Mounting my action cam

axelg

I am looking at mounting my Insta360RS action cam to the Calidus i fly. Ideal would be to mount it outside somewhere. I've seen some cool shots when mounted to the mast.

However I am a bit concerned what would happen if the mount fails and it ends going through the prop.

That leaves the tail, which kind of limits the view.

Any suggestions on how to safely mount my action cam?

Thanks!

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex
Total Flight Time
300+
I mount mine on the mast, I also have a zip tie around the mast with a fiding leader going through the camera housing and the zip tie

loftus

Aircraft
Aircam; Previously owned Autogyro MTO
Total Flight Time
800 hours
With a 360 camera you'd really like the camera set off from the aircraft with some type of pole mount to get unobstructed 360 video.
I've gone to the trouble of fabricating such a mount off the nose of the aircraft, but for safety and rigidity it requires proper fixation to the nose of the aircraft. My mount is fixed with four screws to a backing plate fibre glassed into the nose cone. Of course you may not want to go to all that trouble.
Probably some of the nicest gyro video stuff I've seen lately is from Henry GyroLife with his 2017MTO. Look him up on Facebook as Henry GyroLife and I'm sure he'll be most helpful with advice.

schmoe90

Magni M-16 Sport Pilot
Aircraft
Magni M-16
Total Flight Time
>1000
I've recently started mounting my One X2 (standard screw on camera mount) on one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Delkin-DDMNT-TRIPLE-Gecko-Three-Arm-Suction/dp/B00A86MMY8

I can turn it on and off from the cockpit, which is nice as the thing eats memory and battery power :)

I've tied a paracord around the structure of the mount, and the other end goes around my seat belt so I'll know if it lets go and I can just pull it back in - that's just my paranoia, a friend's flown with the 2 suction cup version stuck on his RV-6.

Henry uses a long selfie stick out the side, tied to the passenger side bars (MTO Sport) with his One X.