Mto pre-rotator air ram

Rick E

Aircraft
Cavalon and an MTO Sport
Total Flight Time
I recently had a problem with the air ram on my pre-rotator when the ram rotated in its bracket and rubbed against the prop housing. This wore through the pneumatic fitting losing all air to the pre-rotation system. Not a disaster but pretty inconvenient. Might be worth adding an inspection of this item to your pre-flight.

I'll definitely look and see if mine is showing any indications of being ready to do that. Do you lubricate the pre-rotator belt every time?

Air Ram?? Can anyone clarify what you are calling air ram? Thanks in advance.

Yes I should have called it a pneumatic actuator. Since having my problem I have checked two or three other Mto,s and the PA is fairly loose on all of them. It is mounted in rubber and needs to be free to flex but there is nothing to stop it rotating within the bracket and like mine did, rub on the prop housing.
I have since cable tied the pneumatic fitting to the PA bracket with a little rubber buffer between the two. Potential problem fixed.
I generally only lubricate my prerotator belt every ten flights or so.

I generally only lubricate my prerotator belt every ten flights or so.

You should really spray it with a little silicone spray every few flights. A generous spray really reduces the torque load substantially. Yes, it's a pain, and yes it creates ugly spray on the tail. But it would probably help with your issue.

-John

Chris and I had a defeactive air restriction valve on our Titanium. We were pleased 'Festy' (red Titanium)
had a backup manual system, so no worries until we got a good valve installed.

fj

Rick it really is good to silicone spray that belt every morning and after every 4 or 5 perorations. It just solves problems.

Only use silicone spray sparingly, though. Use too kuch of it and it takes a long time to prerotate or you won't even get up to nominal speeds.

A better solution is to use some baby powder on the pulley.

-- Chris.

Only use silicone spray sparingly, though. Use too kuch of it and it takes a long time to prerotate or you won't even get up to nominal speeds.

A better solution is to use some baby powder on the pulley.

-- Chris.
I like that! Then it will not mess up the tail, maybe just make it smell nice.

And you won't make any rash decisions either ;)

-- Chris.

HA!

I will definitely try that! I hate the mess silicone spray makes on the tail.

Might I humbly chime in here and suggest the use of very inexpensive
Corn Starch as a belt dressing. A small amount goes a long way in allowing
the belt to purposely slip on initial engagement considerably reducing any jerking
and sudden torque. It has no degenerative ingredients which would adversely affect
the rubber and leaves very little residue. I have been using it for the last 10 years
(very successfully) on 3 different machines and still have 1/2 a jar left. Pretty cost effective, huh!

It's been 3 years since the baby powder suggestion, anyone still doing this or have all reverted to the silicone ?