Mr Toad prepares to become a gyroplane private pilot

Just curious, does Mexico recognize Basic Med? (Canada does not)
What about Sport Pilot privileges? OK in Mexico?
According to the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) to fly in Mexico you must have:
Passport
Pilot certificate with an English proficient endorsement
Medical certificate or BasicMed
Restricted radiotelephone operators permit.
In the same article AOPA mentions that there are more ramp checks in Mexico since covid 19.
There are also links to several sites that have additional information about flying to or in Mexico.

Not flown there in 7 years. They have never asked me for my medical either. But that does not mean it has all changed.

Understand Mexico. The severity of the laws is only matched by the laxity of enforcement as long as you pay the fees is the general rule.

Last edited:
We have a treaty with Mexico.
What I know for sure is the treaty is to accept all US-registered aircraft.
Apparently there was some recent (February 2021) confusion about that, and I had not heard that it had been officially resolved:
According to the BBP’s Jack McCormick, over “the past several weeks, we have had two Experimental aircraft denied entry into Mexico, one at Nuevo Loreto and the second at Mar de Cortez (Rocky Point). Upon finding out the details from both incidents and reviewing airworthiness certificates, it seems that on almost all airworthiness certificates, there is a statement on the back side that, in part, indicates that the certificate is not approved for international travel unless approved by the country it was entering. And this is exactly what the comandante of the international airports that turned back the aircraft told me. I have followed up with calls to additional Mexican AOE comandante and they indicated to me that this has been overlooked for years, however, now aircraft with airworthiness certificates that contain language that restricts them from international travel will be restricted from travel in Mexico.”

Apparently there was some recent (February 2021) confusion about that, and I had not heard that it had been officially resolved:
According to the BBP’s Jack McCormick, over “the past several weeks, we have had two Experimental aircraft denied entry into Mexico, one at Nuevo Loreto and the second at Mar de Cortez (Rocky Point). Upon finding out the details from both incidents and reviewing airworthiness certificates, it seems that on almost all airworthiness certificates, there is a statement on the back side that, in part, indicates that the certificate is not approved for international travel unless approved by the country it was entering. And this is exactly what the comandante of the international airports that turned back the aircraft told me. I have followed up with calls to additional Mexican AOE comandante and they indicated to me that this has been overlooked for years, however, now aircraft with airworthiness certificates that contain language that restricts them from international travel will be restricted from travel in Mexico.”
Tyger thank you so much for the new status in Mexico.
This is the last night before inspection for the airworthiness certificate and cannot believe my good luck to learn this.
Will be proactive with the DAR tomorrow to assure we can fly in Mexico. Perfect timing my friend!!

That brings up a question:
Is it the DAR who would exclude the ARGON or does the FAA add it after the inspection?

Published fees or Baksheesh!
Hi Bobby,
We Mexicans have our own word for that.
"La Mordita"
"The Byte"
Pre 2000 it was almost 100% of the time to get bit. But the Mexican fees compared to California or even Texas were so cheap few cared.
If the fee was $10.00 they wanted $11.00 or $12.00 and they looked like they needed it to feed their family.

Pre 2000 it was similar to AL Capon owning cities officials and judges but the USA/FBI finally clean it up.
Same for mordita in Mexico officials and police started to get fired.

Today traveling by car through several Mexican states. It appears random if they will or won't take "the byte".
The ones that don't. You know me I want to know...
So I've asked several who do not take the byte.
All answered with the same meaning. They are immoral, I'm not. Or they are crooks, I'm not, and they hurt our country.

Last edited:
That brings up a question:
Is it the DAR who would exclude the ARGON or does the FAA add it after the inspection?
The DAR puts together the official operating limitations that go with the Airworthiness Certificate, but I don't think they are allowed much leeway in what that contains these days.
However the relevant language is printed in section D on the back of FAA Form 8130-7, the Special Airworthiness Certificate proper, so it's basically "carved in stone", I would say.

Last edited:
My experience was in the 60/70s taking beer into Mexico. Annual Easter Vacation trips to Puerto Penasco from Arizona. Always had to put a little cash in the cooler! The border agents always let you know if the amount was inadequate.

