My Fav

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
get-photo.asp
get-photo.asp

Bryan I have never seen one in other than a picture. Are they smaller than the mini 500?
There is a black one for sell now on BS. Its been wrecked but repaired. Lots of them for sell now on ebay and BS.
Are you building one? Harry

hja,

I am not a Mosquito owner, builder, nor pilot. But I am a Mosquito enthusiast. John Uptigrove who designed it, is a fine man. His love for God developed his business ethics. He treats folks right.

The guy who runs the manufacturing plant in Florida, get high marks from everyone who has ever dealt with him.

T best, most practical one is the XEL ultralight with the 2-cylinder 60+HP engine gets you in the air for $10 to $15 per hour.

Not a single Mosquito has had any significant mechanical issues. It's about the same size as a Mini 500 but doesn't sit that high.

This is John Uptigrove, the Canadian guy who designed the Mosquito.

get-photo.asp

This is Dwight Junkin who runs the factory plant, in Trenton, FL.

get-photo.asp

The engine for the XE and XEL. Canadian MZ-202.

get-photo.asp

Rotor head and T/R gearboxes parts.

get-photo.asp

get-photo.asp

get-photo.asp

Last edited:
Fine looking pieces for a Heicopter. It looks pretty simplified.
I do know that there has been a few upgrades to rotors and the engine.
I don't think you can beat there auto rotations either. Looks simple and dependable.

This is what Rotax Rick says on the MZ202.
Quote-O boy. I hate to hear that. The 618 was rebuild able. The case needed welding. We just used all the parts off it for a 670 engine. The MZ 202 has main bearing failure problems. Now they have a 10 hour piston life. The piston pins are falling out. I sold a 503 about 1 1/2 years ago to a guy with the Mosquito. He loves it.
Rick

The MZ 202 has main bearing failure problems. Now they have a 10 hour piston life. The piston pins are falling out. I sold a 503 about 1 1/2 years ago to a guy with the Mosquito. He loves it.
Rick

But is anyone else saying that who doesn't have a vested interest in pushing a competitor's product?

Fine looking pieces for a Heicopter. It looks pretty simplified.
I do know that there has been a few upgrades to rotors and the engine.
I don't think you can beat there auto rotations either. Looks simple and dependable.

If I tried to do a hovering auto in a Huey at an equal height (scale wise) I'd splatter it all over the place. Really impressive performance no doubt. Unfortunately it's only single seat and would be very difficult to do any kind of cross country in (unless you had the turbine of course). I wonder if there is any kind of a real metal firewall between you and the turbine engine on that though ?

I have heard that also else where on the engines. They did have some sort of a recall. There are a lot for sell right now. Who knows.

My 2 cents

My 2 cents

Quote-O boy. I hate to hear that. The 618 was rebuild able. The case needed welding. We just used all the parts off it for a 670 engine. The MZ 202 has main bearing failure problems. Now they have a 10 hour piston life. The piston pins are falling out. I sold a 503 about 1 1/2 years ago to a guy with the Mosquito. He loves it.
Rick

Well, I am not going to flame Rotax Rick because I have never talked or dealt with him....BUTTT!

I had a friend who flies a Kitfox with a grayhead 582 in it. I was his CFI for all of his Sport Pilot training in that airplane. The engine ran perfectly for all the time I had in it with him. He bought it used and it and the engine had 300 or 400 hours on it when he purchased it.

I was a pretty accomplished Rotax 582 guy because I had 100 hours in a Mini-500 with one. The Kitfox NEVER gave one ounce of engine trouble. We tracked oil consumption closely and jetted for 1150-1175 EGT's with almost no carbon buildup.

Now recently, my friend reached 600 hours and sent the engine to Rotax Rick for a rebuild including crankshaft replacement.

Now when it came back, Rick gave my friend instruction on everything that had been done WRONG and the way that engine had been run WRONG for the last 600 TROUBLE FREE HOURS!

He had removed the oil injection system and told my friend he was using the worst oil in the world. He had changed every stupid jet in the engine including even the jet-needle, and he didn't bother sending the ones he removed back!

When my friend installed the rebuilt engine, the jetting was so bad it would barely crank and run.

I formed an pinion from this one situation, that Rotax Rick is a LEGEND IN HIS OWN MIND who either doesn't know what he's doing or he was drunk when he said all the things my friend said he said.

For the Mosquito's MZ-202...I think The Uptigrove/Junkin machine makes some pretty significant changes to the stock engine before it goes into the helicopters.

I am almost positive that these guys have ZERO PROBLEMS with it.