs

Here are some photos

Attachments

• IMG_9180.JPG
    IMG_9180.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9197.JPG
    IMG_9197.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9204.JPG
    IMG_9204.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9178.JPG
    IMG_9178.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9201.JPG
    IMG_9201.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9182.JPG
    IMG_9182.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9167.JPG
    IMG_9167.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9181.JPG
    IMG_9181.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
some more photos

Attachments

• IMG_9185.JPG
    IMG_9185.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9198.JPG
    IMG_9198.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
Hi Nasser - thanks for the photos. It looks like you certainly have a fantastic modern fleet of gyros there.

Does it get too hot to fly sometimes - do you tend to fly in the morning and evening and miss the middle of the day ?

Regards

Hi Nasser - thanks for the photos. It looks like you certainly have a fantastic modern fleet of gyros there.

Does it get too hot to fly sometimes - do you tend to fly in the morning and evening and miss the middle of the day ?

Regards

Hi Steve
only summer time , nowadays the weather is fantastic :plane: it's even cold during night , so most pilots wear jackets.
summer start from July till october .
We fly between 13:00 to 17:00 sunset time .

Cold seems so relative here. 16 degrees Celsius as being cold, would be considered a nice temperature (bit chilly at max) at my place (Amsterdam) and would be considered warm short sleeve weather in even more Northern regions.
But heck, i have seen people wearing thick coats in Hong Kong when it was 18 degrees Celsius, them considering that as very cold.

Hello Nassar,

I also have the opportunity to fly all three models, but I mostly choose the MTO, even in cold weather (and cold means below freezing here). It is just the primal flying feeling, with the wind rushing by, that gets me.

Kai.

Yesterday was our final day of the ground school :first: , but we did the oral radio communication test .:phone: .
Honestly I'm bit slow in this part , I feel it's a new language that needs continuance practice .
So all student will come back today for radio revision
would like to hear others experience on the radio training part please and the best way to practice ATC communication .
asking for departure /landing /taxi/info/ and so on ...

Yesterday was our final day of the ground school :first: , but we did the oral radio communication test .:phone: .
Honestly I'm bit slow in this part , I feel it's a new language that needs continuance practice .
So all student will come back today for radio revision
would like to hear others experience on the radio training part please and the best way to practice ATC communication .
asking for departure /landing /taxi/info/ and so on ...

What have they taught you about communications? The three WWW's?
Who where what

How I manage radio calls

How I manage radio calls

I have had a traumatic brain injury and the symptoms include poor short term memory and difficulty multitasking.

I have made up laminated radio call sheets with what I need to say and blanks for information that changes. I use a wet erase marker.

I have a map of the airport on the back so I can mark my taxi instructions on the back as ground gives them to me.

In the beginning I had what I expected to here in red and what I was to reply in black. Now that I have a little experience I just have what I need to say and I can make it bigger and easier to read.

I took a regular clipboard, narrowed it, added another clip at the bottom and my wife put elastic straps with Velcro to attach it to my leg.

SBP is a class Delta airport with a tower.

KIC is an uncontrolled field and I am addressing the other aircraft on the common traffic advisory frequency.

For class Charlie I use two sheets so I have one for arrival with my transponder code and one for departure including clearance delivery and my departure transponder code.

Your regulations and recommendations may be different but you can understand the concept from the two I posted here.

I get things in the proper order and don’t leave anything out. I don’t forget my reporting point because I have written it down.

Good Luck, Vance

SBP 212MSL 1,112’ Rnw 29/11 25/7
ATIS 120.6 (805)545-9638
T 124.00 G 121.6 Unicom122.95
Wind_______ at ______kts runway____
San Luis Tower Experimental 142 Mike Golf
With Info_____________Inbound to land
___miles to the N W S E At ________feet
Make___________________________
Report__________________________
Wind_______ at ______kts runway____
San Luis Ground Experimental 142 Mike Golf
At ____________________________
With information _________________
Taxi to _________Via___________
San Luis Tower Experimental 142 Mike Golf
Holding short of runway_______
Ready for Departure, Request

KIC 370’ 1,170 11/29 4,479
U 122.9 W 120.8 (831)386-7456
King City area traffic
White Gyroplane
10 miles to the N W S E
at_____________________feet
Inbound for 11/29 to land King City
Forty Five, Mid Field, Base, Final, Clear

King City area traffic
White Gyroplane Lining up for takeoff
11/29
____________Departure to the N W S E

Last edited:
Tomorrow will be my third day of training , I'm keep read the Pref-light Inspection ,Starting Engine,Taxing,Engine Run Up ,Rotor Starting,Take Off,Climb Out & Cruise,Landing,Taxiing and Stopping Rotor and Stopping Engine procedures:plane:
I hope tomorrow weather will be nice for flying with my instructor:director:
BTW , for the 360 turning do I need to use the rudder along with the MTO stick ? last time I didn't and I noticed it's bit hard without rudder while maintaining same altitude :plane:

BTW , for the 360 turning do I need to use the rudder along with the MTO stick ? last time I didn't and I noticed it's bit hard without rudder while maintaining same altitude :plane:

Hello Nasser, listen to your flight instructor first.

In the gyroplane I fly (The Predator) I lead with a little left rudder entering a left turn and lead with a little right rudder exiting a left turn. During the turn I don’t use much rudder.

I use left cyclic when entering a left turn, neutral cyclic during the turn and right cyclic when I want to roll out of a left turn.

I have found if I don’t keep the yaw string straight back (uncoordinated flight) I lose more altitude than if I maintain the yaw string straight back (coordinated flight).

I have found all turns require an addition of power to maintain altitude and air speed.

Good luck, Vance

Hello Folks
Today I finished 4.6 hours on MTO sport training , the Rotor Starting procedures is bit complected and need very close attention .
as you have to do it in order.
every time I'm get tension during this procedure!!

Hello Nasser

Welcome to the forum and congrats for starting your flying training.

Practice, practice and practice it will come to you soon. Inshallah.
When you are free sit in the gyro and just think of the procedure and as Mr Vance Breese said write down the Radio comm ritual or record it on your cell phone and keep on play back till you memorize it.

It is a tense process dont worry, I was paranoid and my legs would shake from fear of failure, transition to solo, I was 17 years old.

Wish you the very best, good luck and fly safe.
Allah Hafiz.
Rehan