The DAR puts together the official operating limitations that go with the Airworthiness Certificate, but I don't think they are allowed much leeway in what that contains these days.
However the relevant language is printed in section D on the back of FAA Form 8130-7, the Special Airworthiness Certificate proper, so it's basically "carved in stone", I would say.
Thank you, Tyger.

My experience was in the 60/70s taking beer into Mexico. Annual Easter Vacation trips to Puerto Penasco from Arizona. Always had to put a little cash in the cooler! The border agents always let you know if the amount was inadequate.
Yes me too.

I have a question.

About how long is the delay in a Cavalon's blades from the time you move the stick to when it actually changes your pitch?
Don't understand the question....😄

That is why I called John on the telephone.

From our talk I felt he wanted to quantify the length of the delay from cyclic input to pitch and I explained that depended on the input and enough other factors that it would be impossible to quantify the delay and it would not be useful information even if we quantify it.

I explained to him the process that allows a pilot to pitch a gyroplane and feel we gained some understanding.

We should find out if it worked the next time he flies.

Teaching is more challenging using words without the means to demonstrate.

I learn about being a better flight instructor from this process with John and he doesn’t charge me.

Attachments

• 1s.jpg
    1s.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 2
My writing sucks too Barry.
Vance beat you teaching me. You are one of the pros who could have easily taught me too... over the phone. Thank you for trying!

Wow, I couldn't even buy beer in the 60s & 70s...

I asked about the limitation of flying EBA's into international airspace specifically her into Mexico.
He said yes that has been on all of them for years but Mexico let us fly there.
I told him not anymore!!
He said there is a special form we are supposed to fill out asking permission to fly in their airspace and technically Mexican are supposed to fill out a form to fly here.
He cannot remember the form because he never had to fill one out.
He suspects some smart airport manager has figured out a way to collect more fees.

Finally, starting the 3rd hour of takeoffs and I FEEL her now!
I know where she is and what she is goding to do.
This is so much fun.

Forgot what forum I read this but someone flew to Mexico and some paperwork expired preventing them from flying back to the states and they had to leave the plane in Mexico… I wouldn’t want to fly there with all the corruption.

Forgot what forum I read this but someone flew to Mexico and some paperwork expired preventing them from flying back to the states and they had to leave the plane in Mexico… I wouldn’t want to fly there with all the corruption.
Hi Dave
Did you hear the one about the elderly, couple, on vacation? Only 5 years ago.
At the 3rd Airport, they landed and turn into the fuel dock to be greeted by ten uniformed men holding what looked to them as machine guns.
Shouting to get out of the plane hand up.
The wife was hysterical with fear and the husband could not get her to move, let alone let him get out, which only escalated the threats with them holding the gun on the plexiglass to her head screaming at her they will shoot.
Finally, the Husband got his hand around her to unlatch the door.
They tore her out of the plane and threw her on the ground. Bloody her face, hands, and legs.
Same treatment for the husband.
I would NOT like to fly in or to that country either.
It was mistaken identity of course and the United States TSA apologized profusely.
There are horror stories I've heard about every country including ours.
If I let those stories stop me from living life to the fullest. I would have never sailed the 7 seas for 20 years exploring, and learning so many cultures without one horror story happening to me.
All my real-life traveling adventures all have happy endings.
Even the memory of my Son being stung by an Irukandji jellyfish which is one of the most dangerous organisms on Earth.
He lived through it. One of the few!!

PS:
90% of the public tells me they would never fly a gyroplane they are too dangerous.
50% of the FW pilots tell me that same thing.
Why because they have heard horror stories.
If I had believed in horror stories as the rule rather than the rare exception. I would not be flying the most fun aircraft that exists on the planet.

I believed that if I let the Cavalon nose wheel hit on take-off I would tip over.
Why because I heard horror stories and rumors. And I do not care for a hard coupled nose gear on a gyro.
But she flies great and lands great just hold the nose gear up until it falls down by itself, as you do in all soft field landings.

Last edited: