MTO Overtaken by Sonex on Taxi - March 10, 2020 - Granbury TX

Anyone been rear ended on taxi? Here a Sonex plane taxied behind and ran into an MTOSport. Prop and rotor damaged on the gyro. Both were single pilot no passengers. Watch your six.

The visibility of a conventional gear (taildragger) Sonex is better than other taildragger aircraft. Nevertheless, no matter how good the view is, there will be some restriction of view straight ahead. Thus it is always the responsibility of the taildragger pilot to always be aware of the limitation and to taxi slowly and safely. Performing mild "S" turns while taxing is one way to assist in seeing potential obstacles ahead of the aircraft.

Wayne

You never know. In Formula 1 Grand Prix, with the world's best drivers, seven-time champion to be Lewis Hamilton rear ended then champion Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari while he was stopped at a closed, red light, pit exit, and took both cars out of the race. (Canada 2008)

Last edited:
He was probably trying to get close enough to figure out what it was. Maybe gyros need to hang one of those flags off the aft blade when taxiing like you do for overhanging loads on a truck :)
Rusty

Wow. That's all I can say.

Here's an inside cockpit view of a Sonex.

A little over ten years ago, I was presented with an opportunity to fly a Sonex solo. Just as in the above video, that particular Sonex had one control stick centered in the cockpit. I'm a large guy so I sat in the middle of the cockpit with each foot on the outer rudder pedals. The brakes are activated by a motorcycle lever on the control stick. I could see over the nose in the three-point attitude, however I still performed mild "S" turns when taxing.

It is a fun flying little plane; and it meets Sport Pilots requirements.

Wayne

Hummm
That Sonex pilot must own a broken MTO now .
Thats a very expensive mistake 👀

Hi Boots,

I’m headed to Mooresville NC in May to look for airports and place to live. My brother is there. Any advice on airports for M24? dludwig02m on gmail too.

Thanks,
Dave

I was taught to announce my intentions before taxiing out. Did either pilot make the announcement? It is not mandatory on a non-towered airport, but, just good practice.

I was taught to announce my intentions before taxiing out. Did either pilot make the announcement? It is not mandatory on a non-towered airport, but, just good practice.

I always announce where I am (North hangars, clearing at Juliette) and where I'm going (15, North hangars.)

I'm constantly amazed at how few people do that, so I've often ended up waiting for traffic I thought was going to taxi straight towards me (so I stop short of that taxiway) only to see them head off for the fuel island or whatever. Even if I say "holding on Juliette for traffic on Alpha."

So, I announce, but I swear a lot of people aren't even listening until they're pulling onto the runway :(

Hi Boots,

I’m headed to Mooresville NC in May to look for airports and place to live. My brother is there. Any advice on airports for M24? dludwig02m on gmail too.

Thanks,
Dave ,
Dave,
You probably won’t have any trouble finding a house. New homes everywhere 😂
I don’t know for sure but most likely you will have to get on a waitlist to get a hangar around the Lake Norman area.
3 of us from the Mooresville area keep our gyros at KAFP Anson co. airport along with other gyro pilots. We are the
Carolina Barnstormers 👍

May 18-22 2023 is an excellent time to visit .
Barnstormers Spring gathering at KAFP usually FW pilots from across the region and gyros from many other states show up and it is always a good time .
If I hear of any available hangar space will let you know 👍

Run into the back of a car on my 1960 Honda Dream once when I got distracted by a leggy blond on the footpath. It was a true blond moment.

Hi Boots,

Thanks,
Dave

Check out Waxhaw NC or the surrounding area. You might like that better than the Mooresville area. A friend of mine just bought a airstrip in waxhaw ( Unity ) it is a decent sized grass strip, and he is in the process of building hangars, you could likely get one if you get on it soon. Mooresville is about a hours drive north.