Mr Toad prepares to become a gyroplane private pilot

I'm a little confused. Isn't almost all training time valuable? Surely it all counts toward the hour requirements. Just because you are having a lot of fun doesn't mean you're not learning! :giggle:

I'm a little confused. Isn't almost all training time valuable? Surely it all counts toward the hour requirements. Just because you are having a lot of fun doesn't mean you're not learning! :giggle:
That was my thinking, Tyger.
Once you hit the target every time CFI pulls power from anywhere in the pattern.

Where is the fun, challenge, in that?
It's the exact same boring maneuvers practicing it in my Fixed-wing for 1000's of hours, only at a steeper glideslope, without adding vertical descents. Now it is a real challenge adding vertical descents and I fail so much more.
PS:
And Henry is filling out Gyropedia towards my license. Not sure of the holes we will need to go back and do to complete it.
I do not pay any attention to that.
We go fly what he says and when we get by a practice area we play.

If I die tomorrow, at least I would have experienced about 90% of what a gyro can do.
If I die and get to experience 100% of what a gyro can do. I will die happy without MAN's recognition that I ever got my Add On.

I'm making myself REALLY HAPPY. The license with come when that is done.

Last edited:
PS:
Thank you Vance for the phone call. Really clarified my procedures. And he described to me two of his air-show routines to practice this week.
These are going to be so much fun.

Oh and I'm going to TRY and not be a perfectionist with my higher standards. The lag in the instruments Vance explained will and has me fixated on the altimeter way more than flying FW.
Accountants have to have everything balanced to the cent = perfect. This is going to be the hardest to break.
I'll reduce my standards to commercial and try to teach myself and believe that is perfect with the instrument lag.
I certainly will not have to scan the altimeter as often which = more sightseeing time.

Last edited:
Thanks John for posting your experiences. I have enjoyed reading everyones post. I have not started my training yet from FW to the Gyro but I imagine I will have a lot of the same problems. When you make that trip around the 48. ur welcome here in Michigan anytime. just drop me a line
Kurt

PS:
Thank you Vance for the phone call. Really clarified my procedures. And he described to me two of his air-show routines to practice this week.
These are going to be so much fun.

Oh and I'm going to TRY and not be a perfectionist with my higher standards. The lag in the instruments Vance explained will and has me fixated on the altimeter way more than flying FW.
Accountants have to have everything balanced to the cent = perfect. This is going to be the hardest to break.
I'll reduce my standards to commercial and try to teach myself and believe that is perfect with the instrument lag.
I certainly will not have to scan the altimeter as often which = more sightseeing time.
What I described was not necessarily an air show maneuver John; it is a way to accurately reach a landing zone and a way that many gyroplane flight instructors practice for engine out landings.

I feel a straight in engine at idle landing is too narrowly focused and too easy to be a good learning tool.

It is a necessary skill to master for the practical test standards, it is not an end in itself.

I used the example of my air show routine to illustrate what I was describing.

My airshow routine is about demonstrating the capabilities of a gyroplane while staying as far away from the edge of the envelope as practical.

I do not want people to imagine that I am teaching you to show off when in fact my intention is the exact opposite.

Being able to land accurately when an engine fails is an important skill in any aircraft.

I am trying to help you have more options than a vertical descent to reach a landing zone that is directly beneath you.

I was also trying to explain that trying to fly to tighter standards is not better and if fact it reinforces the bad habit of focusing on the instruments rather than the sight picture.

In my opinion looking outside, seeing and feeling what the gyroplane is doing and what she wants will make you a better pilot.

Don't allow the instruments to become a distraction.

Thanks John for posting your experiences. I have enjoyed reading everyones post. I have not started my training yet from FW to the Gyro but I imagine I will have a lot of the same problems. When you make that trip around the 48. ur welcome here in Michigan anytime. just drop me a line
Kurt
Now you are in trouble Kurt.
Don't you be saying you don't know me when I show up, I'm All-IN to meeting new friends, life is a party if you let it be.,

That is the purpose of this thread to help others FW'er learn the major differences and similarities.
The biggest difference is the steps before you add full power on take-offs.

Practice the take-off steps at your desk or kitchen chair until they are automatic. Then start your lessons.

They switched rides on me and I kept looking for gauges that have been moved.
A tip Vance just gave me that I'm passing on to you.
Take a picture of the instrument panels of the gyros the CFI owns that you may be trained in.
Then fly your desk chair with it displayed on your computer or have it blow up and printed on cardboard.

Wish I had taken pictures and done that it took a couple of hours to learn it in the air.

I like that advice John ( & Vance). I was able to fly a MTO gyro a few weeks ago and the pilot let me actually do the flying. That was the only real problem I had was locating the different gauges as I was taking off.

I know what you mean. Creates delayed action and your head in the cabin going no that's not it, no, no, no, there.
The only good thing I can say about it. I do know the state of the aircraft having scanned almost all of them?

