Motavia

bpearson

This engine was supposed to be the 'next great thing' when it appeared in the UK in the mid ninetees. Four stroke 60/80 hp, fuel injection, not much weight over 582 etc. They even copied the Rotax mounting bolt pattern so you could just swap engines, no problem.

I thought it had died but saw it on an American site. Maybe it is an old site. New engines appear, but still Rotax rules !

Attachments

• motavia.gif
    motavia.gif
    50.8 KB · Views: 0

Neil Hintz

Have a look at the gearbox in the picture, does this look big enough? I think you will find thats what killed it off originaly. Also it required a ballance shaft that was nearly as heavy as the crankshaft, but it sure looked nice.

bpearson

I think the gearbox was an issue but I remember it had a complex engine management system that would overule the pilot if for instance full power was applied before temps were ok. A 'get you home' mode would kick in if any problems in flight occured. Every time it stopped in flight tests the reason given was that it had shut itself down !

The specs were too good to be true. 6l/h, high tbo's and parts that were standard Ford truck.

Many people in the UK put down deposits and it would be interesting to know what became of it or how near it came to be the engine to rival Rotax.

Attachments

• motaviaontrikerunning.jpg
    motaviaontrikerunning.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 0