My Dominator Build

I haven't flown in front of a Hirth that quit... right then. Thankfully, it waited until a few flights after the ride I took. Then it quit on the aircraft's owner, dumping the aircraft and him into the woods and wrecking the plane. Too bad, it was a very sweet 2-place Drifter.

Hirths have had serious quality-control issues in the past, basic things like batches of parts that didn't get heat-treated and misligned casting molds. Given this history, I think the burden's on Hirth to show that they've cleaned up their act. If they have, then good.

Barry,
None. I was just adding to the yanking of your chain that Ron was doing. As for Hirth reliability/quality control just ask anyone other than Scott who has owned one. Hirth is German for MAC.

Last edited:
Doug summed it up well. Hirth has a good product on paper, and if only their manufactoring was better they would have a better product than Rotax. But they have been selling engines expressively for aircraft use with shoddy manufactoring tolerances and then when you have a problem they say it was your fault, and then they don't want to pay to fix it.

Fan bearings that are known to seize.... Vibration level too high, causes parts of the engine to crack or unscrew ( Even Scott has had this happen with his 4 leaf clover Hirth! )....... Engine cases not machined to match each other.... The crankshaft problems Doug mentioned.... Spark plugs that are known to be spit out ( yeah sure, proper torque and locktite may keep em in there, but I have yet to have a plug come loose or blow out of any of my rotax engines and I don't even own a torque wrench and never use locktite on my plugs ) .......... Clutch units breaking, especially often if used on a gyro with a prop driven pre rotator..... Fuel injection units not working properly, often needing re calibrations or add on manual mixture controls to keep the engine within EGT limits.....

Like I told Barry, it is a good engine on paper. Maybe these newer water cooled Hirths will be better than the older air cooled units. Barry did say there is better customer service for Hirth now, so maybe if he has a problem they will fix it for him. I just think it is a big gamble going with a Hirth, when Rotax seems to have gotten all the bugs worked out of their engines years ago. I do think Barry will be okay with his, He seems to have good luck on stuff like this ( he has bad luck with used engines and water hoses going to the washing machine in his house! ) I am happy for him as he is nearing the end of his build - he thinks there is still alot to do but If he worked on it steady and had all the parts here he could finish it by this weekend. He wants to have a gyro that will kick my gyros butt, and I think his gyro just might be able to do it. :)

Screw-In

I need a status report Sir.:phone:

Screw-Out

John, a report from you would be nice also, sir !!

I started a job,( new department store, electric ) close to my airport.

I may fly my SxS tonight right after work !!

Taxxied without blades for about an hour last night....looks good, blades tonight !

Now I gotta read forum at 4:30 AM !

John,

Shhhhhhhhh!:wave:
Soon grasshopper....soon!

Getting closer!:whip:

Ron.....control rods have plenty of clearance!:der:

Barry :)der: ) K

I'm going to be peeing like a racehorse this weekend!!:whoo:

Barry (bladder boy) K

Well Gentlemen....here she is...motor break-in went without a hitch!

Hang test was very good...test flights tomorrow with Mr. GyroRon doing the honors!:der:

Attachments

• DSC00743.JPG
    DSC00743.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00747.JPG
    DSC00747.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00746.JPG
    DSC00746.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 1
Two more for John "Screw" Stevens!

Attachments

• DSC00748.JPG
    DSC00748.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00752.JPG
    DSC00752.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 1
Oh, almost forgot....Hirth's Rule!

Scotty,

E-mailed a guy Down Under who distributes Hirths....said I can use one of the fuel injector leads to run the tach....make sense to you???

Barry (purrrrrrr) K

Screw-In

Loooooooooooks Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:peace: I love seeing new machines hatch. I love the "Jimmy Buffet" theme and I feel honored with the skull and wings.

You "Da Man!":whoo:

I look very forward to your test flight report.

Screw-Out

I like it too !

What diameter Ivo ?

What Hirth is that(model #) ?

Chris,

60" IVO and 3503 Hirth 70 hp.

BarryK

Way to go Barry! Pilots of the carribean, LOL!
I like it!
Try the fuel injector lead, I didn't have any luck with mine until I tried the other regulator.

Good luck on the test flight!!!

Hey Barry, I dig the mismatched tires! Adds a whole new level of curb appeal to the machine!

See you this afternoon. I am surprised your still awake!

Barry spent all his money on other stuff Ron, and couldn't spring for new treads!
Put the knobby tire back on the mini-bike in the hangar!:tape:

Didn't anyone notice that in the pics I posted...there were no control rods???

I figured Ron could just reach up and move the rotorhead!