When climbing out I automatically pull power to cruse before I reach the assigned altitude to ensure I do not overshoot it. Then I sometimes have to add a couple of hundred RPM to gently arrive at the exact altitude.

It's fun until they move both the RPM and Airspeed indicator?
Thank God I looked at the airspeed to know when to climb out at Vx so it becomes only one game of where oh where has my RPM gauge gone.
It does make me laugh at myself.
So far even my worse day of piloting a gyro is better than anything else!

Last edited:
PS: because we will be flying in Mexico will get and add a Radio Station License (international flights only)

The documents needed in the aircraft are:

The way to remember what documents you need is with the acronym AROW.
  • Airworthiness Certificate
  • Registration Certificate
  • Operating Handbook
  • Weight and Balance
And for International flights, it is spelled correctly.
ARROW
  • Airworthiness Certificate
  • Registration Certificate
  • Radio Station License (international flights only)
  • Operating Handbook
  • Weight and Balance

It is not legal to fly any registered aircraft without these documents IN THE AIRCRAFT. That includes certified aircraft too.
Did you ever get any additional info on flying to Mexico? I’m in the process of getting a Magni and would be interested in taking her there at some point. Thanks!

Does Mexico permit operation by sport pilots (or private pilots using sp privileges)? It is not an ICAO-compliant rating, so for many of the pilots on this forum it's serious question.

Does Mexico permit operation by sport pilots (or private pilots using sp privileges)? It is not an ICAO-compliant rating, so for many of the pilots on this forum it's serious question.

As I read through the ICAO pilot certificate requirements, it looks as if a medical certificate is required. I would think SP operations in Mexico would not be permitted.

Jim

Ramp Checks

The Mexican Authorities have informed AOPA that as of July 20, 2021, the high season will begin and with it, ramp inspections will begin nationwide by the Civil Aviation Authorities (AFAC).

We share with you the list of documents that will be requested:

Valid Pilot's License.
Valid Medical Certificate.
Airworthiness Certificate.
Valid Registration Certificate.
Current Insurance Policy. Part 91 - Indicating coverage in Mexico, Part 135 - MUST have Worldwide Insurance AND Mexican Insurance policy issued in Mexico.
Noise Certificate.
Log book. We recommend that you bring photocopies of the last pages of the aircraft's maintenance log book, which show that the aircraft is airworthy and IFR current.
Radio Station License.
Weight and balance documentation.
Aircraft Flight Manual (AFM/POH).
Minimum Equipment List (MEL).
Adequate and up-to-date charts covering the route to be followed by the intended flight, as well as any other route by which the flight could possibly be diverted.
Flight Plan.
For charter flights: Valid Aircraft Operator Certificate (AOC), showing where the aircraft can operate.

Please allow enough time to go through this procedure and remember to verify that you have with you all the documents mentioned above.

As I read through the ICAO pilot certificate requirements, it looks as if a medical certificate is required. I would think SP operations in Mexico would not be permitted.

Jim
I guess I should have added: Mexico will permit operations in Mexico by pilots using Basic Med.

I believe a gyroplane pilot, with at least a private pilot certificate, can operate his aircraft in Mexico under Basic Med.

In the operating limitations of your [experimental] aircraft, you will find the following, or a similarly worded, statement:
"This aircraft does not meet the requirements of the applicable, comprehensive, and detailed airworthiness code as provided by Annex 8 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation. This aircraft may not be operated over any other country without the permission of that country."
In order to get permission, contact Mexico’s Embassy in the United States. It is suggested that you receive permission in writing.

In the operating limitations of your [experimental] aircraft, you will find the following, or a similarly worded, statement:
"This aircraft does not meet the requirements of the applicable, comprehensive, and detailed airworthiness code as provided by Annex 8 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation. This aircraft may not be operated over any other country without the permission of that country."
In order to get permission, contact Mexico’s Embassy in the United States. It is suggested that you receive permission in writing.

Thank you- that’s helpful- good link. I’ve read about guys flying their gyros around the world as well as guys with experimentals flying to South America. Do you think they contacted every country for permission?

I believe the gyros that flew around the world were factory-built and certified in the UK – not "experimental" – so the rules might have been different for those.

Which Magni are you getting?

Last edited:
I believe the gyros that flew around the world were factory-built and certified in the UK – not "experimental" – so the rules might have been different for those.

Which Magni are you getting?
I’m getting the M24.
Btw there’s an excellent presentation I found on YouTube that’s done by a guy who owns an Rv. His channel is called Build Fly Go and he did a presentation on a trip he took to Brazil. The very last question in the Q&A was on this topic. He made it sound like it was a nonissue in the Caribbean but in Mexico it was up to the individual comandante and you should call ahead. That some airports were more lax than others.