MTO Sport - Prerotator

Mike Stone

Self Induced Grounding
Aircraft
none
Any one had the compressed air to the Prerotator piston just stop flowing. All other pneumatic funtions like rotor brake still work.

Last edited:

magknight

Aircraft
Cessna Skylane, AutoGyro Cavalon (Due in May), Arrowcopter AC20 (sold) / MTOSport (sold)
Total Flight Time
300+
Mike, you can have a leak on the flight side of the pneumatic system and not the brake side. I doubt it's the cylinder, likely a hose leak. Do you get pressure building when you engage the pump in flight mode?

Let mennow if you'd like help tracking it down. I'd be happy to stop by and catch up!

- Jason

Uncle Willie

Aircraft
AutoGyro Calidus.
Total Flight Time
It could Just be the button isn't working.
It could also be the diode that enables the compressor in the Pneumatic control box is open circuit.

Did the compressor actually run when the Pre-rotator button was pressed?
It may be hard to hear with the engine running.

The pre-rotator system will operate even with the engine OFF.
Even if the clutch engages, there is a second, tiny, gas piston that engages the Pre-rotator shaft to the big sprocket gear just under the head.
If the small gear does not get lifted into the big sprocket, the symptoms are the same as if the clutch didn't engage.

In detail, What are your symptoms?

Texasautogyro

Gyro Master Instructor
Aircraft
AutoGyro MTO Sport/Cessna 172
Total Flight Time
3800 with over 1900 in gyro
Mike i have had one of the cylinders go bad however check to see if air iis flowing those air system get sticky when not used regularly. The magnetic valves stick and hoses need re seated. I have had luck using neumatic tool oil just a drop after the pump to help keep things from gumming up. I also have seen the valve that bleeds off the air at the belt piston need adjusted.

twistair

Living in the Skies
Aircraft
none own :( currently flying Calidus mostly
Total Flight Time
Don't know exactly, ca. 3000 hours
Any one had the compressed air to the Prerotator piston just stop flowing. All other pneumatic funtions like rotor brake still work.
I had similar problem in a Calidus recently. Compressor works but air doesn't come to cylinder. The reason was that some very small particle blocked the jet which regulates airflow speed to cylinder. This particle could be a result of oxidizing inside pneumo system. Disassembled, purged off with air pump, works now.

Piot135pd

Here to Learn and Help
Aircraft
2013 MTO Sport is my "starter gyro". I trained in one so I might keep it or buy another make & model
Total Flight Time
You live and learn, thanks !